Author Topic: Closed: Cafe Solo, 1 liter, Traveling Road Show and Lottery  (Read 18919 times)

jbviau

Re: Closed: Cafe Solo, 1 liter, Traveling Road Show and Lottery
« Reply #60 on: February 28, 2012, 06:28:54 AM »
Ok, the star of the show will be on its way up to RFeuker this afternoon.

This 1.0 L Solo seems to fill the "coffee for two" niche very well. Now that I've tried both, I know I prefer my 0.6 L version because usually I'm just making coffee for myself. Also, the 0.6 L Solo is somewhat easier to dress/undress and clean due to its smaller carafe. I'm keeping my 1.4 L Solo in the box until we need it for entertaining.

BLZRFN, in case you eventually need replacement parts, here's one site I found that has them (for a premium): http://www.unicahome.com/catalog/item.asp?id=60115&PartnerID=SLI

Offline rfeuker

• Standard User
  • Some problems only coffee can fix.
« Reply #61 on: March 06, 2012, 08:12:16 AM »
Have made three pots of coffee with the Solo so far.  My Impressions:

Unit is very attractive, friends made comments like, "Very cool coffee carafe."
Coffee taste is very similar to freench press.
Clean up also very similar to french press, but a bit easier.
I thought (hoped) the jacket would keep the coffee hotter longer than it did.

Overall, meh, a pretty nice coffee maker, but I'm not rushing out to buy one.

I should have it on its way to the next victim on friday.
Bob Feuker

Offline rfeuker

• Standard User
  • Some problems only coffee can fix.
« Reply #62 on: March 09, 2012, 07:21:28 AM »
Cafe Solo is on its way to Mr. Hunt in PA.  Dropped off at the P.O. this morning. 
Bob Feuker

ecdhunt

« Reply #63 on: March 15, 2012, 10:15:24 AM »
Received the Cafe Solo early this week - just made the first cup.  Read the booklet after making the coffee, so I used normal FP grind.  Really happy with the results.   Hope to do some FP/Espro/Eva comparisons this weekend and mess around with grind settings too.

First impression:
 - a little tough to clean (i.e. keep spotless like the espro and wine glasses).  It's sexy, I'd want to keep it sparkling.
- Well designed, pours like a dream
- A bigger size could be a real solution for brewing coffee for guests.

I'll plan on shipping it out Monday and will post more thoughts.

EricBNC

« Reply #64 on: March 24, 2012, 08:55:20 AM »
The Solo is in the house...

jbviau

« Reply #65 on: March 28, 2012, 11:57:38 AM »
How do you like it, Eric?

...Hope to do some FP/Espro/Eva comparisons this weekend and mess around with grind settings too...I'll plan on shipping it out Monday and will post more thoughts.

^^^ I'm also interested in hearing more on those comparisons you mentioned, ecdhunt, if possible.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 12:00:47 PM by jbviau »

EricBNC

« Reply #66 on: March 28, 2012, 12:18:05 PM »
I got more sediment in the cup that I wanted to see - I need to coarse up my grind and then make the call...

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
  • Roaster: 4# RK Drum
« Reply #67 on: March 28, 2012, 01:24:09 PM »
Finally getting around to posting my impressions of the Cafe Solo.

Overall, I loved the unit. My first cup from this was the last bit of Klatch's Panama Elida Estate. The body was incredible, which I guess is to be expected from a french-press-like brewer device, but it brought out an intense berry that I had not experienced before with that coffee. Proceeding cups of various origins were just as impressive.

The Cafe Solo is very attractive. Sometimes, while slowly unzipping the jacket, I would take furtive glances over my should to make sure the wife didn't catch me undressing this sexy beast. It looks elegant in and out of the neoprene sleeve.

Cleaning the little booger is the only real downside, but even that task isn't a big deal.

Besides coffee the thing also makes a really good cup of tea, as seen by these shots of Ben Shan Competition Grade Oolong steeping away.

I will end up snagging one of these beauties at some point in the future.

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #68 on: April 19, 2012, 06:48:02 PM »
The CafeSolo is in the house.. the Barundi tasted good, 55g at 890ml for 4 minutes was kinda strong..  40g in the morning.

EricBNC

« Reply #69 on: April 25, 2012, 09:04:18 AM »
I like it. I like press pot too along with Swiss Gold filtered auto drip. I did not see enough difference in the cup compared to these less expensive options to consider ordering one for myself.  If I found a deal on a used ES I would snag it, but at close to a hundred there is more buck than bang for me.

ecc

« Reply #70 on: April 26, 2012, 07:54:24 PM »
Solo arrived in great shape today, one last stop before heading out to its new owner.

In the meantime,

BoldJava

« Reply #71 on: April 27, 2012, 04:09:40 AM »
... If I found a deal on a used ES I would snag it, but at close to a hundred there is more buck than bang for me.

I think it is designed for its eye candy more than anything else, with the intent that it sits on the dining room table for its guest-glitz factor.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 04:26:50 AM by BoldJava »

BoldJava

Re: Cafe Solo, $45 new, one liter model
« Reply #72 on: April 28, 2012, 09:27:38 AM »
I like it. I like press pot too along with Swiss Gold filtered auto drip. I did not see enough difference in the cup compared to these less expensive options to consider ordering one for myself.  If I found a deal on a used ES I would snag it...

Consider the deal found... $45 shipped from Group On.  1 liter jug.  Brown or blue. 

https://www.groupon.com/deals/gg-dd-havana-brown-coffee-maker/confirmation?pledge_id=2836988

jbviau

« Reply #73 on: April 28, 2012, 12:33:47 PM »
Nice find! Here's another link to the deal:

http://www.groupon.com/deals/gg-dd-havana-brown-coffee-maker

God help me--I'm in for one in brown. Had some Groupon bucks burning a hole in my pocket and couldn't resist.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 12:36:38 PM by jbviau »

EricBNC

« Reply #74 on: April 28, 2012, 04:32:19 PM »
I like the Harbor Blue - For that price it is was hard to pass up - thanks for sharing this! ;)