Author Topic: RK Drum  (Read 54143 times)

Jeffo

Re: RK Drum
« Reply #45 on: August 14, 2009, 10:16:10 AM »
Are you folks using any insulation?  I bought some 2300?F ceramic fiber insulation sheeting from McMaster-Carr to fully insulate the roasting chamber.  I'm looking forward to attempting sub-zero roasts in the wind...   :D

Greg, which sheeting did you use?  How did you get the sheeting to adhere to the roaster top? 
http://www.mcmaster.com/#ceramic-insulation/=36ohao

B|Java

This is what I would like to see but haven't been willing to do myself. And if it comes in quantities that are more than you need I'd be willing to buy some from you.

Doing it right away should certainly pay for itself.

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #46 on: August 14, 2009, 11:55:51 AM »
Are you folks using any insulation?  I bought some 2300?F ceramic fiber insulation sheeting from McMaster-Carr to fully insulate the roasting chamber.  I'm looking forward to attempting sub-zero roasts in the wind...   :D

Greg, which sheeting did you use?  How did you get the sheeting to adhere to the roaster top? 
http://www.mcmaster.com/#ceramic-insulation/=36ohao

B|Java

This stuff is pricey... the moldable could be used to make a hood that limits the space around the drum and keeps your heat more controllable...    the foil faced one looks good, but it is a ribbon not a sheet :(

Quote from: McMaster-Carr
Ultra-High Temperature Moldable Sheets
    * Temperature Range: -120° to +2732° F
    * Heat Flow Rate (K-factor): 1.2 Btu/hr. x in./sq. ft. @ 1200° F   

* Density: 75 lbs./cu. ft.
    * Color: White

Just dampen, shape, and dry. These sheets can even be rewetted and reshaped before exposed to heat. Sheets are rigid until they are soaked. You can also cut them with a utility knife for a custom fit.
Thick.    Size                             Each
 1/16"   23" x 24"   93615K14   $131.25
 1/8"   23" x 24"           93615K16   153.06
 1/4"   23" x 24"           93615K18   196.08

Jeffo

« Reply #47 on: August 14, 2009, 01:19:19 PM »
This stuff is pricey... the moldable could be used to make a hood that limits the space around the drum and keeps your heat more controllable...    the foil faced one looks good, but it is a ribbon not a sheet :(

1/16"   23" x 24"   93615K14   $131.25
 1/8"   23" x 24"           93615K16   153.06
 1/4"   23" x 24"           93615K18   196.08

Yikes. Is there any other kind of insulation?

I shouldn't have made my offer so quickly.

ButtWhiskers

« Reply #48 on: August 14, 2009, 03:40:21 PM »
I'll have to look at the box to see what the part number was - I'm not sure that I see the same material out there on McMaster now.  The (somewhat rigid) stuff I used was about 1/2" thick by 24" wide and I got 6 feet of it for about $50.  I used a utility knife to notch it where it folds.  I used pop rivets and washers on my old grill but I just have it clipped on to my new one with binder clips.  I need to order some more for my current pro(crastination)ject...  I think the packing slip is still on the outside of the box, I'll check it when I get home (actually tomorrow morning more likely).

Offline rasqual

• Standard User
  • Chaser of Midwest farmers' daughters
« Reply #49 on: August 15, 2009, 12:32:31 AM »
I had some McMaster stuff slated for the production ring roaster, but now I see they have some new stuff I'll have to consider.    :P

BoldJava

« Reply #50 on: June 05, 2010, 07:33:20 AM »
Big Mike is assisting me install the RK drum on the grill tomorrow.  (Edited out the price increase on the cooler units).  I misread.  The bean cooler, not the RK drum jumped in price.

B|Java
« Last Edit: June 05, 2010, 10:51:55 AM by BoldJava »

Offline JimsJava

• Standard User
« Reply #51 on: June 05, 2010, 08:36:31 AM »
Big Mike is assisting me install the RK drum on the grill tomorrow.  Glad I bought when I did.  Price alert:

So with all that, I'm going to have to price these in at $649 and $715 respectively for the basic and deluxe units.  The honest truth is, at those prices, RK makes $0 in profit and is straight cost of build to you.  That's a poor decision from a business standpoint, but I feel it is a great unit that we have put hundreds of hours of work into and I don't want to scrap it just based on price alone.  I realize that this is going to price some of you out of the game. . .

http://www.rkdrums.com/index.htm

B|Java

Just to avoid any confusion, the price alert above is for the new (very cool) bean cooler, NOT the RK Drum.

Jims|Java
I make serious coffee. So strong it wakes up the neighbors.

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
  • Roaster: 4# RK Drum
« Reply #52 on: June 05, 2010, 08:41:19 AM »
I really like my RK drum. You will be happy with your new toy.

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
  • Roaster: 4# RK Drum
« Reply #53 on: June 05, 2010, 09:11:51 AM »
I still need to insulate my RK Drum setup and I've been looking at Aerogel. I've also looked at the ceramic fiber insulation but it's really pricey.

Aspen Aerogel video presentation

Up until recently the material only came in sheets of foam that was very fragile and VERY expensive. Recently some companies have been selling the Aerogel materiel in sheets for use in home insulation. The first thing that cam to mind when I read that article was that it would make a great insulation for my roasting setup.

I had actually thought about making a fitted cover that would slide over the grill instead of lining the inside.
I had also thought about placing fire bricks, like what it used in kilns, in the bottom of the grill to help store and radiate heat.

Jeffo

« Reply #54 on: June 05, 2010, 04:19:10 PM »
I was just thinking about Ron while I was roasting the other day and felt kind of sad.

I had no idea the business was still going. That's great to hear.

Offline thcoffee

• Standard User
  • Roaster #4 RK Drum
« Reply #55 on: June 05, 2010, 07:48:17 PM »
Big Mike is assisting me install the RK drum on the grill tomorrow.  (Edited out the price increase on the cooler units).  I misread.  The bean cooler, not the RK drum jumped in price.

B|Java

Dave I'm glad you are getting your RK up and running. You will be very happy with it. Let me know how it does :)

Tom
« Last Edit: June 05, 2010, 07:54:27 PM by thcoffee »

BoldJava

« Reply #56 on: June 06, 2010, 03:06:11 PM »
Big Mike took the lead; I followed.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2010, 03:07:48 PM by BoldJava »

BoldJava

« Reply #57 on: June 06, 2010, 03:08:34 PM »
On/off switch with the RK motor (50 rpm).  Sucker flies.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 04:04:26 AM by BoldJava »

BoldJava

« Reply #58 on: June 06, 2010, 03:12:07 PM »
Burn off roast.

I am using 2.3 lb roasts, hoping to get my profiling a bit down.  I am using seasoning beans I snagged from Royal past crop, $1/lb.  Have plenty.  

Got to first crack at 11:30; pulled at 13:45.  Not a bad way to start.  Will work thru several more burn off roasts, learning the ropes.  Next stop is to grab some welder's gloves.  Baking gloves aren't going to hack it.

Using Curly''s model for building a cooling unit.  Should finish that next week-end and be set to go.

Thanks again Tom.

B|Java

Jeffo

« Reply #59 on: June 06, 2010, 04:57:57 PM »
I see you got a Turbo bean cooler behind the RK motor

It's so good it could probably cool a whole house.