Author Topic: Sowden Softbrew, Traveling Roadshow - Lottery (Full, no more talent needed)  (Read 10753 times)

jspain

I want one of these, but I'm still trying to decide between the 4 cup and the 8 cup. The larger size would certainly be nice to break out when I have guests over.

Jason,

I brought the 4 cup. Seattle Coffee Gear was the only place that I could find the 4 cup. I will take this with me traveling and for smaller brews. I'll still stick with the 8 cup Vac Pot for my main home brewing method. I have the Technivorm but she is only turned on for large quantity brewing and no fuss brewing every now and then when I'm in a hurry or I have lots of guests! The 4 cup is just right for Patti and I especially for the evening decaf!  Jim

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
  • Roaster: 4# RK Drum
I want one of these, but I'm still trying to decide between the 4 cup and the 8 cup. The larger size would certainly be nice to break out when I have guests over.

Sounds like you need one of each :)

How did I know someone would suggest that?  :D

jspain

The Sowden Softbrew arrived today from Jim in good order.  Thanks, Jim.

First test-flight tomorrow.

Glad you got it! It must have been on the "slow boat from China" route???????!   >:D

BoldJava

>>>Glad you got it! It must have been on the "slow boat from China" route?...>>>

Nah, there is a 2nd Jim within our testers.

B|Java

jspain

>>>Glad you got it! It must have been on the "slow boat from China" route?...>>>

B|Java

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS! My bad!   Thanks for clarifying Dave. Enjoy the Sowden those who are left on the list! My new one has been used several times...... Nice addition to the "rabbit hole!"  Jim

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
What grind did you use Yakster?

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

jspain

The grind I used yesterday was pretty fine, the same grind I use for Vac Pot.  I'm not real good at sizing my grinds, but I've got a funny idea about that I want to try out sometime.  On the Vario, the Macro would be above the middle setting and I use the top setting for espresso.

Today, I lowered the Macro to below the middle setting and had less silt and sludge, but still had enough to be glad that I poured into a server first before my cups.  If you stop right when you start to pour silt out, your pretty good... the silt seems to stay in the pitcher pretty well up until you pour out the last of the coffee.

I used 40 g of the Coava Coffee Ibonia Kenya PB, added 400 ml of water for the bloom for 44 seconds, then took it up to 640 ml total water added for a remaining 3:33.

I'm thinking of trying out the Sowden SoftBrew for Cold Process... just looks like it would fit in the fridge pretty well, just need to pick out a bean, maybe the Brazil Moreninha Formosa.

Yakster,
I got a mailing from Seattle Gear and they are talking about using the Sowden for cold brew! Patti, my wife wants me to try it. Cold water or hot?

jspain

I was thinking cold water for the cold brew. 

I hot brew coffee into ice with the Chemex/Kone and am very happy with the results.  Retains all the florals, aroma, and bitterness from the hot version.  I'm less of a fan of cold brewed coffee that just seems muted like someone ran it through a low pass filter or a graphic equalizer with all the base sliders up and all the treble sliders down, but I'm going to go for it anyway.

I agree with hot water for flavor! Cold water, less caffine..... I'll try both and report back. My wife is the cold coffee fan, "not me"!  Jim

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User

B|Java

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS! My bad!   Thanks for clarifying Dave. Enjoy the Sowden those who are left on the list! My new one has been used several times...... Nice addition to the "rabbit hole!"  Jim

LOL.. couldn't help but think of Lewis Carroll 

BoldJava

Great pic. Notice the water droplets as the brew melts.

BoldJava

...Let us know when you get it, I did ship it on, even though I received some back-channel messaging trying to convince me to ship it back down the chain ...

Atta' boy, ignore those meddling scoundrels.  Off with their heads, I say.  Almost there, Wild Bill.

B|Java
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 05:16:05 PM by BoldJava »

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
...Let us know when you get it, I did ship it on, even though I received some back-channel messaging trying to convince me to ship it back down the chain ...

Atta' boy, ignore those meddling scoundrels.  Off with their heads, I say.  Almost there, Wild Bill.

B|Java

good thing I'm not holding my breath in anticipation  ;) 

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
The My Sowden Softbrew's travels have ended (for now) and I am trying to decide what COE from B|Dave to roast tonight...

my initial thoughts? I noticed the hard to clean inner lip..  that bugs me as a professional potter.. its a great place for some unwanted growth if not cleaned and dried well...    Hot Lips likes how everything looks like 'old TV' threw the filter mesh.. I pointed out to her that if you spin the filter as you look it looks like old silent movies...  I better roast some good coffee so I can give you brewing thoughts..  :-X

BoldJava

The My Sowden Softbrew's travels have ended (for now) and I am trying to decide what COE from B|Dave to roast tonight...

my initial thoughts? I noticed the hard to clean inner lip..  that bugs me . . .

You have entirely too much time on your hands.  You just won a gorgeous pot for a $5 spin and you are grumbling like an old man down there in Illinois. <grins>

Enjoy it, gramps.

B|Java
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 04:37:30 PM by BoldJava »

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User

my initial thoughts? I noticed the hard to clean inner lip..  that bugs me . . .

You have entirely too much time on your hands.  You just won a gorgeous pot for a $5 spin and you are grumbling like an old man down there in Illinois. <grins>

Enjoy it, gramps.

B|Java

lol... not grumbling?!?!? just putting my thoughts down on the quality and potential issues!?!?!   ::)