Author Topic: Measuring Brew Strength - Optical Refractometer - try it travel thread!  (Read 11672 times)

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
Re: Measuring Brew Strength - Optical Refractometer - try it!
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2011, 04:24:45 PM »
I'm pretty sure Peter is describing some baselining for 'standardization' of a single coffee.

I think John's answer will then be 'yes'.

:)

I almost said that if I understand his question it's not any different than measuring in grams.

And yes, I am in agreement with the use of these tools for standardization.

I just don't have any personal need for standardization at this point in time. If I had a shop with teenagers running it and wanted to have a measure for general standards like what I think the Gold Cup was about then yeah, I might use it for that.
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2011, 04:30:25 PM »
Yeah, that was a long way of saying once other variables were removed and a brew ratio was chosen, a person could use the meter as a baseline quality control.

I just don't have any personal need for standardization at this point in time. If I had a shop with teenagers running it and wanted to have a measure for general standards like what I think the Gold Cup was about then yeah, I might use it for that.

That's my stance too; use your palate to be the guide, unless you have employees doing stuff while you're not around.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2011, 04:33:07 PM »
That's my stance too; use your palate to be the guide, unless you have employees doing stuff while you're not around.

I change my no to a solid yes on the above.   ;)
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Tex

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2011, 04:35:25 PM »
I'm pretty sure Peter is describing some baselining for 'standardization' of a single coffee.

I think John's answer will then be 'yes'.

:)

I almost said that if I understand his question it's not any different than measuring in grams.

Standardization of what and why? Coffee tastes much different the day after roasting than it does two-weeks after. It's also been my experience that the amount of coffee it takes to achieve a good tasting cup of coffee varies with each day of staling, so what good does it do to know what concentration it took yesterday? I suppose if one roasted only one coffee each years that might be useful to know - if one standardized every other factor.

Wait, I heard Orwell wrote a book about standardization; maybe all our questions can be answered there? Is 1984 still considered a futuristic book?

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2011, 04:41:57 PM »
Standardization of what and why?

Exactly.

I suppose you would have to dial it in every day and come up with a measure. Just like any q.c. on production you would have to test samples at various times during the day to make sure nothing was moving on you.

Then tomorrow do the same thing.

That's how I think it would be used.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 04:43:56 PM by John F »

Lee Morrison

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2011, 05:21:31 PM »
Tex roasting one coffee over the years really won't work either, as the coffee's themselves change from crop to crop.

There are too many variables to really have a 'standard'.

Measure it with a micrometer / mark it with chalk and cut it with an axe.

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

Tex

« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2011, 07:50:19 PM »
Tex roasting one coffee over the years really won't work either, as the coffee's themselves change from crop to crop.

Aaron

I matriculated at the, "If you can't dazzle 'em with brilliance then baffle 'em with bullshit.", school of process engineering, so I recognize it when I see it.

ecc

Re: Measuring Brew Strength - Optical Refractometer - travel try it!
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2011, 09:19:43 PM »
I have used this for a while, and in my experience the measurements didn't really fluctuate as much with the coffee type/age/roast as much as it did with the brewing type, water:coffee, grind, brew time. 

<jumps on soapbox>
Using a Scace device didn't really subtract from the art of espresso, or phone back to big brother when someone goes outside the parameters.  SO espresso shots outside the Illy parameters are still espresso, nobody gets hurt knowing where the lines in the sand are.  The amount of coffee to water ratio before brewing is obviously important, why not the coffee to water ratio when you drink it?
<falls off soapbox>

Check it out, join the travel loop, curiosity only costs postage to the next destination.  Skeptics especially welcome.

Jeffo

« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2011, 09:26:14 PM »
Speaking as a former analytical chemist, I am unsure how measuring the TDS correlates with the subjective sense of taste.  Your preferred coffee concentration may not be my preferred coffee concentration. 

As a non chemist coffee fool I've been saying the same thing from the first time I ever heard about using TDS meters and refractometers with coffee.

Knowing how many PPM of random solids are in a cup does not tell me what they taste like. I see the usefulness for standardization but that is about all.

But, if someone has the same coffee, ground at the same coarseness, and the same water, can't they bracket their brew ratios, checking the PPM/brix of each one until they find a ratio that tastes 'right' and then use that ratio going forward and check with the gadget in subsequent days to see if the ratio is holding true?

How's that for a run-on sentence, complete with commas and apostrophes?  Jeffo should comment now.   ;)

Longest sentence ever which is longer than my long sentences and I'm also trying to use more commas.

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
Re: Measuring Brew Strength - Optical Refractometer - travel try it!
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2011, 10:39:32 PM »
Using a Scace device didn't really subtract from the art of espresso, or phone back to big brother when someone goes outside the parameters.

Blahahahahaha!

;D

Lee Morrison

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2011, 06:00:50 AM »

Aaron

I matriculated at the, "If you can't dazzle 'em with brilliance then baffle 'em with bullshit.", school of process engineering, so I recognize it when I see it.

Your quote should read, "If I can't understand it or agree with it, then I'll just call it bullshit."

>:D
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

BoldJava

Re: Measuring Brew Strength - Optical Refractometer - try it travel thread!
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2011, 06:46:05 AM »

But, if someone has the same coffee, ground at the same coarseness, and the same water, can't they bracket their brew ratios, checking the PPM/brix of each one until they find a ratio that tastes 'right' and then use that ratio going forward and check with the gadget in subsequent days to see if the ratio is holding true?

That is why Ryan uses the TDS meter in his shop.  He expressed it, "I would like to make sure we are putting out a consistent product."  No commas.

At this point, I am afraid to put any "1st Look" notes up on this thread.  Yikes, in anticipating tomatoes from the onlookers <stubborn smile>.

B|Java
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 06:54:51 AM by BoldJava »

BoldJava

« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2011, 06:52:29 AM »

Longest sentence ever which is longer than my long sentences and I'm also trying to use more commas.

No, St. Paul has Peter beat by a mile.  And one of two makes sense.

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2011, 07:20:43 AM »

That is why Ryan uses the TDS meter in his shop.  He expressed it, "I would like to make sure we are putting out a consistent product."

Makes sense.

At this point, I am afraid to put any "1st Look" notes up on this thread.  Yikes, in anticipating tomatoes from the onlookers <stubborn smile>.

Your firsthand experience should carry more weight than guesswork.....I'm guessing.  ;)

Lee Morrison

BoldJava

« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2011, 07:34:14 AM »

Your firsthand experience should carry more weight than guesswork.....I'm guessing.  ;)

Man, I could even smell the oregano in the sauce that would be coming my way...

B|Java