Author Topic: Perpetual Gillette TTO Super Speed, Straight Razor, & traveling shave den  (Read 50649 times)

Offline ScareYourPassenger

• Standard User
  • lever lover
Re: Perpetual Gilette Twist-To-Open Super Speed and traveling shave den
« Reply #105 on: July 09, 2012, 11:19:58 AM »
I change blades when they start to "pull" a little bit.

Have you spent much time figuring out the grain on your beard?  This is vital to success...

It might take a while too but it really starts to pay off when you get it right. The shaves will be closer and irritate less.

blzrfn

« Reply #106 on: July 09, 2012, 01:16:35 PM »
I change blades when they start to "pull" a little bit.

Have you spent much time figuring out the grain on your beard?  This is vital to success...

Yeah, its actually a bit frustrating as the outer/lower areas of my neck have a grain laying upwards and the middle/upper portion have the grain running down.  It isn't that big of a deal with the Fusion, but with the safety razor I find that shaving with the grain first, then against it worked best.  I am going to switch to a different blade for tomorrow and see if I can improve yet. 

Dave <- Possibly realizing that there is indeed a rabbit hole in the shaving world.

Offline MMW

• Standard User
« Reply #107 on: July 09, 2012, 01:28:22 PM »
My neck is the same way.  Just go with the grain, however that happens to be on your mug, for the first pass.  Once you get that figured out, your shaves will be quicker and more comfortable :)
"During the early 19th century, most Americans subsisted on a diet of pork, whiskey, and coffee.  ----- Where did we go wrong?

Offline grinderz

• Standard User
  • No unjacked threads!
« Reply #108 on: July 09, 2012, 04:13:34 PM »
What blades are left in the den? I liked the Perma-Sharp blades a lot, BTW. A lot of folks like the Astra's, though not everybody.
var elvisLives = Math.PI > 4 ? "Yep" : "Nope";

Offline rfeuker

• Standard User
  • Some problems only coffee can fix.
« Reply #109 on: July 10, 2012, 04:54:08 AM »
One question- how often do you recommend switching blades?  With my Fusion I just change when I start to feel a little skin irritation after the shave, I'm not sure I want to wait that long with a safety razor...  ???

That REALLY depends on who you ask.  MP claims to get upwards of 60 shaves from one blade.  For me 4 or 5 seems to be where the tugging starts.  At a cost of about $0.10 per blade I'm willing to change them at the first sign of pull.

As far as shave direction is concerned, the "experts" seem to agree on a "Four Pass" method.  One with the grain, two across the grain, then finish with the against the grain pass.  Idea is that gradual reduction of the beard is the goal.  A guy called Mantic59 has a series of videos on YouTube that many have found useful.  Here's the one that discusses four pass shaving
Introduction to Traditional Wetshaving, Part 3: Shaving
Bob Feuker

BoldJava

« Reply #110 on: July 10, 2012, 05:05:44 AM »
One question- how often do you recommend switching blades...

I get 4-5 shaves out of a Wilkinson, Astra, or BIC.  I bank it when a tug starts.

As far as shave direction is concerned, the "experts" seem to agree on a "Four Pass" method...

I am fine with two passes.  Three might be a slight improvement but there are diminishing returns.

blzrfn

« Reply #111 on: July 10, 2012, 08:21:49 AM »
I tried out the BIC blade this morning and have improved further.  I still get more irritation than the Fusion and have not got my skills set to get as good as a shave but am now convinced this is just due to technique.  Blade angle around the contours seems to be my biggest challenge as I am struggling to get the jawline shaved closely, but there is no visible stubble so I can afford to be patient. 

Now that I am starting to "get" the safety razor.  Lets talk brushes and shaving soap.  What, if any, difference am I going to notice between those and my can of Barbasol? 

milowebailey

« Reply #112 on: July 10, 2012, 09:57:24 AM »
I was looking at Whipped Dog yesterday and they have a decent price on brushes.  Looks like they are out of stock on the silver tips, but the combo kit might be a good starter brush

Offline rfeuker

• Standard User
  • Some problems only coffee can fix.
« Reply #113 on: July 10, 2012, 10:03:03 AM »

Now that I am starting to "get" the safety razor.  Lets talk brushes and shaving soap.  What, if any, difference am I going to notice between those and my can of Barbasol?

