Author Topic: Full - Traveling Road Show: Orphan Espresso - Hand Grinder, OE LIDO  (Read 35608 times)

npaik

Re: Full - Traveling Road Show: Orphan Espresso - Hand Grinder, OE LIDO
« Reply #120 on: July 17, 2012, 10:39:57 AM »
I have. It was two days between order date and ship date. This was in mid-June and was ordered for a friend who just took the plunge into the rabbit hole. After seeing his and playing with it, I had to have my own. I bought the LIDO on CG in early July for $130 shipped. I wouldn't exactly say it went for more than list since the additional $10 was to cover shipping which was how it was advertised. I'm sure glad I got it, a real pleasure to use. Sorry for snatching it away B|Java, I had to jump on it.  ;)

jbviau

« Reply #121 on: July 19, 2012, 07:25:36 AM »
Aha. Two days isn't bad in terms of wait, assuming that still applies. Nice score! Enjoy.

jbviau

« Reply #122 on: July 23, 2012, 08:44:13 PM »
The LIDO has arrived at its final destination along with a few bonus bags of home-roasted goodness from Jason. Thanks to all of you, and especially to BoldJava for organizing this road show! I truly appreciate the opportunity to participate. Can't say I ever expected to win!

I spent some time tonight getting to know LIDO #002. Ground some new beans for a Trifecta cup and then partially disassembled the grinder for cleaning, etc. It's in good shape but does need a little TLC. There's a hairline crack in the jar lid, and the handle is bent. Both of these items will be replaced eventually. Also, the upper portion of the burr shaft (just under where the handle attaches) has acquired some "character" due to what I assume was the use of pliers. Doesn't bug me whatsoever in terms of appearance, but the fit between shaft and bearings is so tight that the few scratches there are make it very difficult to remove the burr assembly. I managed to get it out nonetheless. A little buffing of the shaft will probably be in order to make future deep cleanings easier.

So, just curious: how many of you now own or feel certain you'd like to own a LIDO? The grinder seems to have made a good impression overall.

jbviau

« Reply #123 on: July 30, 2012, 01:51:39 PM »
^^^ Update: I went ahead and sent the LIDO back to OE for a tune-up. They received it last Thurs., did their magic, and shipped the grinder out the next day! Just got it back, in fact, along with the note shown below. I'm astonished by both the speed of this process and the fact that they didn't charge for me their labor or for return shipping. This level of support is impressive, and I thought I should mention it here in case it matters to anyone who might be considering a LIDO down the line.

By the way, only the jar lid was replaced. Doug straightened the handle and smoothed and polished the axle, so those parts are still (and will remain) original.

In a separate note, Barb told me that Doug also tweaked the alignment a bit. He's apparently learned a few tricks for unlocking better espresso grinding performance without sacrificing quality at the coarse end of the range. I haven't tested these claims out yet.

Anyway, cheers, and thanks again!
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 01:54:15 PM by jbviau »

jbviau

« Reply #124 on: July 30, 2012, 07:27:48 PM »
Ha, I'll get right on that! ;)

Works great. Interestingly, it grinds more finely on any given setting than it used to. Another LIDO owner on HB who sent his own grinder back to OE for a tune-up recently has experienced the same thing, i.e. what was once 1.5 turns CCW from zero is now 1.75+ turns. No big deal--just have to get everything dialed in again.

JasonG

« Reply #125 on: September 18, 2012, 04:05:22 PM »
Sounds like a great conclusion to the road show. I think I will certainly pick one up at some point in the future when I get a little more settled in here on the left coast. My clothes are still on the floor though I do have a bed :)

BoldJava

« Reply #126 on: July 26, 2013, 04:48:30 AM »
http://www.home-barista.com/grinders/owner-experience-with-lido-manual-coffee-grinder-by-orphan-espresso-t20869-620.html

Doug and Barb are working on the LIDO 2 and the LIDO 3.  We will need travelling road shows when they debut.  B|Java

BoldJava

« Reply #127 on: July 26, 2013, 06:44:19 AM »
Jeff disappears and up pops his Brother's Keeper.

milowebailey

« Reply #128 on: July 26, 2013, 06:56:24 AM »
Jeff disappears and up pops his Brother's Keeper.
Does that mean I can use his printer?