Author Topic: Hands On: Orphan Espresso Pharos Hand Grinder  (Read 38523 times)

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
  • Roaster: 4# RK Drum
Re: Hands On: Orphan Espresso Pharos Hand Grinder
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2011, 07:33:33 PM »
This one?

OE Pharos Hand Grinder Tech Bulletin

Offline hankua

• Standard User
  • Flame On!
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2011, 09:16:37 PM »

Here's a drive attachment kit:
 Parts List: 1/2" coupling nut, socket cap 1/2"-13x3/4", 1/2" flat washer, 3/8" hex bit socket. Parts available at HD or Lowes.
All stainless steel available at: http://www.stainlesstown.com/index.php

My 1/2 portable drill motor is crap, so the test was not very successful.  ::)

BoldJava

« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2011, 03:00:36 AM »
This one? ...

Classic Doug, but the stick-on OE sticker keeps getting hidden by the beard.

That plastic grounds funnel could get ugly once the furnace goes on and someone isn't running a humidifier in concert.

BJava
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 03:05:16 AM by BoldJava »

Tex

« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2011, 07:42:37 AM »
I wonder if a plastic grounds catcher, Baratza Maestro comes to mind, might work better?

JasonG

« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2011, 06:50:33 PM »
Yea, not sure why the link says invalid now? I previewed and it was OK.

Pretty nice to see the different considerations paid to this fine machine.

milowebailey

« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2011, 07:41:38 PM »
The Pharos arrived today.... my that's a big one.

Looks very industrial.  I'm looking forward to see how it grinds.

Tex

« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2011, 08:05:16 PM »

Great gag gift for the nudist colony residents! ;D

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2011, 05:54:01 AM »

Great gag gift for the nudist colony residents! ;D

I can just picture Larry showing up at one of those with the Pharos.

:o
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

milowebailey

« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2011, 09:49:47 AM »
I've been tinkering with the Pharos for the last two days.  Here is my 1st impression:

It has the cool factor, but has many short comings.  Hard to hold, hard to empty, hard to put the beans in, hard to adjust (I had to use the tools to tighten the handle because if I didn't it would tighten the grind when I started grinding)...  It should have marking on the top like a clock so you could have a gauge of how many degrees you've adjusted the grind.   It should come with a bag or wooden box to keep the tools and loose part.

As for the grind, it does a good job.  Very consistent size grind and not many turns to grind as compared to other hand grinders.  If you have $275 to blow, get one..... me nope thumbs down.  I have a few more days with it and will use it some more, but after using it I prefer all 3 of my other hand grinders to this one from a practical day to day grinder.  Note: I don't use any of my other hand grinders for espresso.... This can grind espresso well.

Pros.
1) Very good grind (Edit) can grind very fine for espresso.
2) Takes way fewer turns to grind the same amount of coffee.  Compared to the Hario, the grindripper and German wooden box grinders
3) Cool factor (in a Tim Allen way)l.  It's more like a tool than a grinder.
Edit 4) grind knob fits the hand nicely

Cons;

1) holds only ~20 grams of beans.  Not enough for a Chemex Kone pourover
2) Adjustment of the burrs is not precisely repeatable,  You can get close, but not exact
3) Adjustment requires a tool to free and tighten the handle.  PITA
4) I comes with a zip-lock bag of extra parts/tools.  It should have a storage box for the price (wooden box with storage.
5) Difficult to hold onto for espresso grinding.  There should be some sort of handle on the grinder
6) Difficult to empty, makes a mess every time.  And if emptying in a glass container you could easily break the glass with it due to it's size.
7) too expensive for what you get.  For $275 it should be better designed

Left to right

Hario, German Trosser, Grindripper, and Pharos
« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 10:50:19 AM by milowebailey »

BoldJava

« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2011, 10:25:11 AM »
Thanks for the review.  Helpful.  There is a gang of supporters at H-B.  No one has come in with many con's. 

B|Java

Tex

« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2011, 10:57:35 AM »
snipped
Edit 4) grind knob fits the hand nicely

When I saw the Pharos in a picture for the first time I thought it needed a better handle - something like the Hurst shifter T-handle.

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
  • Roaster: 4# RK Drum
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2011, 06:59:37 PM »
snip

Cons;

4) I comes with a zip-lock bag of extra parts/tools.  It should have a storage box for the price (wooden box with storage.

snip

I take full blame for the ziplock baggie. The tools came packed in corner of the box wrapped in tissue paper. I missed both of them when unpacking the grinder. Only after watching the video again did I realize that I didn't have all the parts present and accounted for, then went back to dig them out of the box. I figured I better bag up all the bits and bobs or they might get lost in the shuffle. Don't worry though; I cleaned most of the pot out of the baggie before using it for the Pharos stuff.

There is a gang of supporters at H-B.  No one has come in with many con's. 

B|Java

I was reading through the big Pharos thread on HB last night when I noticed the same thing. Hardly anything bad to say about the grinder. Not that it's a bad grinder by any stretch of the imagination, but after getting to know the grinder a bit i would have expected some mention of the unit's less user friendly aspects.

BTW, we have grinder #23

BoldJava

« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2011, 03:24:58 AM »
It's probably ...

Part of it, also, can be wanting to support a retailer who may deserve the business or the chance to launch a business.

+1.

B|Java

milowebailey

« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2011, 06:46:59 AM »
I don't know Orphan.. or the mad scientist in the video or even the photographer (probably his wife).  I'm all about supporting local, USA made things if they are worthy.  I was intrigued enough to jump in and try it.  This grinder, IMO, is not a ready for prime time gadget.  A prototype yes.

I was just reporting it as I experienced it.  For $275 I can get a great used espresso grinder that will perform better.... and granted I'll need electricity but I'd need a shirpa to haul the Pharos for me. ;D

and to Jason's comment about the extra parts packed in tissue paper.... the baggie was a better choice.. and I still think, for the price, that Orphan should have included a cloth bag, wooden box or something to keep those part in.

BoldJava

« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2011, 06:10:39 AM »
I try to avoid cross posting, so I won't.  But the discussion on H-B about motorizing the Pharos could be a great Saturday Night Live skit.  Let's see -- buy a hand grinder and motorize it!  How novel.  Guys are modding it with drills, mixers, belts, pulleys, you name it.  Heavens, I would just buy a Super Jolly and call it a day.

The nature of Geekdom...

B|Java
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 06:50:29 AM by BoldJava »