Author Topic: Sowden Softbrew, Traveling Roadshow - Lottery (Full, no more talent needed)  (Read 10751 times)

Ray T

Enjoy the toy,we did. I also sent a sample (unmarked  ;D) to him when I sent it. Never heard if it was drinkable or not. So not telling what it was  >:D

BoldJava

500,000 holes in that filter, 1st interview, at about 0:45.  You Midwest boyz will recognize Kevin Sinnott from when he came up with Rasqual and cupped with us.

Coffee Companion SCAA 2011
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 07:51:06 PM by BoldJava »

Offline ReddyK

• Standard User
I so enjoyed the sample (Central American?) that Ray T sent so much that I included my own. Thanks Ray. As for the Soft brew I enjoyed it very much. I prefer it to a french press as the sediment was finer and less noticeable. I felt that the clean up was much faster that a french press as well.  I also liked the oils that were present in the cup from this brewing method.  I felt that the mesh screen was well made enough to give years of service. Overall 2 thumbs up.
Thanks,
Steve
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
Thomas Jefferson

Ray T

I so enjoyed the sample (Central American?) that Ray T sent so much that I included my own. Thanks Ray.
Thanks,
Steve

Your very welcome, Glad you enjoy the coffee (Malawi Mapanga AAA from cfsheridan) Hard not to like this awesome coffee. Thanks to you also Chad

Offline Ron_L

• Standard User
  • Proud Member of the Wisconsin-Illinois Cabal
I made my first pot in the Softbrew this morning using the coffee from ReddyK.  The softbrew is an impressive toy.  It's heavy ceramic and well made except for the lid.  The lid really needs to either screw in or have a rubber gasket to hold it in place while pouring.  The coffee is good and similar to a press.  I had a fair amount of fines in the cup and in the last little bit that I didn't pour out of the cup, but nothing objectionable.

Now for the mystery coffee sample.  I need to try this with a different brewing method, but I'm enjoying it in the Softbrew.  The dry aroma didn't have anything distinctive that would give it away.  I did get some tobacco and leather, but nothing that jumped out at me.  The cup has medium to full body, not to bright with some dark chocolate that intensifies as it cools.  It's a toss up right now, but I'm leaning towards a Brazilian, but it could be an African, maybe a Tanz?

Offline ReddyK

• Standard User
Ron,
The sample I sent was a Sumatra Mandheling I picked up from Theta Ridge.
Enjoy,
Steve
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
Thomas Jefferson

jspain

Well the Sowden made here to "Patti's Park" a few days ago. I have run her (the Sowden, not Patti) around the block a few times and I like this method and the ease.... I have been sampling the Injerto's with her and boy, French Press without the work. I'm going to buy one since Patti approves! :angel: Jim

I'll be passing on next week!

BoldJava

Thanks, Jim.  Keep it running.  4 weeks to go, Wild Bill.

B|Java

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
Thanks, Jim.  Keep it running.  4 weeks to go, Wild Bill.

B|Java

WOOT..  just in time for those COEs in July

jspain

jimec3,

I have had the brewer for one week. You're going to like her!

I tried to get a PM out to you but the system is not cooperating with me right now. If you'd send me your mailing address I'll box her up tonight and mail her to you tomorrow!  Jim

jimec3

Pm sent. I can't wait. Headed to the White Mountains for a few days, this will be the perfect welcome home.

jspain

Pm sent. I can't wait. Headed to the White Mountains for a few days, this will be the perfect welcome home.

jimec3,

The outside box was getting a bit ragged. I placed the Sowden in it's box and packed it with all the shipping material provided. I then put bubble wrap around the box and placed it into a new shipping box surrounded by peanuts. It will go to the shipper this afternoon. ENJOY!  Jim

BoldJava

The outside box was getting a bit ragged. I placed the Sowden in it's box and packed it with all the shipping material provided. I then put bubble wrap around the box and placed it into a new shipping box surrounded by peanuts...

Good move.  Corrugated material loses 20-30% (minimally) of its strength with each trip down the conveyor.

B|Java

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
  • Roaster: 4# RK Drum
I want one of these, but I'm still trying to decide between the 4 cup and the 8 cup. The larger size would certainly be nice to break out when I have guests over.

Offline Ron_L

• Standard User
  • Proud Member of the Wisconsin-Illinois Cabal
I want one of these, but I'm still trying to decide between the 4 cup and the 8 cup. The larger size would certainly be nice to break out when I have guests over.

Sounds like you need one of each :)