Author Topic: Perpetual Gillette TTO Super Speed, Straight Razor, & traveling shave den  (Read 50743 times)

blzrfn

Re: Perpetual Gilette Twist-To-Open Super Speed and traveling shave den
« Reply #120 on: July 25, 2012, 08:12:27 AM »
Well I have been going back and forth between the safety razor and my Fusion depending on the amount of time I have to get ready in the mornings.  After this morning's shave with the Gilette I feel that I got the shave that would rival that of my Fusion.  So now that I feel I got a small grasp on the procedure I am going to do some blade testing and give small reports back here as time allows.  I think there are close to ten different blades in the kit and with a resupply shipment from the Yackmeister there is plenty here to continue forward.  If anybody else would like to try wet shaving I will gladly wrap up my trial and send it on, finding my own razor to do further testing with. 

Offline ScareYourPassenger

• Standard User
  • lever lover
« Reply #121 on: July 25, 2012, 03:49:44 PM »
Well I have been going back and forth between the safety razor and my Fusion depending on the amount of time I have to get ready in the mornings.  After this morning's shave with the Gilette I feel that I got the shave that would rival that of my Fusion.  So now that I feel I got a small grasp on the procedure I am going to do some blade testing and give small reports back here as time allows.  I think there are close to ten different blades in the kit and with a resupply shipment from the Yackmeister there is plenty here to continue forward.  If anybody else would like to try wet shaving I will gladly wrap up my trial and send it on, finding my own razor to do further testing with.

The den is just a peek into what it offers. Once you find a good blade/razor combo and a nice cream like Taylor of old bond street, you will never turn back.

blzrfn

« Reply #122 on: August 01, 2012, 02:54:06 PM »
I just bought a used Gillette Super Speed off Ebay for $11 delivered.  So if anybody would like to jump in I would be more than happy to pass this box along.

In the mean time I will start comparing the blades.  My last blade I tried was a Big Ben (blue packaging if that makes a difference).  Overall I give it a B-, on the fourth shave today it started tugging on my neck whiskers where I am the most sensitive to irritation.  It's highest rated shave was the second shave where it got a B+ only lacking in the closeness of the shave. 

I will randomly select another blade to start reviewing tomorrow and continue forth until somebody else steps up for this fun little experiment.

BoldJava

« Reply #123 on: August 01, 2012, 02:57:30 PM »
I just bought a used Gillette Super Speed off Ebay for $11 delivered. 

blzrfn

« Reply #124 on: August 02, 2012, 08:45:17 AM »
I just bought a used Gillette Super Speed off Ebay for $11 delivered. 

I have taken a peak in the hole and I just ordered a cheap badger brush to go with my new to me Super Speed.  I ordered the brush so that I could try the soap and cream in the box and order more if I like it.  That said, my Fusion still gives me a closer shave with less irritation than any of the shaves I have had with the Super Speed.  It is fun trying to nail down the technique though and if I get bored with it I can resell my razor for what I paid for it pretty quickly.

blzrfn

« Reply #125 on: August 08, 2012, 03:05:12 PM »
I got a brush today so hope to figure out how to use the soap and creme in the kit properly.  Off to badgerandblade to figure it out.

Offline simmich

• Standard User
« Reply #126 on: August 08, 2012, 04:07:37 PM »
Its not brain surgery Dave but there is a learning curve. When you work out all the kinks, you're looking at quick and easy world class shaves. You also need to find the stuff that works for you.

blzrfn

« Reply #127 on: August 13, 2012, 09:04:30 AM »
Its not brain surgery Dave but there is a learning curve. When you work out all the kinks, you're looking at quick and easy world class shaves. You also need to find the stuff that works for you.

Thanks for the vote of confidence Sensei!  I got my cheap-o Tweezerman badger brush and tried out the rose shaving creme and actually enjoyed this more than messing around with the safety razor.  I don't think I lathered it up enough as the creme that I applied to my face dissipated as I shaved, but it felt really good applying it with the brush.  Regardless of whether I decide to use a safety razor as part of my daily ritual I think I will be ditching the canned creme for good.   

blzrfn

« Reply #128 on: August 14, 2012, 06:50:24 PM »
Happy belated birthday Chris!

I tried out the soap this morning and I need to work on my technique a bit, but it did the job.  I am going to try and find some soap/creme samplers to try out with my new-to-me red tip Super Speed.  Although I was skeptical at first I am intrigued by wet shaving and will continue to hone my skills each morning.  The Fusion has been put away and awaits emergency or travel usage only.

As far as I am concerned this traveling shave setup is ready to move on if anybody else is man enough to give it a try.  I can't think of a better way (free) to dip your toe in the world of wet shaving.  Thanks gentlemen!

BoldJava

« Reply #129 on: August 23, 2012, 07:22:33 AM »
Mr Blazed-Man,

Pls send the shave den to me.  I would like to restock it.  Have some items that are falling to the bottom of my routine.  Also, will toss in a pack of BICs, Wilkinsons, and green Astras, my 3-go-to's.

Dave

blzrfn

« Reply #130 on: August 23, 2012, 08:07:54 AM »
Sounds good Dave, I just cleaned up the Super Speed and will pack it all up tonight.

BoldJava

« Reply #131 on: August 29, 2012, 04:10:17 PM »
The shaving den arrived in Lake Cheddar today.  It is time for us to make a re-stock on it.  Give me a week with it and I will add a few quality items.  Right now, it is long on blades that are good for taking paint off the window panes.  It also had some mystery coffee in it, which is timely -- I am finishing up nubs of COEs and Geshas.  Thanks, Blazermon.'

Offline ScareYourPassenger

• Standard User
  • lever lover
« Reply #132 on: August 29, 2012, 04:56:40 PM »
I am getting close to doing a den clean. It might be worth getting a boar brush for the den. I was very surprised how much the omega softened up in the past couple weeks.

blzrfn

« Reply #133 on: August 30, 2012, 08:30:38 AM »
I think a cheap brush would be a great idea and I was going to include my Tweezerman until the knot fell out of the handle and I was forced to return for refund.  I included a tube of Bigelow cream because I found it very easy to lather and very cooling on the skin.  Although the rabbit hole has definitely swallowed me, I have found that this hobby is very easy on the wallet (comparatively) if you want it to be. 

Total damage:

3 vintage gilletes - $19 (SS red tip off ebay $12, SS black handle and Tech found at thrift store $7)
Semogue SOC Boar Brush - $30
Various creams and soaps - $30

For under $100 I now have transformed my mourning routine from chore to something I actually look forward to.  I highly recommend anybody that is using an electric razor (former Norelco man myself in a previous life) or cartridge (my Gillette Fusion retains residency) give this a shot.  Its virtually free to try out and can be quite rewarding.

Thanks guys for including me.

BoldJava

« Reply #134 on: September 08, 2012, 09:37:00 AM »
The shaving den arrived in Lake Cheddar today.  It is time for us to make a re-stock on it...

Updated and available for next novice pecking at the pond of superb shaves.

Added:
Tube of Bigelow cream - excellent product but I am not a fan of menthol.
Tube of Derby Lemon - very good product but I am just too deep into creams
Tube of Fresh - very good Indian product "
5 pack of BICS, Wilksinsons, Astras. My three personal favorite blades.  Take a blade, leave a blade.

Who is next? Still have some fall cleaning to do and will add some more.  PM address for the den.