Author Topic: Perpetual Gillette TTO Super Speed, Straight Razor, & traveling shave den  (Read 50002 times)

Offline expy98

• Standard User
Re: Perpetual Gilette Twist-To-Open Super Speed and traveling shave den
« Reply #75 on: May 01, 2012, 03:35:33 PM »
bump for May :-)

Offline expy98

• Standard User
« Reply #76 on: May 01, 2012, 04:03:36 PM »
I'm not good enuf to use the SS again since the first week, I've since been using a Long Handle
Super Adjustable, then a Slim and now a Fat Boy.  The SA handle is too long for me, but it's a toss
up between the Slim and FB. 

Offline rfeuker

• Standard User
  • Some problems only coffee can fix.
« Reply #77 on: May 02, 2012, 04:30:24 AM »
I'm not good enuf to use the SS again since the first week, I've since been using a Long Handle
Super Adjustable, then a Slim and now a Fat Boy.  The SA handle is too long for me, but it's a toss
up between the Slim and FB.

Long handle didn't suit my hands either.  I tend to "choke up" on the handles anyway - sold my SA.  I know that Fat Boy gets all the hype but I'm leaning toward Slim as my go to razor.  I like the lighter feel a bit more.  Have used Slim with an Astra SP and Musgo Real Cream for my last 5 shaves.  So far each shave has been close to outstanding.  When this blade dulls, I will do the same test with Fat Boy to settle this once and for all - Hah!
Bob Feuker

Offline MMW

• Standard User
Perpetual Gilette Twist-To-Open Super Speed and traveling shave den
« Reply #78 on: May 02, 2012, 04:48:44 AM »
My SA was stolen by Mrs MMW nearly as soon as I bought it...just as well, everything else would get dusty now that I have a slant ;D
"During the early 19th century, most Americans subsisted on a diet of pork, whiskey, and coffee.  ----- Where did we go wrong?

Offline ScareYourPassenger

• Standard User
  • lever lover
« Reply #79 on: May 02, 2012, 04:59:18 AM »
I think I finally settled on using the featheras-d1 but I don't think I would give up my fat boy. Out of the Gillettes I have tried it seems the most balanced.
The slant I try to love but the blade alignment is a pain and I find that it shaves so close I have to worry about ingrowns :(

Offline expy98

• Standard User
« Reply #80 on: May 02, 2012, 11:57:03 AM »
Calling Sweet William!!!  No better time to daydream about that Speedster/Mirage than while
shaving, the occasional nick will bring you back to reality...

blzrfn

« Reply #81 on: June 20, 2012, 11:22:23 AM »
Alright, I am going to dip my toe in the pool.  I need to order some replacement cartridges for my Gilette Fusion or make the switch soon.  Send it up to me Chris and I will re-read this novel of a thread and see what the bfd is.

Offline expy98

• Standard User
« Reply #82 on: June 20, 2012, 11:44:38 AM »
Dave,

I'm the current holder of the den.  Pls pm me your address and I'll be sure to include
some soap with it...  The deal is you'll lose your toe and more no doubt...

blzrfn

« Reply #83 on: June 20, 2012, 12:52:49 PM »
PM SENT

Read through about 1/4 of the thread so far and haven't run across any instructions yet.  I better call my insurance agent and make sure the life insurance is up to date.

Offline expy98

• Standard User
« Reply #84 on: June 25, 2012, 04:26:34 PM »
razor sanitized (soaked in hot soapy water for a few hours) and lubed (extra virgin olive oil) and den on its way to a happy home...

blzrfn

« Reply #85 on: June 27, 2012, 12:38:44 PM »
The death box has arrived.  I won't be messing with any of it until the weekend. 

Offline expy98

• Standard User
« Reply #86 on: June 27, 2012, 04:28:29 PM »
precisely why funerals are always during the weekends...

Offline grinderz

• Standard User
  • No unjacked threads!
« Reply #87 on: June 27, 2012, 04:48:40 PM »
The death box has arrived.  I won't be messing with any of it until the weekend.
Just keep repeating this to yourself and all will be fine. "No pressure. No pressure." Use a light hand and let the weight of the razor do the work. Try starting out with a couple of with the grain passes (reapplying the lather between the passes) until you're feeling more confident.
var elvisLives = Math.PI > 4 ? "Yep" : "Nope";

blzrfn

« Reply #88 on: July 02, 2012, 11:13:25 AM »
I tried the razor on Saturday and went over the face twice, re-applying my shaving cream in-between.  The shave did not come out nearly as good as with my Fusion, but I will try again.  I used the Treet (I think that was the name) blade and managed to not cause any damage to my complexion.  After only one shave I don't really see what the hype is all about, but I am not giving up yet.

Offline ScareYourPassenger

• Standard User
  • lever lover
« Reply #89 on: July 02, 2012, 01:22:33 PM »
I tried the razor on Saturday and went over the face twice, re-applying my shaving cream in-between.  The shave did not come out nearly as good as with my Fusion, but I will try again.  I used the Treet (I think that was the name) blade and managed to not cause any damage to my complexion.  After only one shave I don't really see what the hype is all about, but I am not giving up yet.

Technique makes all the difference. Blade angle, direction to grain and razor to blade selections can make large differences.