Author Topic: CLOSED, ACCEPTING PAYMENTS - Orphan Espresso Pharos Grinder Traveling Road Show  (Read 16045 times)

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
  • Roaster: 4# RK Drum
The Pharos lands on June 20th at my house.

BoldJava

Organizing the next Chicago Get-Together sometime around late July/early August (7/30 or 8/6). I'd be willing to give up or trade my turn in line in order to have the Pharos at this event.

Bet'cha don't get any nibbles on that one <grins>.  We can have a Fall/Winter event and I can hand it off then.

B|Java

Tex

Just out of curiosity; what are the replacement burrs going to cost? I can't imagine hand cranking enough beans through the Pharos to wear them out, but stones and other debris have been known to get into beans and damage burrs.

BoldJava

Just out of curiosity; what are the replacement burrs going to cost? I can't imagine hand cranking enough beans through the Pharos to wear them out, but stones and other debris have been known to get into beans and damage burrs.

My bursa sac will wear out before the burrs do. <Mental image of Tex couch potato'ing to daytime soaps with Pharos and stale beans to test durability>.

Retail, it looks like $165-$244 for big end conical burrs.  I am sure Doug will offer them down the road at a bit more reasonable price.

B|Java

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
I would suspect that even a dunce like me would know when to stop turning the crank, if the burrs jammed on a rock or other debris.  That's the problem w/ a motorized grinder; by the time you know it's happening, the damage is done.  I can't see that happening with a manual grinder.

My Compak has essentially the same burr set, and the factory says they're good for 3300lbs.  Let's see, I go through a lb./week.  Suppose I get groggy and up that to two lbs./week.  That's only 31.7 years.  Let's say the factory's 'extensive testing' is wrong by a factor of two; rats! I'll only get 16 years out of the burrs.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
The Pharos landed on my door step today after it was delayed a day due to a signature being required for delivery. First impression is that this thing is one beefcake of a hand grinder. Built like a frikkin' tank. I've been fiddling with it a little bit, but I'm taking it to work with me tomorrow to start putting it through the paces.

Tonight I hope to read through some of the experiences and suggestions of people who already own the grinder so that I can make the most of my time with the unit. Thanks for the link B|Java.

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User

Can you update the order in the first post when you get a chance so I'll know when to expect it?  I know I'm in the back 40 so it'll be a while at any event.

Here's the tentative list as I see it. Let me know if I need to make any changes. I'll update the first post also.

1. headchange4u
2. milowebailey
3. Tex (2 week stay)
4. JasonG
5. Ray T
6. yakster
7. BoldJava
8. Sherman

and then home to our winner ecc ...

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User