Author Topic: VST Double 58 mm Basket, Traveling Road Show  (Read 7590 times)

Offline ReddyK

• Standard User
Re: VST Double 58 mm Basket, Traveling Road Show
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2011, 07:32:36 AM »
Did you just miss me or was I too late to play?
Thanks,
Steve
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
Thomas Jefferson

BoldJava

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2011, 08:14:57 AM »
Did you just miss me or was I too late to play?
Thanks,
Steve

A-ooops!  I haven't been too shiny lately Steve.  You are in.

B|Java
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 08:16:50 AM by BoldJava »

thejavaman

« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2011, 08:35:39 AM »
...Let the good 'presso roll.  On its way, Kevin...

I'll keep an eye out for the mailman. Hopefully he can wade through my moving mess.  Looking forward to trying this sucker out.

thejavaman

« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2011, 03:49:39 PM »
Well, the VST basket showed up yesterday and I've been pulling several shots with it ever since.  It took me a little while to get my grind/tamp dialed in (I had to use a touch coarser grind & a touch harder tamp than I normally do), but about the fourth shot I pulled came out just about perfect.  I used ~17.5 grams of El Salvador "Molino de Santa Rita"[/url] roasted to Full City & rested ~5 days, which yielded a 2 oz. double shot in ~28 seconds.  Comparing my "regular" Gaggia filter basket to this VST basket, I can definitely tell the VST basket has a few more holes and they are more precisely placed (especially near the edges).  How did the shots taste?  Very, very good.  So far, after about a day and a half of testing, I'll be the first to admit that all things being equal and all other variables being strictly controlled, I'd be hard pressed to identify which shot was made using the VST basket versus a "regular" Gaggia filter basket in a blind taste test.  If anything, the shots pulled with the VST basket are a tad more "refined" and a tad "cleaner" due to a slight reduction in sediment (that could also be attributed to the "placebo effect" though too).  I'm going to continue using the VST basket through the remainder of the weekend and I'll report back if anything mind blowing happens, then it will be off to Chad early next week....
« Last Edit: May 22, 2016, 10:54:07 PM by Joe »

BoldJava

« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2011, 08:41:01 AM »
Dante has jumped in there and will be last on the last.  He bought the portafilter from me and he will be the poster child for the product in the Philippines.

2.  TheJavaMan
3.  CFSheridan, the Commodore
4.   JSpain
5.  StevieBoy9
6.  ReddyK
---
7.  BoldJava
---
8.  Dante

B|Java

Offline Dante

• Standard User
  • High on Caffeine
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2011, 09:03:05 AM »
Thanks Dave! This way is certainly cheaper than me flying to Wisconsin to try the basket in your house. And at Peter's!  ;D
No coffee, No workee!

BoldJava

« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2011, 09:16:52 AM »
Thanks Dave! This way is certainly cheaper than me flying to Wisconsin to try the basket in your house. And at Peter's!  ;D

At Peter's you get better coffee but ugly waiter.  Toss up.

B|Java

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2011, 12:06:02 PM »
Thanks Dave! This way is certainly cheaper than me flying to Wisconsin to try the basket in your house. And at Peter's!  ;D

B|Java

Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2011, 01:57:25 PM »

B|Java

:o :o :o
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

BoldJava

« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2011, 02:02:20 PM »
...and that is Peter on a good day.

B|Java

cfsheridan

« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2011, 05:09:38 AM »
It has arrived.  I'll start pulling shots in the next few days...may have to grab some CC Apollo Blend to pull through here along with the Ardi and other SOs

BoldJava

« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2011, 07:37:59 AM »
H-B reading - seems by general consensus that a finer grind works better in the VST.

thejavaman

« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2011, 08:48:36 AM »

H-B reading - seems by general consensus that a finer grind works better in the VST.

Maybe I didn't have the time to test it out as thoroughly as I could have, but I found that I had to grind just a touch coarser than I normally do, but I did have to tamp a little harder too.  I'm curious to see how Chad makes out with it with his supreme set up.

jspain

« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2011, 10:23:42 AM »
I believe I'm next on the list after the commador has completed his test drive. I'll try several grind options with the super jolly with several of my best origins and blends. I'm interested to see if I can tell a difference in the shot quality? Ms. Silvia is not the best machine, but she has done me well over these last couple years.

From rain soaked east central OHIO

BoldJava

« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2011, 09:26:42 AM »
Jim,

Chad indicates that this is headed your way.

B|Java