Someone over on Badger and Blade recently posted that Bath & Body Works is having their buy two get one free deal on C.O. Bigelow Shaving Cream.  You can get three small tubes for $10 (the large size would be $20 for three).  I would go with the smaller one in case you hate it.  This is a cream that I think is top notch for the price.  Particularly good for the summer since it has eucalyptyus and menthol in the formula.  It's the Italian cream Proraso relabeled for the American market.  BTW, if you buy it and hate it, I'l take it off your hands.

I have used one Geo. F. Trumper brush for about 20 years and have no idea what I paid for it.  I would agree that an inexpensive brush is the place to start.  You may want to read up on the differences between boar and badger.  I love my badger.  Never tried a boar.
Bob Feuker

Offline CincyDawg

• Standard User
« Reply #114 on: July 10, 2012, 10:50:36 AM »
I was looking at Whipped Dog yesterday and they have a decent price on brushes.  Looks like they are out of stock on the silver tips, but the combo kit might be a good starter brush

I got a 22 mm silver tip recently before they went out of stock. Had it drilled another 10mm since I wanted a brush with good backbone. Had a fair amout of badger funk but that quickly subsided. Nice brush and fast shipping. Overall, I am pleased. It's obviously not a high end brush, but it will have a place in my rotation. I'm actually thinking about getting another to give to my son when they're back in stock.
"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers it can bribe the public with the public's money" - Alexis de Tocqueville
"A Government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take away everything you have." -Thomas Jefferson

Offline expy98

• Standard User
« Reply #115 on: July 10, 2012, 11:21:39 AM »
so far I've tried 3 boars and 4 badgers of various grades and if I was to start all over again,
I'd be quite content with just 2 boar brushes.  They are substantially cheaper yet no matter the price,
the boar tips are never scritchy no matter how strong the backbone.  Unlike badgers,
scritchiness is inversely proportional to price. 

I have the Semogue 620 and 1460 and I'd recommend the 620 or its equivalent 1520 or 1438.
The 1460 (or 610) have slightly less backbone but still much more than say a pure badger. 

At $15 for the wood handle Semogue, I see why they are a favorite on B&B.  The Omega boars
are even cheaper but the handle is usually light hollow plastic. 

Here's a chart comparing the Semogue models:
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/292503-Semogue-brush-recommendations/page2

and currently, you can get free shipping on any order w/ a Semogue brush:
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/295181-Semogue-now-at-West-Coast-Shaving

BoldJava

« Reply #116 on: July 12, 2012, 07:15:45 AM »
I tried out the BIC blade this morning and have improved further.  I still get more irritation than the Fusion ... but there is no visible stubble so I can afford to be patient. 

I would encourage you to give the whole schtick about 90 days and then determine if the Froushin-Froushin gives you a better shave.

RE:  Soap and brushes vs Barbasol.  You may not get a better shave with soap and brush. Barbasol might work better for you.  I have had about 20 soaps and creams.  Soaps do not provide the abundant lather I am after.  I tried about 3 of them and moved on.  Creams are a totally different product.  More lather and less drying to the skin.

My go-to product for creams are Old Spice (Indian product) and Taylor of Old Bond Street.  They lather for me better than canned shaving cream.  Most importantly, they don't dry my face and leave my skin softer than does a canned cream.  I have had some creams disappoint me (Proraso for one) but the O/S and TOBS are tops.

BJava

Offline ScareYourPassenger

• Standard User
  • lever lover
« Reply #117 on: July 12, 2012, 07:49:12 AM »
You may have already been experimenting with this but if you have been paying attention to the grain then the other thing to focus on is the blade angle. Try going more perpendicular on the handle to avoid scraping the hair off your face. While this may make it so you can do less passes it irritates more.

Practice, practice, practice

I wanted to give up a month into it but then the routine and variables came together and I have had fewer issues than I had with any other shaving method.

blzrfn

« Reply #118 on: July 12, 2012, 09:16:05 AM »
I cheated today and just used the Fusion.  Back to the safety razor tomorrow and I may even try that tube of girly cream that was in the box.  Up until this point I have ignored anything in the box that couldn't potentially kill or cause great harm to myself.  So some rose shaving cream and hippie aka sandalwood aftershave may get a tryout over the weekend.

Offline expy98

• Standard User
« Reply #119 on: July 12, 2012, 10:55:44 AM »
when I first got the den, I tried the tube of cream and not having a brush, never got it to lather at all and
ended up looking like Edward Scissorhands afterward.  I'd stick w/ the Barbasol can until you get a brush.