Author Topic: Bonavita Electric Pourover Kettle: Traveling Road Show and Tell  (Read 27651 times)

BoldJava

Re: All Slots Taken: Electric Pourover Kettle, Traveling Road Show
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2011, 06:09:20 PM »
I held back on the road show because I was told one of these would be heading my way shortly and this came to pass.  I will hold off on comments till the group gets rolling with it unless someone has a specific question - I am only 2 cups in so far so I am not an expert by any means.

Speak up.  The thread is for the board, not just those holding the tickets to the kettle.  Thanks, B|Java

BoldJava

« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2011, 02:51:07 AM »
The kettle hit the porch last night.  I will put it through its paces and present a '1st look,' and get it headed out west to Yakster.

B|Java

BoldJava

« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2011, 08:41:46 AM »
Bonavita Electric 1L Kettle: 1st look

Manufacturer:  Bonavita
Cost:  Electric, $49.99; Stovetop model, $29.99 - shipping $13.62
Model Reviewed:  Electric
Purchased at:  www.buzzkillerespresso.com, Chicago
Similar items owned:  Hario Buono V60, Paico Stovetop
Quality:  8
Usability:  7 (handle)
Cost vs value:  10
Aesthetics:  9
Overall:  10 (Cost vs value trumps all with this unit, particularly in comparison to Hario)

Pro:
1.  Heats 1 liter to boil in 6:05 minutes
2.  Superb pouring spout. 
3.  Attractive
4.  Cost
5.  Swivels nicely on the base, 360*
6.  Light in the hand - easy to control
7.  Heating element is recessed, below the metal base
8.  No plastic in contact with water - 100% SS

Con
1.  Handle is awkward
2.  Interior spout design - leaves water behind
3.  Max water level hidden inside
4.  Electrical base feels cheap

Observations:
  • The kettle arrived on the porch, right on schedule.  The "drop shipper" needs to move to a larger box.  One side really crinkled.  I have repacked it in a larger box.  No interior damage.
  • Brushed stainless steel appliance makes it very easy to control with 2.2 lbs of water in it.  Looks sharp on the counter.
  • Tip is unsurpassed.  You can literally pour 'drop by drop,' better than Hario's and comparable to Paico
  • Capacity is 1-liter but you are hard pressed to find that level.  The only marking is inside the kettle, obscured.  The next revision would benefit from an exterior raised line to indicate 1-liter level.
  • The kettle will hold 40 oz but boils out the port holes.  Stick to 34 oz as clearly stated on instructions.  (I think 40 oz with stovetop would be fine, staying on top of kettle at boil point).
  • Handle is poorly designed.  Granted, my hands are large but even my wife took exception to the ergonomics of the finger notch in the kettle's handle.  I resorted to using 3 fingers, omitting the notch at the top.
  • Spout protrudes into the kettle's reservoir leaving about 1/4 of an ounce (Paico's is flush - no residual water).  Getting picky now.
Buying Experience:  BuzzKillerEspresso was responsive, shipped right when they said it would.  I love that their cart has a "shipping estimate" BEFORE you fill out 20 tons of personal information.  Good experience - will visit their shop when we visit Chicago for Christmas shopping.

Final summary: Buy it. 

• Hario vs Bonavita - Bonavita in a cake-walk.  Better pouring control/tip at same cost with an electric kettle.  With a stovetop, Bonavita surpasses the Hario in pouring at 60% of the cost.
  • Bonavita vs Paico - Equal tips but Bonavita is better built

Despite the slight design issues, this kettle is a value.  For the same prices as a Hario V60 stovetop kettle, you can purchase the Bonavita electric kettle.  Its pouring tip is superior to the Hario.  For myself, when I want a liter of water, I use a stovetop (Bonavita's is $30; Hario's is $47-$55 and dropping).  Either electric or stovetop, this is a "thumbs up."  If you have a pourover set-up but need a kettle, this is the one you want.

Kettle will be off to Yakster in the morning.

B|Java
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 10:40:42 AM by BoldJava »

BoldJava

« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2011, 08:44:25 AM »
Out of the box (WildBill's 11-oz cup for proportionality)

BoldJava

« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2011, 08:44:47 AM »
Sharp on the shelf

BoldJava

« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2011, 08:46:18 AM »
<Musical interlude>

The three kings of kettles are:
Paico, Bonavita, and Hario

</musical interlude>
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 09:13:56 AM by BoldJava »

BoldJava

« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2011, 08:51:12 AM »
Pouring tips compared:

Bonavita, Hario and Paico (midnite, 1:30, and 3:00)

BoldJava

« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2011, 08:52:57 AM »
Where is the water level?

BoldJava

« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2011, 09:00:17 AM »
Unusual handle design that didn't work for me.

BoldJava

« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2011, 09:46:47 AM »
Bold| Java, no need to rush it off to me, feel free to try it over several days if you like.

Done, nothing else to learn.  Czarina gave me one of those looks when it hit the porch.  Need to get the wrinkle out of the brow.

EricBNC

Re: Bonavita Electric Pourover Kettle: Traveling Road Show and Tell
« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2011, 01:53:43 PM »
Good review Dave - I get a little faster boiling time though with mine - I timed 1 liter (up to mark in kettle) 72 degree F water from start to finish when the light cuts out - it took five minutes and forty seconds for me.

BoldJava

« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2011, 01:55:18 PM »
Good review Dave - I get a little faster boiling time though with mine - I timed 1 liter (up to mark in kettle) 72 degree F water from start to finish when the light cuts out - it took five minutes and forty seconds for me.

Time moves much more slowly in the Upper Midwest <w n' g>.

B|Java

EricBNC

« Reply #42 on: November 29, 2011, 01:43:58 AM »
I was thinking about the thumb guard and your dislike of it - I am guessing it is there for a reason so I played around pouring some tea and discovered this:

The thumb indention that gets in the way of Dave's bear paw of a hand is a useful feature for me since I can support the less than full kettle (I fill it half full for my single cup needs) by balancing the kettle on my thumb at the finger guard - instead of 4 fingers inside the handle loop I only have one thumb (imagine the motion used to turn a door knob) - this method still gives the controlled pour I want but is easier on the wrist.

BoldJava

« Reply #43 on: November 29, 2011, 04:15:19 AM »

The thumb indention that gets in the way of Dave's bear paw of a hand is a useful feature for me since I can support the less than full kettle (I fill it half full for my single cup needs) by balancing the kettle on my thumb at the finger guard - instead of 4 fingers inside the handle loop I only have one thumb (imagine the motion used to turn a door knob) - this method still gives the controlled pour I want but is easier on the wrist.

Yakster is a scientist -- I will let him figure this maneuver out and take a picture for us.  Kettle is in western Nebraska by now...

« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 04:19:35 AM by BoldJava »

EricBNC

« Reply #44 on: November 29, 2011, 02:24:30 PM »
Here is a visual of my technique: