Author Topic: Full House: RSVP Collapsible Pourover, No More Talent Needed  (Read 13364 times)

BoldJava

Re: Full House: RSVP Collapsible Pourover, No More Talent Needed
« Reply #45 on: August 11, 2011, 03:35:22 AM »

Good review, Dave.  Those that are new to pourovers, make sure you are rinsing the paper filter with boiling water before adding the coffee to the RSVP.  (Repeating myself, I know).

BJava

blzrfn

« Reply #46 on: August 14, 2011, 02:50:28 PM »
Well I am done playing with this toy.  I did a side-by-side-by-side experiment with my CCD and Aeropress and for taste results it landed in the middle.  The Aeropress won with the cup coming through very clean and bright, the RSVP cup was well balanced but lacked the acidity (could be my technique as I don't have a fancy kettle) and the CCD came up right behind the RSVP with a lighter cup which could probably be fixed with a longer steep or finer grind.  As for ease of use the RSVP comes in last of the three, requiring the most attention and being the most finicky about grind and technique.  Overall I will stick with my rating of 4 out of 5 stars.

Pros-
* Versatile, can make from 1 - 10 cups of coffee maybe more (I didn't try)
* Small size, in a kitchen that is already cramped with other coffee toys it helps that this can be collapsed and stored in the back of any cupboard
* Made of silicone, hard to break and my family is good at breaking things

Cons-
* Requires a dedicated kettle, as does any pourover brewer, for proper technique
* Can't see what is going on in the cup
* Not going to win any beauty pageants

I will be sending this on to modelmaker as soon as I get his address and I look forward to seeing other reviews, especially those that have other pourovers to compare it to.  I won't be running to buy any pourovers in the near future as I am pretty satisfied with my Bunn NHBX which makes a similar cup with minimal effort.

Modelmaker

« Reply #47 on: August 14, 2011, 08:36:24 PM »
Send it onto the next one please, I'll be in San Francisco for week this week and I don't want it just sitting here
Thanks

blzrfn

« Reply #48 on: August 14, 2011, 09:35:25 PM »
Will do MM.

ReddyK PM sent

Modelmaker

« Reply #49 on: August 15, 2011, 06:59:08 AM »
I'll be pulling all nighter's out there at least tonight, I will have Tuesday during the day free and plan on going to Fisherman's wharf. Coffee will be played by ear though. According to this mornings schedule (which is now final thankfully) I'll be leaving Wed am now.
If I get a chance I'll try and contact you to hook up

BoldJava

« Reply #50 on: August 21, 2011, 08:10:41 AM »
Bump for report out and locale.  BJava

blzrfn

« Reply #51 on: August 21, 2011, 08:42:36 AM »
Label/Receipt Number: 9405 5036 9930 0190 5565 77
Expected Delivery Date: August 17, 2011
Class: Priority Mail®
Service(s): Delivery Confirmationâ„¢

Your item was delivered at 11:41 am on August 17, 2011 in HUNTLEY, IL 60142.

Track and Confirm    

Enter Label/Receipt Number.    

Detailed Results:

Bullet    Delivered, August 17, 2011, 11:41 am, HUNTLEY, IL 60142
Bullet    Out for Delivery, August 17, 2011, 9:10 am, HUNTLEY, IL 60142
Bullet    Sorting Complete, August 17, 2011, 9:00 am, HUNTLEY, IL 60142
Bullet    Arrival at Unit, August 17, 2011, 7:51 am, HUNTLEY, IL 60142
Bullet    Processed through Sort Facility, August 17, 2011, 1:08 am, ELK GROVE VILLAGE, IL 60007
Bullet    Processed through Sort Facility, August 15, 2011, 8:44 pm, PORTLAND, OR 97218
Bullet    Electronic Shipping Info Received, August 15, 2011
Bullet    Acceptance, August 15, 2011, 11:54 am, PORTLAND, OR 97202

:-\

BoldJava

« Reply #52 on: August 21, 2011, 08:51:36 AM »
Thx, we will sit tight for ReddyK's report on his stellar execution of the RSVP.  I grabbed one from Espresso Parts when I ordered a shot glass.

BJava

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #53 on: August 21, 2011, 10:57:12 AM »
Thx, we will sit tight for ReddyK's report on his stellar execution of the RSVP.  I grabbed one from Espresso Parts when I ordered a shot glass.

BJava

...B|EconomyStimulator...   doing his part...
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

BoldJava

« Reply #54 on: August 21, 2011, 05:53:30 PM »

Good article on class/economic stimulation in the recent _Atlantic_.  I would go into it but it would definitely be HT material <grins>.

Offline expy98

• Standard User
« Reply #55 on: August 22, 2011, 11:02:09 AM »
just returned from Montreal and could not, could not find a simple Melitta cone anywhere
all over the city until I found it at St Henry Cafe.  Every store/market stocks Melitta filters but
no cones.  So for 2 weeks, I was using a collapsible silicone funnel.

I will have to get an RSVP...

blzrfn

« Reply #56 on: September 02, 2011, 02:53:44 PM »
Any updates Steve?  I see you were on this morning at 3am.   ???

Offline ReddyK

• Standard User
« Reply #57 on: September 04, 2011, 02:50:34 PM »
The RSVP. I will be ordering one this weekend. I was surprised with the size of this pourover.  I guess I hadn't paid attention to the original description.   I travel ALOT and like the collapsibility but I have no need to make more than my travel mug at a time.  It looked like it would cut down easily so, I will be cutting mine down to fit a #4 filter.  I was impressed that there was no off taste from the rubber/silicone or release agents.  I felt it made a very clean cup.
Thanks,
Steve
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
Thomas Jefferson

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #58 on: September 20, 2011, 08:08:10 PM »
silicon sieve coffee dripper is in the house...  first run was a cup of coffee... had a nice time on the drip rate.. I suspect I may want a courser grind for a pot of coffee through a #6 filter.. traveling and large capacity brewing are what I am attracted to in this product.. if there was ever any taste from the silicon or any release agent.. its gone by now..  it was a good cup.. lighter and brighter than my usual Clever or Sowden  full immersion prep..   more details on the way

BoldJava

« Reply #59 on: September 21, 2011, 02:55:49 AM »
The RSVP. I will be ordering one this weekend. I was surprised with the size of this pourover.  I guess I hadn't paid attention to the original description.   I travel ALOT ...

I am traveling home next weekend.  My RSVP will go with me, as well as the Hario hand grinder.  Good coffee is king.