Author Topic: Hands On: Orphan Espresso Pharos Hand Grinder  (Read 38982 times)

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
Re: Hands On: Orphan Espresso Pharos Hand Grinder
« Reply #90 on: September 02, 2011, 01:56:27 PM »
We have out-of-towners coming, just to gawk at it. 

Lake Cheddar has become a closet-haven for Illinoisey folk.

Sherman's lucky that he came highly recommended.  We let him pass through the Cheddar Curtain.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

BoldJava

« Reply #91 on: September 09, 2011, 08:33:00 PM »
Short, Reader's Digest version?

Once dialed in, I found the shot from the Compak 10 and the Pharos a dead-heat.  More details from me tomorrow.  Jeff has some good pics.  Sherman is a delight and it was nice to have him up in these parts.

Others can chime in. I have some pics as well.

B|Java
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 08:34:57 PM by BoldJava »

BoldJava

« Reply #92 on: September 09, 2011, 09:08:23 PM »

I guess what I'm asking is whether I should recommend the Pharos as an adequate grinder for the noobs? ...

No.

Offline hankua

• Standard User
  • Flame On!
« Reply #93 on: September 09, 2011, 10:02:03 PM »
There are some new parts available from OE that might make adjusting the Pharos a bit easier.
http://www.orphanespresso.com/Pharos-Top-Adjustment-Upgrade-Kit_p_4245.html

BoldJava

« Reply #94 on: September 10, 2011, 06:08:47 AM »
There are some new parts available from OE that might make adjusting the Pharos a bit easier.
http://www.orphanespresso.com/Pharos-Top-Adjustment-Upgrade-Kit_p_4245.html

Yakster contributed a couple of lock nuts to the cause.  I will put picks up tomorrow night.

BoldJava

« Reply #95 on: September 10, 2011, 06:27:05 AM »
Peter and Sherman were the hands-on boys on the Pharos.  They were less intimidated by the hardware stacked on top of the grinder than I was. We spent a good 3 hours with it, the Compak 10, the Spaz, and the Cremina.  For what it is worth, here are some initial impressions.  They mirror what has already been reported in the thread.  (Note:  Jeff's pics to follow this weekend).

Very impressive out of the box.  I love the hands-on appeal to it.  That fleeting feeling soon ebbed for me as I watched Peter attempt to dial it in (the Compak 10 admittedly was waiting in the wings for some serious competition).  Back (too large) and forth (too small), back and forth.  I got impatient and I wasn't even driving.

Con:
^  No immediate points of reference; no markings for adjustment.  Best you can do is mentally imagine a clocks' hands and use the handle as a reference point.
^  The back and forth of "too fine, too large" seems to rule this out as anything more than a "set it and forget it" espresso grinder.  (Maybe I don't understand the lock nut arrangement.  Long thread on HB.  I will see if there are less futzy ways of arranging them.)
^  At the espresso level, getting the grounds out of the grounds reservoir is an effort in endurance.  A full 60-second of whacking on it with a hammer is needed.  Would drive me crazy.
^  Just too high of a putz factor. 
^  Difficult to load the beans.  There is no pouring into it. You have to schumtz the beans into the openings. (Peter remembered at the last minute that an Aeropress part fills the bill, or in this case, the grinder).
^  Small capacity.  25 grams <?> on a good day.
^  Difficult to keep stable as the beans are being ground.  Needs some work.

Pro:
^  The grind size begins to become consistent at pourover grind and points finer.
^  Great Turkish grind in it.

Conclusion?
^ Once dialed in, we concluded that the grind was indiscernible in the shot from the Compak 10.  I wonder if the conical burrs aren't Compaks?
^ I am looking forward to playing with it this next week but the high putz factor isn't my way of grinding.  Pass.  If I win it, look for it to come back onto the board re-sale.  At that point, I will attempt to convince you what a great grinder it is with a couple of home-grown mods that you can certainly do <grins>.

Fun evening with Peter, Jeff, and Sherman.  Ended with a Lake Cheddar fish fry.  Great coffee, friends, and food. Life is awfully good.

B|Java, looking forward to Jeff's pics
« Last Edit: September 10, 2011, 07:59:53 AM by BoldJava »

Jeffo

« Reply #96 on: September 10, 2011, 10:34:15 AM »
I've never seen my name written so many times in one post. Kind of creepy. I got these done a lot sooner than I thought. I will post them here, but post them later on Picasa where all pictures of all events from the last year and a half are.

Sherman talks about our perception of tastes and how we relate this to each other.
Peter chimes in.
Dave (Bold|Java) listens intently.

Jeffo

« Reply #97 on: September 10, 2011, 10:36:36 AM »
Sherman is extremely enthusiastic and knowledgeable.
Peter gets working on the grinding.
Dave takes a picture with his great new Canon PowerShot. Expect better latte pour pictures.

Jeffo

« Reply #98 on: September 10, 2011, 10:39:38 AM »
Adjusting, beans flying, close up of top.

Jeffo

« Reply #99 on: September 10, 2011, 10:48:20 AM »
Pharos, then Compak FWIW. 1:1 macro cropped a little. This may be worthless because there's no way to know if the grind is the same level on each grinder.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2011, 11:05:15 AM by Jeffo »

Jeffo

« Reply #100 on: September 10, 2011, 10:52:11 AM »
LaSpaziale (sp?) pour as it comes together. (This may have been from two pours. I can't remember.)

Jeffo

« Reply #101 on: September 10, 2011, 10:53:57 AM »
The Lever with beans in the background and in action.

Jeffo

« Reply #102 on: September 10, 2011, 10:57:17 AM »
Adjusting that thing drove Peter nuts.
Talking after making 4-6 comparative shots.

That's all. If this is too much for the server, I can just put them on Picasa after a few days and leave a link here.

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #103 on: September 10, 2011, 12:00:57 PM »
Funny how your lens only makes me and B| look pudgy and not Sherman.

Other than that, those are some mighty fine photos Jeff.  My favorite is the Cremina pull looking down into the cup and the reflection of the drip tray on the the cup (I'll do you a favor and not call it a demitasse).
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

BoldJava

« Reply #104 on: September 10, 2011, 12:12:27 PM »
Funny how your lens only makes me and B| look pudgy and not Sherman...

Speak for yourself.

B|Slim