Author Topic: Hands On: Orphan Espresso Pharos Hand Grinder  (Read 38505 times)

EricBNC

Re: Hands On: Orphan Espresso Pharos Hand Grinder
« Reply #165 on: April 22, 2012, 08:41:40 AM »
Nice work - that looks very slick!

EricBNC

« Reply #166 on: May 23, 2012, 12:21:16 PM »
Thanks Jeremy - this roller bearing mod does help make grinding easier - especially when grinding lighter roast hard beans! :)

Offline hankua

• Standard User
  • Flame On!
« Reply #167 on: June 09, 2012, 10:07:43 AM »
Will's Ultra Modded Pharos

http://www.home-barista.com/grinders/pharos-removing-grounds-t20868-170.html

I'm testing one with all the mod's for a few days now.  My Pharos was version 1 and single dosed from the grinder to the portafilter so this was a big change. First night there were grounds all over the kitchen, next day had that issue under control. WAF is a factor in her kitchen with white tile on the floor.

Normally I don't check grounds retention, only weight the beans going in but...... THERE IS ZERO GROUNDS RETENTION !!!!!!!!!!  and it's really clean afterwards.

After grinding with Will's new mod, I tip the grinder over the stainless bowl and dust off the bracket and adjacent surfaces. There were a few stray grounds on the table, and hand swept them into the bowl. Then spoon in the ground coffee and tap in the remainder; clean stainless bowl afterwards. A secondary container after the stainless bowl is not necessary. The process took maybe a minute longer than before and a bit messy, no big deal. I've added two brushes, one small grinder brush and a 3" table brush.

The grinder slips on and off the bowl very easily, but the set-up seems more semi-permanent than the stock version which would be better for traveling. The bowl attached to the grinder with O-rings for a friction fit and for me that would be for transportation only. I'm not using the O-rings and the bowl is a loose fit inside the grinder.

With this mod a motor can be attached and that advancement will eventually be explored. It it's successful then there would be a "ghetto versalab". Kudos to Will for bringing out so many neat Pharos mods!
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 10:12:55 AM by hankua »

smico

« Reply #168 on: July 21, 2012, 06:01:16 PM »
Today Bendo came to pickup some coffee from my latest distribution, and brought his Pharos along...  What a revelation - I had the best espresso at my home.  Now I know what are you guys talking about.
I always thought that RO water was my problem, but now I see that my grinder is the problem.  Vario is not capable to deliver perfect espresso. 
Pharos would be a bit too much for daily use, especially for my wife.
Obviously I have to start saving for Compak K-10.

BoldJava

« Reply #169 on: October 11, 2013, 06:23:45 AM »
Pharos back in stock.  Doug had been awaiting an order of 100 burr sets.

http://www.orphanespresso.com/OE-PHAROS-Hand-Coffee-Grinder_p_3977.html

BoldJava

« Reply #170 on: February 28, 2014, 03:45:07 AM »
Doug makes the last Pharos, #1000.

Pharos 1000 x264

BoldJava

« Reply #171 on: February 28, 2014, 04:15:41 AM »
Epic!

Thanks for posting this...

If I were to travel to Idaho, I would buy a case of beer, get Doug and Barb in the backyard, and tease out his mechanical mind and let the discussion go wherever.

The kid's bandaid that Barb fished out of the cabinet for Doug is classic.

milowebailey

« Reply #172 on: February 28, 2014, 09:47:46 AM »
Doug makes the last Pharos, #1000.

What do you mean the last Pharos?  He still plans to make the doesn't he?

SJM

« Reply #173 on: February 28, 2014, 10:03:44 AM »
What do you mean the last Pharos?  He still plans to make the doesn't he?

It's not very clear. 
A month or so ago he announced on CoffeeGeek he was done after he did the 85 that he had parts for.
More recently at H-B he said he would build them on an "as time allows" basis.

Susan

Cammie

« Reply #174 on: February 28, 2014, 06:31:32 PM »
Well I snagged a new one from the OE website at 5:30 am this morning.  I do not typically use a hand grinder but I admire the ingenuity and design of the Pharos and feel it has earned a well deserved place in the history of espresso.  I also feel I am now adequately prepared for when the zombie apocalypse occurs and electrical power is no longer available.  :)

milowebailey

« Reply #175 on: February 28, 2014, 09:28:36 PM »
I was going to, but they are sold out.... :(

SJM

« Reply #176 on: March 01, 2014, 07:49:27 AM »
I was going to, but they are sold out.... :(

Apparently as each Pharos gets made, OE will put it up for sale, so "Sold Out" isn't permanent.  If you want a Pharos you have to stay tuned and hope to catch one as it is made available.  It would also make sense to monitor the H-B site, since that seems to be OE's preferred site for making announcements, etc.

On the other hand,
The Byrds - You Don't Miss Your Water (1968)

Cammie

« Reply #177 on: March 06, 2014, 07:07:00 PM »
Pharos #1003 is in the house!