Author Topic: Closed: 4 Cup Pourover, Ceramic Traveling Road Show: Turtle Theme  (Read 3528 times)

BoldJava

Closed: 4 Cup Pourover, Ceramic Traveling Road Show: Turtle Theme
« on: September 29, 2011, 06:49:14 AM »

Here we go.  Georgetown Pottery, 22-30 ounce, 3-hole (company verified) ceramic pourover cone only (no cup or pitcher).  5.75" wide, 4" high. Takes Melitta cone filters, #4 or #6. Note:  I ordered the turtle theme (Island Home), not the lighthouse:  http://www.georgetownpottery.com/store/graphics/00000001/pattern-turtle.jpg

Need players with aesthetic eye (sorry, Peter) and good palate to test and review .  Entry fee is listed below, dependent upon number of players. 

Keep it for a week and mail it on.  Once we have sufficient players (4 and above), I will have Mz James Spain pick us a winning ticket and that entrant will go to last for delivery.  Hurry up.  Get in line.  No money now.

Fee includes the cost of the cone, shipping to me, and PayPal.

Players/Entry Fee

4/$8.94
 5/$7.21
 6/$6.06
 7/$5.25
 8/$4.62
 9/$4.14
10/$3.76

Entrants
B|Java
« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 04:12:26 AM by BoldJava »

BoldJava

Closed: 4 Cup Pourover, Ceramic Traveling Road Show
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2011, 04:10:33 AM »
...Here we go.  Georgetown Pottery, 22-30 ounce, 3-hole (company verified) ceramic pourover cone only (no cup or pitcher). . .

Closed.

Traveling road shows seem to have lost their allure.  I am going to keep the designed turtle themed pourover in the arsenal, use it this week, and provide a review.

BJava
« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 04:12:54 AM by BoldJava »

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
Re: Closed: 4 Cup Pourover, Ceramic Traveling Road Show: Turtle Theme
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2011, 04:55:39 AM »
They have certainly had a good run thanks primarily to your efforts.

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

BoldJava

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2011, 04:56:56 AM »
Evaluation:  Fail

Pro:
  • Attractive
  • Obviously hand made
  • Domestic, made in Maine
Con:
  • Top is out of round
  • Slick sides.  Nothing to keep the filter from adhering to cone.
  • Pour time - 9 minutes for a liter of coffee into a thermos.  Drown the beans
This will find its way north to my daughter's home in the Twin Cities.  She does a cup and runs -- a bean drowner. She will think it is quaint and is just a tad less critical on these coffee issues than I am.

Miserable failure from two fronts.  Drainage is horrible, despite 3 holes.  The design has a recessed base that creates a gap which adds to the drainage issue.  I really think the biggest problem lies in the paper adhering to the side of the cone -- very evident when I rinsed the filter with boiling water.  Rasqual has harped on design issues of pourovers.  He is correct.  The issues presented when they are not addressed are evident in this well-intentioned domestic ceramic effort.

The slow drainage issue shows up in the cup.  I am drinking the Injerto.  Very soft cocoas, all week.  Today's cup with this set-up is muddled.  Good coffee but lost the subtleties.  I will pull out the KONEs and see if they improve the drainage and the resulting cup.

Now, if you are interested in a shaving scuttle...(but that is another post).

BJava
« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 05:14:48 AM by BoldJava »

Offline mp

• Standard User
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2011, 04:59:57 AM »
Pro: A great run of traveling road shows.  You've even inspired Robert to consider a modded Tex Gaggia road show.

;)
lp, 7-Ski

BoldJava

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2011, 05:13:26 AM »
Pro: A great run of traveling road shows.  You've even inspired Robert to consider a modded Tex Gaggia road show.

;)

There is a time and season for everything.  Interests wax and wane.  We'll see what is next on the horizon.

Offline mp

• Standard User
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2011, 05:20:07 AM »

;)

There is a time and season for everything.  Interests wax and wane.  We'll see what is next on the horizon.

Whatever it pans out to be I'm sure it will be B|Interesting.

;D
lp, 7-Ski

EricBNC

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2011, 05:53:19 AM »
I don't think the concept has lost interest.  I was in the market even when this item came up.  For me, the thought of packing and shipping something that looks fragile based on the image was the reason I gave pause.  The RSVP pour over seemed very popular by comparison.

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2011, 06:55:11 AM »
Evaluation:  Fail

• Top is out of round
  • Slick sides.  Nothing to keep the filter from adhering to cone.
  • Pour time - 9 minutes for a liter of coffee into a thermos.  Drown the beans

Miserable failure from two fronts. 

B|Tester takes one on the chin for the Club.  Great sacrifice to keep the rest of us from wasting time and money. 
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

BoldJava

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2011, 07:07:59 AM »
B|Tester takes one on the chin for the Club.  Great sacrifice to keep the rest of us from wasting time and money. 

Thanks, you make a toy-gathering fool sound so virtuous <grins>.

B|Java

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2011, 09:58:11 PM »

Thanks, you make a toy-gathering fool sound so virtuous <grins>.

B|Java

Just giving you one more line to use w/ the Czarina when Brown drops off more boxes.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline grinderz

• Standard User
  • No unjacked threads!
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2011, 01:22:24 AM »
B|ShippingAndRecieving  ;D
var elvisLives = Math.PI > 4 ? "Yep" : "Nope";

BoldJava

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2011, 04:25:48 AM »
I provided my feedback to the owner of Georgetown Pottery.  He welcomed it and is extending full refund.  He is an espresso gent and wanted to know more about pourover extraction.  I explained where the unit was failing and suggested design changes.

Cone going back to Maine this weekend.

B|Java

BoldJava

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2011, 06:14:27 AM »
I have spent some time with Georgetown via emails on the inadequacies of the pourover, as designed.  I returned it for a refund.

The gent with whom I am working at Georgetown is a 'presso head and wants to improve the cone (he claims no expertise on pourovers).  I get to be Beta-tester for any new design based on the input I have shared.  (Shhh---no one tell Tex.  Thx.  <grins>)

B|Java
« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 06:18:20 AM by BoldJava »