Author Topic: Bonavita Electric Pourover Kettle: Traveling Road Show and Tell  (Read 27648 times)

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
Re: Bonavita Electric Pourover Kettle: Traveling Road Show and Tell
« Reply #75 on: January 25, 2012, 12:55:04 PM »
the Bonavita arrived safe and sound today..

first impression.. smaller than I thought.. handle feels pretty good to me.. I have a lot to learn about pourover but it seams like a good tool for the job..

RobertL

« Reply #76 on: February 02, 2012, 07:35:01 PM »
I've been meaning to post this picture of the Bonavita and Paico. You can see what I was talking about in my last post about the pouring tips. I like the way the Paico pours better than the Bonavita.

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #77 on: February 06, 2012, 04:51:15 PM »
follow up...  its a good kettle..  if my current kettle were to fail I would strongly consider this kettle..   finally got the poor thing headed on its way today...

RobertL

« Reply #78 on: February 06, 2012, 05:30:20 PM »
I've been meaning to post this picture of the Bonavita and Paico. You can see what I was talking about in my last post about the pouring tips. I like the way the Paico pours better than the Bonavita.

Your outlet's crooked.

Dang I never noticed that now my ocd won't let me rest until I straighten it out. Thanks Yakster!

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #79 on: February 07, 2012, 07:36:16 PM »

Your outlet's crooked.

Dang I never noticed that now my ocd won't let me rest until I straighten it out. Thanks Yakster!

its the grout line not the outlet ;)

BoldJava

« Reply #80 on: February 12, 2012, 10:16:18 AM »
In New Mexico with the next and last stop, Oregon, coming up.

B|Java

Offline coffeefanaddict

• Standard User
  • "what's a mountain goat doing in a cloud bank"
« Reply #81 on: February 12, 2012, 10:49:06 AM »
I have used it several times this weekend. I like it. My electric kettle has a stubby spout and isnt well suited for pour over. I also like the smaller size. My wife likes the look. I will end up purchasing one and use the bigger Costco model for cupping.

Troy

BoldJava

« Reply #82 on: February 12, 2012, 11:04:34 AM »
... I like it. My electric kettle has a stubby spout and isnt well suited for pour over. I also like the smaller size. My wife likes the look. I will end up purchasing one and use the bigger Costco model for cupping.

Troy

That's exactly the purpose of these road shows. 

blzrfn

« Reply #83 on: February 12, 2012, 12:53:21 PM »
I bought two pour over brewers in anticipation of adding this new toy to the collection, a V60 and a three hole generic ceramic dripper.  I have been using my press carafe to try and get the hang of the method and while I have gotten good results it is very difficult to control the pour so I can't wait for this kettle to land safe and sound.  Reading all of the mostly positive reviews has fueled this fire even higher and it has seemed like an eternity since Dave announced me as the winner.  One thing is for sure, when the kettle finally makes its way home many beans will be ground, many filters gone through and I will be well caffeinated!  Thanks everybody for making this road show possible!   ;D

BoldJava

« Reply #84 on: February 15, 2012, 03:10:43 PM »
I bought two pour over brewers in anticipation of adding this new toy to the collection...  Thanks everybody for making this road show possible!   ;D

This is classy.  10 guys, who have never met, entrust one another and boom, kettle arrives on 10th guy's porch.  Class act, all!

From CoffeeFanAddict this p.m.

To complete the process the kettle is on its way to David in Oregon.

That was fun.

Thanks

Troy <CFAddict>

blzrfn

« Reply #85 on: February 15, 2012, 04:18:36 PM »
The kettle is here!  It looks like it has traveled safely and is ready to take up residence at home in the kitchen (until I figure out a wife-approved coffee nook plan).  I will come back with an initial report tomorrow and will try and post back to this thread as I learn how it handles long-term.  This is my first goose neck kettle and I am a bit over-excited to do some brewing.  Its mocking me in its slightly beat up box sitting on my desk.

blzrfn

« Reply #86 on: February 17, 2012, 12:18:44 PM »
Well I haven't used it a ton, too busy I guess.  But the two V60s I've made with it came out way better then when I was using the pitcher to try and control the pour.  I have no other pour kettle to compare this to but I think the only improvements I could think of would be to have a more exaggerated bend on the gooseneck to allow you to get the tip down on top of the grounds and really control the amount of agitation you want and cut the stem flush on the inside so you can pour every last drop easily. 

blzrfn

« Reply #87 on: February 21, 2012, 12:11:20 PM »
I have been able to put this kettle into regular duty and have established a pretty decent list of what I like and don't like about it.

Pros:
Inexpensive (especially for me!)
Easy to control the pour/ feels good in hand
Heats water relatively quickly (less than 8 minutes for 1L from fridge to boiling)
Very easy on the eyes, even the wife gave it the nod

Cons:
I wish it held a bit more than 1L, 1.2 or 1.3L would allow for preheating of the brewing device and still allow a full 1L batch for when I want more than 2 16 ozish cups at a time
The goose-neck spout would benefit from a slightly more exaggerated bend allowing the tip to stay closer to the surface of the coffee slurry
The protruding spout (into the body of the kettle) leaves a small amount of water behind limiting the already smallish size of the kettle.  This is more of an annoyance than a true complaint but worth mentioning again.

Overall I give the Bonavita a B+ and feel no need to buy another pourover kettle (though I would participate in another road show of a different brand).  I have also put the regular teapot that used to sit on top of the stove into storage as even though it had a larger capacity it was slower (electric stove) and the pour was impossible to control (not purchased with pourover brewing in mind). 

As for pourover in general I love the results I have been getting from both the V60 and HIC 3 hole brewer from Amazon.  I will still use the Aeropress and CCD because half the fun is in the variety but I love the addition of the pourover to my arsenal.  Thanks again to all who joined in and Dave in particular for setting this up.   8)

blzrfn

« Reply #88 on: February 21, 2012, 02:32:36 PM »
The original Bonavita box was included, a little worse for wear.  It was packaged inside of another box with Kimberly Clark markings.  I'm not sure if this came from the King Cheesehead himself or if it was re-boxed along the way.  The manual made it as well, but being the alpha (only) male of the household I completely ignored it and went on my merry way brewing and testing. 

BoldJava

« Reply #89 on: February 21, 2012, 02:35:08 PM »
...It was packaged inside of another box with Kimberly Clark markings.  I'm not sure if this came from the King Cheesehead himself ...

Not sure if that was mine.  Sure sounds like something I would pack in, though.

B|Java