Author Topic: Sowden Softbrew, Traveling Roadshow - Lottery (Full, no more talent needed)  (Read 10795 times)

BoldJava

I think this should be on the porch when we get home today.  If so, I will give it a whirl and get a post up this week.

B|Java

BoldJava

Too late to cup but not too late to photograph.  Small album here: https://picasaweb.google.com/davidborton/SowdenSoftbrew#

B|Java
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 07:00:48 PM by BoldJava »

BoldJava

Wild Bill (JJRoaster) in a cake-walk.

I will reorder the shipping list so that Bill receives it last and then needn't ship it on.  Thanks all.  B|Java

Shipping order
1. BoldJava
2. HeadChange, paid
3. Ray T, paid
---
5. ReddyK, paid
6. Ron_L, paid
7. JSpain, paid
8. JimEc3, paid
9. Yakster, paid
10. Tyme, paid

4. WildBill, paid *winner*
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 03:46:42 AM by BoldJava »

BoldJava

1st Look

Seattle Coffee Gear's service was prompt.  The packing was stellar
Ceramic - great eye candy.  Very balanced weight in the hand
Top has no "lip lock."  Watch it or it might come off on you when you are pouring
Made in China, drats

Prep (for all except John)
^ Pre-heat pot with hot tap water
^ Pre-heat thermos if you aren't going to drink the 27-ounce capacity brew
^ Measure out 24 ounces so you know how high to pour and bring to a boil
(Note:  This is rated at 27-ounces.  I stayed on shy side to ensure my water was completely saturating the coffee.  Notch up volumes/amounts, as desired but stay below filtering line).
^ Weigh and grind 46g with a press pot grind
^ 45 seconds off-boil, pour 8 oz over coffee.
^ Let bloom for 30 seconds
^ Stir down, swirl down
^ Add remainder of water, stir down again.
^ Make sure your water level is not above micron-filtering holes (coffee filter has a "max" line)
^ Cover and steep for 3:30 min longer (directions suggest 4-8 minutes!)
^ Swirl and pour

Cup (Kona Maragogype)
^ Mouthfeel is similar to a heavy press pot, particulate laden cup
^ Rich in oils, flavors
^ Good cup in comparison to the Hario pourover I did with this particular bean.  Leans too far to a heavy mouthfeel for my tastes/preferences.

Reactions
^ Careful with the top.  When pouring, it gets hot.  Use a thumb to retain in place.  Center is too hot to touch.
^ Watch the top coming off on a pour.
^ Easy cleanup.   Wait till filter/grounds cool, cast grounds to the wind in the yard.  Some residual grounds stick near base.
^ I have large hands (XL glove size) and had no problem getting dishcloth inside filter and pot to wash them.
^ Expect one drop to tumble down the side of the pot after pouring.

Pluses
^ Much hotter/better steeping temp than press pot
^ Full, complete range of flavors in coffee
^ Tactile bonanza

Minuses
^ Top lacks "lip lock," too hot to the touch
^ One drip with pour

Takeaway:  Gorgeous toy to adorn the counter.  If I didn't have a press pot, I would consider this brewer.  Maybe it is a bit too heavy in particulates? Won't be adding it to the arsenal.

On the way to HC4U.

B|Java
« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 08:55:46 AM by BoldJava »

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
  • Roaster: 4# RK Drum
I'm not going to lie; I didn't have high hopes that the Snowden Softbrew (SS) was going to be anything special. After all it's just a ceramic pot with a mesh filter, right?

Boy was I wrong.

The SS looks very nice right out of the box. It's a sturdy vessel that's well designed and pleasing to look the eye. It's very classy looking; something I would probably use if I were serving guests. The construction is very nice. There were no blemishes or bumps in the finish and all the components fit together very well.

The metal filter is very cool. I almost looks solid, like part of it is brushed metal, until you turn it just right. Then you can see the very fine mesh, similar to Swiss Gold filter, but the holes looked smaller to me.

The instructions are somewhat vague, stating things like "Add your preferred amount of coffee." or "Find the roast that suits your taste." or even "Find the grind that suits you best." Leave for 4-8 minutes? In a round about way, I think they are trying to say that is that the SS is a very flexible coffee brewing system, and one should experiment to get the most out of it.

Here's how I made my first brew in the SS:

-I preheated the pot with boiling water.

-I arbitrarily chose a grind setting half way between drip and vac pot (where vac pot is a little less than halfway between drip and espresso on my Mazzer Mini). I added 6 heaping scoops, using the provided  measuring scoop, of some Guatemala La Perla.

-I added probably ~34 oz of  200*F water. The stated capacity of the 4 cup size is 27 oz, but I tend to overfill and I had to accommodate for 2 x 16 oz cups for the wife's and I first morning drink. That amount made the perfect amount to fill those 2 cups.

-Stirred the slurry.

-I waited for 3:30 minutes and poured.

Wow. This think makes a hella good cup of coffee. As expected, it did not produce a perfectly clean cup. There was a slightly gritty, french press look to the brew but surprisingly the grittiness did not translate in to the mouthfeel of the cup. The body was thicker than a lot of other brewing methods, and oily like a french press, but I did not feel like I was chewing my coffee. There was also very little sediment in the bottom of my mug when I finished.

The coffee it made was syrupy and nuanced with lots and lots of flavor and oils. Chocolate flavor came through with weight and the citrus notes were bright and tangy. It was probably the best cup of the La Perla I've had to date.  Makes me wish that I hadn't just roasted the last batch of this bean.

I was thoroughly impressed with the SS and I will be adding one to my arsenal. Highly recommended product. I'm almost sad that it will be moving on to the next person in the traveling road show.

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
Sunday produced yet another excellent cup from the SS, this time using Panama Elida Estate.

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
Hey Dave,

Where did you you get the 4 cup model? All I am finding is the 12 cup model at Clive.

Edit:

Found on Amazon.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 08:49:08 AM by headchange4u »

BoldJava

Hey Dave,

Where did you you get the 4 cup model? All I am finding is the 12 cup model at Clive.

Edit:

Found on Amazon.

No, don't go to Amazon -  $60.  $50 with free shipping at Seattle Coffee Gear:  http://www.seattlecoffeegear.com/Sowden-Soft-Brew-Coffee-Maker-p/scg11528-9-0039.htm
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 03:06:03 PM by BoldJava »

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
No, don't go to Amazon -  $60.  $50 with free shipping at Seattle Coffee Gear:  http://www.seattlecoffeegear.com/Sowden-Soft-Brew-Coffee-Maker-p/scg11528-9-0039.htm

4 cup is $49.95 with free shipping at Amazon. The 8 cup is $59.95.

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
Ray T,

One Softbrew heading your way.

Ray T

Ray T,

One Softbrew heading your way.

Made it safe and sound, 1st test drive tomorrow morning

Ray T

First of all ( IAMNOTAWRITER). So far I have only had time to make 3 pots ( copy and paste B/Java's review and instructions here  ;D) I started with the Vario's adjusters full coarse, made a very good cup, pots 2-3 was ground 2 notches up on the main, macro in the middle. Much better cup, deeper flavor, better mouth feel  with not much more sludge . We will be adding one to the arsenal,also will be giving one as a wedding gift to some life long friends along with a Behmor ( costing me a fortune to ship them coffee now  ;D)

I will be shipping it Wed to ReddyK

Tex

Hey Dave,

Edit:

Found on Amazon.

Find a few friends and it's even cheaper from Amazon.

Special Offers and Product Promotions
Size: 8-Cup

* This item is eligible for our 4-for-3 promotion. Eligible products include select Books, Single Copy Magazines, and Home & Garden items. Buy any 4 eligible items and get the lowest-priced item free. Here's how (restrictions apply)

Ray T

Shipped yesterday to ReddyK

I found if you push the grounds down into the water instead of stirring the resulting cup is much cleaner.  Thanks for doing this Dave

Offline Ron_L

• Standard User
  • Proud Member of the Wisconsin-Illinois Cabal
The Softbrew arrived from ReddyK yesterday and there was a surprise in the box, a sample of coffee!  My wife opened the box so I didn't notice if there was a label or note about the coffee, so I'm not sure what it is. Maybe it's a test? :)