Author Topic: Able KONE  (Read 57846 times)

ecc

Re: Able KONE
« Reply #45 on: November 03, 2010, 10:56:21 AM »
In again!  The no paper, no full-immersion, one atmosphere pressure combo is unique!

northwestmark

« Reply #46 on: November 03, 2010, 11:03:27 AM »
Peter,

The KONE provides a wonderful combination of body that nears that of a french press, but allows a lot more of the acidity of the coffee to shine through without any of the oils being lost. It is designed to allow some fine grinds through, but not sludgy sediment like you'd get in a press.

Mark

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
  • splitting bags and having fun
« Reply #47 on: November 03, 2010, 11:09:28 AM »
Peter,

The KONE provides a wonderful combination of body that nears that of a french press, but allows a lot more of the acidity of the coffee to shine through without any of the oils being lost. It is designed to allow some fine grinds through, but not sludgy sediment like you'd get in a press.

Mark

So basically a Swiss Gold filter? only made from stainless steel and priced about 3 times as much?
[url=http://www.greencoffeebuyingclub.com/index.php?board=37

northwestmark

« Reply #48 on: November 03, 2010, 11:18:49 AM »
Does a Swiss gold filter produce a similar body as a French press?

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #49 on: November 03, 2010, 11:22:44 AM »

Also, I believe the SG filter allows a too-fast flow.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
« Reply #50 on: November 03, 2010, 11:33:34 AM »

Also, I believe the SG filter allows a too-fast flow.

1.yes
2. no

Just look at that cone what do you think Logically can make the flow any slower than a swiss gold? Is that even something that they say it does?

Peter- I have the exact opposite problem with my swiss gold filters Paper filters flow much faster in my coffee makers. I have to leave my caraf in my newco about 20 seconds after the brewing stops, where as with the paper filter when it beeps its done.

I don't see anything from this product that would lead me to believe there is anything unique that isn't in a swiss gold filter already, other than it has a pointy end and it looks like you might be able to buy a specific caraf that it fits in. I don't even want to guess how much that handblown in the USA glass caraf would cost.

Offline YasBean

• Standard User
  • Lever that sucker!
« Reply #51 on: November 03, 2010, 11:34:02 AM »
Is this for the 1-3 cup Chemex? ($25.68 at Amazon)
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 11:35:44 AM by YasBean »
Londinium L1, Bullet R1, Compak E8, VBM DB, Vario, Hario Vac

northwestmark

« Reply #52 on: November 03, 2010, 12:11:02 PM »
Good question. Maybe Keith can answer some questions tonight when he's off of work. I plan on using the Kone with my 8 cup chemex. I think Keith can probably address how his kone differs from a gold cone filter since he experimented with multiple ways to do brew coffee but wasn't happy with any of them.

Mark

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
« Reply #53 on: November 03, 2010, 01:18:35 PM »
Good question. Maybe Keith can answer some questions tonight when he's off of work. I plan on using the Kone with my 8 cup chemex. I think Keith can probably address how his kone differs from a gold cone filter since he experimented with multiple ways to do brew coffee but wasn't happy with any of them.

Mark

Ahh I see the 8 cup version has the proper filter holder. At least you can pick up a chemex for $36  ;)

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #54 on: November 03, 2010, 01:49:47 PM »

Mark

Ahh I see the 8 cup version has the proper filter holder. At least you can pick up a chemex for $36  ;)

What makes you so set against this thing, without having tried it?  Those who have seem to think it's worthwhile.  But you're willing to poo-poo right off the bat. 

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
« Reply #55 on: November 03, 2010, 01:52:14 PM »

Mark

What makes you so set against this thing, without having tried it?  Those who have seem to think it's worthwhile.  But you're willing to poo-poo right off the bat. 

It's very simple Peter, ready?.....$50 for a piece of bent foil. I don't care if it's made by monks at the top of Mt. Everest I don't see how a cone of metal should be more than $10

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #56 on: November 03, 2010, 01:59:32 PM »

Mark

It's very simple Peter, ready?.....$50 for a piece of bent foil. I don't care if it's made by monks at the top of Mt. Everest I don't see how a cone of metal should be more than $10

The dude explained in a very forthright manner what his manufacturing costs are and with our discount he's not banking much if anything.  Just because you think it's a piece of bent foil and shouldn't cost more than $10, doesn't mean a thing.

So, you're against this thing because you feel people are being scammed.  That's very valiant of you, protector of the poor masses who are all to willing to open their wallets.

But...  if the guys costs are genuine (and you should be at least a wee bit appreciative that he's wanting to produce it here and not in China) and it produces a better cup, why not let the Kone stand on it's own merit and not be Mr. Negative?

Tex

« Reply #57 on: November 03, 2010, 02:05:08 PM »

Mark

The dude explained in a very forthright manner what his manufacturing costs are and with our discount he's not banking much if anything.  Just because you think it's a piece of bent foil and shouldn't cost more than $10, doesn't mean a thing.

So, you're against this thing because you feel people are being scammed.  That's very valiant of you, protector of the poor masses who are all to willing to open their wallets.

But...  if the guys costs are genuine (and you should be at least a wee bit appreciative that he's wanting to produce it here and not in China) and it produces a better cup, why not let the Kone stand on it's own merit and not be Mr. Negative?

I don't care if it's the best pour over ever made - $50 is a lot to spend for something that's going to be at best, only marginally better than my $3 Melitta pour over. Of course, I think all of your pour over guys are nuts anyway - espresso is the only way to make real coffee! ;D

milowebailey

« Reply #58 on: November 03, 2010, 02:13:13 PM »
$50 may seem like a lot, but think of the possibilities

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #59 on: November 03, 2010, 02:14:33 PM »

Mark

Ahh I see the 8 cup version has the proper filter holder. At least you can pick up a chemex for $36  ;)

What makes you so set against this thing, without having tried it?  Those who have seem to think it's worthwhile.  But you're willing to poo-poo right off the bat.  

The dude explained in a very forthright manner what his manufacturing costs are and with our discount he's not banking much if anything.  Just because you think it's a piece of bent foil and shouldn't cost more than $10, doesn't mean a thing.

So, you're against this thing because you feel people are being scammed.  That's very valiant of you, protector of the poor masses who are all to willing to open their wallets.

But...  if the guys costs are genuine (and you should be at least a wee bit appreciative that he's wanting to produce it here and not in China) and it produces a better cup, why not let the Kone stand on it's own merit and not be Mr. Negative?

I don't care if it's the best pour over ever made - $50 is a lot to spend for something that's going to be at best, only marginally better than my $3 Melitta pour over. Of course, I think all of your pour over guys are nuts anyway - espresso is the only way to make real coffee! ;D

Robert ... when you're right ... YOU ARE RIGHT!

;D
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski