Author Topic: VST Double 58 mm Basket, Traveling Road Show  (Read 7595 times)

BoldJava

VST Double 58 mm Basket, Traveling Road Show
« on: April 29, 2011, 04:20:43 PM »
Jump in!  Lottery Opportunity for a newly designed 58mm basket.  VST is introducing a newly designed basket at the SCAA Expo this weekend. Join in and have the basket for a weeK. (Interesting read on the theory of basket redesign).  La Marzocco is impressed -- it will be shipping new machines with the baskets. 

I have pre-ordered a 58mm - tamper size, double basket, 17/18 grams.  $25.00 plus $8.82 shipping plus PayPal fees results in these costs, based on number of players.  Merely post your interest below.  Once we have 10 folks, I will send out reminders.  We will pass it around, each having it for a week. Winner will be selected via  and that winner will be repositioned to receive it last and keep it.  Ten reviews pending.

4   $9.10
5   $7.35
6   $6.15
7   $5.30
8   $4.70
9   $4.25
10   $3.85

"...And the shots? On the Extract Mojo I started noticing something: I could use the same amount of coffee, same grind, same dose, level and tamp. I'd vary how long I pulled the shots - sometimes pulling 28g brew volume (ristretto); sometimes pulling 35-38g volume (normale as Fedele calls that) and sometimes pulling up to 45g (a luongo). All these shots were still within good extraction ratios Brewing Control Chart! But more importantly, all the shots maintained a decent amount of sweetness in the taste, throughout the size differences. For me, the normales tasted the best, but the luongo was definitely drinkable, and the ristretto even more so....

Then, we pulled shots with the VST 17/18g basket, using the new dosing, leveling and tamping technique. Found that every single shot tasted better, but even more impressive, varying the shot output (going from 30 to 40g brewed) still resulted in shots that tasted better than our "best" Synesso basket shot.

This isn't me claiming these taste results. This is three seasoned local baristas and two consumers over three testing sessions. It was a lock for the VST / La Marzocco baskets and a serious eye-opener on how important the filter basket is to the brewing process."

(Note:  The basket itself is a 61-mm and fits Marzocco.  I stopped at Alterra's (3-group Zoccos) and asked what tamper size fits their baskets -- all were 58s).

Venturists

2.  TheJavaMan
3.  CFSheridan, the Commodore
4.   JSpain
5.  StevieBoy9

6.  ReddyK
---
7.  BoldJava
---
8.  Dante
« Last Edit: May 22, 2016, 10:52:19 PM by Joe »

Tex

Re: VST Double 58 mm Basket, Traveling Road Show
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011, 04:42:41 PM »
I wonder how much he was paid for that review?

thejavaman

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2011, 08:21:39 PM »
Count me in if for nothing else than sheer curiosity.  If "The Prince" says they're good, they must be really good then, right???   ::) :-X :P

P.S. - B|LovesToTryNewThingsAndPassThemAround, I'm going to be moving over the next week or two, so please shoot me an email or PM when you need my payment and/or to advise me on the process.  Thanks.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 08:24:57 PM by thejavaman »

BoldJava

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2011, 04:50:11 AM »
Count me in ...

Gotcha.  Send me your new address offline.  I need to update in USPS.com and FedEx.

B|Java

cfsheridan

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2011, 05:32:40 AM »
Count me in, Pops. <g>

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2011, 05:39:46 AM »
I wonder how much he was paid for that review?

I don't know.

Good article though ... thanks to B|NewGizmoFinder.

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

jspain

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2011, 06:31:20 AM »
Dave,

Count me in!  Jim

BoldJava

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2011, 06:40:36 AM »
Dave,

Count me in!  Jim

Silly me.  Should of had you down Jim.

B|Java

Stubbie

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2011, 07:05:24 AM »
Pretty sure I'll just be buying some of these since my luck at winning in the traveling lottery never seems to pan out. :D

Wish they were ridgeless though, makes for cleaner puck removal.

-Stubbie

BoldJava

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2011, 07:21:35 AM »
Pretty sure I'll just be buying some of these since my luck at winning in the traveling lottery never seems to pan out. :D

You don't really think I enter the Jayhawks numbers into http://random.org, do you <grins>?

Pls post your review to this thread, thx.

B|Java

BoldJava

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2011, 05:26:05 AM »
Bump.  Room for 6 more entrants.  Take a chance.  No ticket, no winner.  Step right up.  Pick a winner, sonny.

Offline stevieboy9

• Standard User
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2011, 06:24:05 AM »
I'll give it a try. Count me in, please.

Steve, in Ft. Worth.

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2011, 08:11:02 AM »
Can you start one of the merry-go-rounds w/ a 53mm, please?   ;D
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline ReddyK

• Standard User
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2011, 06:53:46 AM »
I'm in!
Thanks,
Steve
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
Thomas Jefferson

BoldJava

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2011, 05:19:49 AM »
Order

2.  TheJavaMan
3.  CFSheridan, the Commodore
4.   JSpain
5.  StevieBoy9
6.  ReddyK
----
1.  BoldJava

I am not up to testing this bad boy right about now.  I am going to get this off in the mail to Kevin (TheJavaMan) so that we can keep this evaluation on schedule.   With only 5 involved, the price seems high to me.  Just test it out and kindly post your evaluation.  If someone enjoys it, we can work out a purchase price.  If you feel a need to send money, send it to http://groundsforhealth.org.  Thanks.

Let the good 'presso roll.  On its way, Kevin.

B|Java
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 08:15:18 AM by BoldJava »