Author Topic: Perpetual Gillette TTO Super Speed, Straight Razor, & traveling shave den  (Read 49997 times)

BoldJava

Re: Perpetual Gilette Twist-To-Open Super Speed and traveling shave den
« Reply #90 on: July 02, 2012, 03:16:24 PM »
...I tried the Treet...

Blow through the Treets.  They are anything but.

blzrfn

« Reply #91 on: July 02, 2012, 04:06:50 PM »
...I tried the Treet...

Blow through the Treets.  They are anything but.

Which blade in here do you think would make me "get it"?

BoldJava

« Reply #92 on: July 02, 2012, 04:23:10 PM »
anything other than a Treet or Shark.

What is in there?  Yakster filled it up.

blzrfn

« Reply #93 on: July 02, 2012, 04:33:10 PM »
anything other than a Treet or Shark.

What is in there?  Yakster filled it up.

Off the top of my head, there are some Big Bens, Gillete's, some sword company, BIC, and some unidentified blades in a blade bank (see I did do a little bit of research).

BoldJava

« Reply #94 on: July 02, 2012, 04:36:25 PM »
Wilkinson
BIC

milowebailey

« Reply #95 on: July 02, 2012, 05:45:02 PM »
I could send you some BIC and Wilkinson if you like.

blzrfn

« Reply #96 on: July 05, 2012, 08:19:40 AM »
The Wilkinson tore up my neck.  Nothing too bad but definitely not good.   Its probably my technique, but I still didn't get as good a shave as I am used to.  I guess I am having trouble understanding the whole attraction to safety/straight razors.  Is this like an old man's extreme sport where one wrong move and you get hurt?  I'm not giving up on it, but I'm glad my Fusion is still locked and loaded so I can actually get a smooth result.

BoldJava

« Reply #97 on: July 05, 2012, 10:38:00 AM »

Maybe you should take a page from John F and start watching shaving videos...   this might help.

No, that was Pyment and no, I am not watching some guy shave.  {hoot}

Offline rfeuker

• Standard User
  • Some problems only coffee can fix.
« Reply #98 on: July 05, 2012, 10:54:45 AM »
The Wilkinson tore up my neck.  Nothing too bad but definitely not good.   Its probably my technique, but I still didn't get as good a shave as I am used to.  I guess I am having trouble understanding the whole attraction to safety/straight razors.  Is this like an old man's extreme sport where one wrong move and you get hurt?  I'm not giving up on it, but I'm glad my Fusion is still locked and loaded so I can actually get a smooth result.

Could be that DE shaving is just not for you - like Aeropress is not for me for example.  I feel like with my DE razors et al I get closer shaves without any irritation.  I must confess I also like the idea of the prep with pre-shave oil, the lathering, the repeating.  I actually find it relaxing. I am captured by the idea of reducing the beard a little with each pass rather than trying to scrape it all off in one swoop.   I don't know about "old man" sport, but a slip with a very sharp instrument near your face/neck could be a problem regardless of your age.

If you got better or even as good shaves with your Fusion and this ain't fun then heck keep on with your Fusion.

Bob Feuker

BoldJava

« Reply #99 on: July 05, 2012, 11:08:24 AM »

If you got better or even as good shaves with your Fusion and this ain't fun then heck keep on with your Fusion.

Anyone living in the PNW needs to pick up their green game if they are shaving with throw-away razors <Wink>

B|Java

blzrfn

« Reply #100 on: July 05, 2012, 01:09:45 PM »
I think it is a wash Dave, I get about 6 weeks off a single cartridge on my Fusion and I'm guessing those safety blades don't last long, or at least you don't want to find out the hard way it is time to replace.

Chris, it is indeed banned unless you are incapable of growing a manly grizzly beard like me.  I could pull off a 'stache and soul patch, but that went out with the 90s.   ;D

BoldJava

« Reply #101 on: July 05, 2012, 01:57:02 PM »
I think it is a wash Dave, I get about 6 weeks off a single cartridge on my Fusion and I'm guessing those safety blades don't last long, or at least you don't want to find out the hard way it is time to replace.

My blades go into a bank - - gets recycled.
An old metal coffee can from a roaster in Viroqua -- small roaster of the year a couple of years ago.

blzrfn

« Reply #102 on: July 05, 2012, 02:07:51 PM »
Chris, it is indeed banned unless you are incapable of growing a manly grizzly beard like me.  I could pull off a 'stache and soul patch, but that went out with the 90s.   ;D

Doh, you cut me to the core with that one, Dave.  I guess it's time to update my look.

Nothing but love for my soul patch wearin', lever pullin, pie chartin' coffee brother to the south.  Just pokin the bear a bit. 

blzrfn

« Reply #103 on: July 09, 2012, 10:22:51 AM »
Third shave this morning with the safety, second shave on the Wilkenson blade - best result so far with the double edge.  I lightened up the pressure and used shorter strokes.  It left my face nice and smooth with two passes but my neck still is a bit rough.  I probably didn't have the blade angle set correctly.  I am still not completely sold on the setup, but I'm no longer completely opposed either. 

One question- how often do you recommend switching blades?  With my Fusion I just change when I start to feel a little skin irritation after the shave, I'm not sure I want to wait that long with a safety razor...  ???

Offline MMW

• Standard User
« Reply #104 on: July 09, 2012, 10:46:00 AM »
I change blades when they start to "pull" a little bit.

Have you spent much time figuring out the grain on your beard?  This is vital to success...
"During the early 19th century, most Americans subsisted on a diet of pork, whiskey, and coffee.  ----- Where did we go wrong?