Author Topic: RK Drum  (Read 54539 times)

Offline thcoffee

• Standard User
  • Roaster #4 RK Drum
Re: RK Drum
« Reply #60 on: June 06, 2010, 08:05:29 PM »
Burn off roast.

I am using 2.3 lb roasts, hoping to get my profiling a bit down.  I am using seasoning beans I snagged from Royal past crop, $1/lb.  Have plenty.  

Got to first crack at 11:30; pulled at 13:45.  Not a bad way to start.  Will work thru several more burn off roasts, learning the ropes.  Next stop is to grab some welder's gloves.  Baking gloves aren't going to hack it.

Using Curly''s model for building a cooling unit.  Should finish that next week-end and be set to go.

Thanks again Tom.

It looks great. Glad you like it. I use the Ove Glove which you can find at Walgreens here in NC or Amazon.com

http://www.amazon.com/Ove-Glove-Hot-Surface-Handler/dp/B001HIGAMQ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1275879686&sr=8-3

Tom
B|Java
« Last Edit: June 06, 2010, 08:07:22 PM by thcoffee »

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
  • Roaster: 4# RK Drum
« Reply #61 on: June 06, 2010, 08:12:52 PM »
The Ove Glove is great. My wife bought me one of the original Ove Gloves, but recently I found a knock-off brand at Big Lots for $7 a pair. That's about half the retail price for a single OG. The Big Lots gloves lack the silicone grippy stripes but they work just as well as the original.

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #62 on: June 06, 2010, 08:17:40 PM »

Jeffo

« Reply #63 on: June 06, 2010, 10:48:00 PM »
After a few years my Ove Gloves are finally starting to wear and it's a matter of how much pain I can tolerate before I buy more. They're great. The ones in the picture above look different than mine so maybe they've improved them.

BoldJava

« Reply #64 on: June 07, 2010, 03:59:34 AM »
I grabbed some welder's gloves, with xlong forearm coverage. I know my ability to burn myself.  I had an Ove Glove and didn't find them it to the game at hand even with just baking.

B|Java

« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 04:41:31 AM by BoldJava »

BoldJava

« Reply #65 on: June 07, 2010, 04:42:34 AM »
Oh, P.S.  I can hear the beans cracking again!  

For those of you long experienced on the drum, are you able to do 230 gram roasts?  Might fall back on the Gene for those sample roasts as I know the profiling I need there.  Hate to pooch a sample, ya know? <Grapefruit served to my CoffeeFest rockstar friend...>

B|Java
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 04:45:14 AM by BoldJava »

Jeffo

« Reply #66 on: June 07, 2010, 06:41:57 PM »
Oh, P.S.  I can hear the beans cracking again! 

For those of you long experienced on the drum, are you able to do 230 gram roasts?  Might fall back on the Gene for those sample roasts as I know the profiling I need there.  Hate to pooch a sample, ya know? <Grapefruit served to my CoffeeFest rockstar friend...>

B|Java

I used to do 113g roasts. I now regularly do 226g roasts. No problem with either in my smallish grill.

BoldJava

« Reply #67 on: June 13, 2010, 12:38:08 PM »
Rock and roll.

Welders gloves.  Check.
Fan.  Check.
1100 grams => 2.0 lbs roasted
Pliers for cotter pin (never set them down and forget where you put them)

I have to figure out what to do about beans stuck in the vane.  At one end, there is a 1/8" gap and with every batch, I am getting a line-up stuck in there.  Of course, it is at the end away from the opening.  Fun to deal with when you have the next back ready to roll and you are fiddling to get 5 beans out.   Grrrr....

Learning to profile just by wasting a bunch of burn-offs from Royal - $1/lb.  1100 grams leaves me with 2 lbs.  Getting 1st crack at 11:25 so I am lowering temp on all 4 burners to medium at 11:00.  Need to enter 1st a little bit more gently.  I was rocketing thru w/all 4 burners on high and cutting 2 down at 1C plus 30 seconds.  Too much heat. 

We'll figure this out.

Then the ambient temperature will change.   <Grins>.

B|Java

BoldJava

« Reply #68 on: June 13, 2010, 01:58:03 PM »
I am wondering about using a piece of tin, stainless steel, aluminum, aluminum foil -- something to plug that gap.  5-6 old soldiers, every roast.  Been using a BBQ fork. 

B|Java

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #69 on: June 13, 2010, 01:59:09 PM »
Or, look for something metal (wire?) or even silicone, that can be wedged in those spots permanently.

Edit; your half-German brain got there before mine.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

BoldJava

« Reply #70 on: June 13, 2010, 02:00:01 PM »
Or, look for something metal (wire?) or even silicone, that can be wedged in those spots permanently.

Edit; your half-German brain got there before mine.

1/4, only a quarter.

B|Java

BoldJava

« Reply #71 on: June 13, 2010, 02:06:25 PM »
Whole new ball game with this RK.  Running thru 1st crack was a breeze on those burnoffs.  Now that I am working with the real McBolivians, I have tried slowing it down and it will be a while but we will get there.

Physics of heat is fascinating.  This ain't no Gene Cafe we are playing with Bubba.  2 lbs of beans amasses a whole kittenkabootle of heat.  Say you want to play with the heat of a 90-kilo Probat?  Whole new level of respect.  For heat.  For roastmasters.

B|NoviceAllOverAgain
« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 02:08:04 PM by BoldJava »

BoldJava

« Reply #72 on: June 13, 2010, 02:52:25 PM »
Those welder's gloves are great until...

You catch a bean down the long cuff and it directs it right to the back of your hand.  Man, did I move quickly.

B|Java

Jeffo

« Reply #73 on: June 13, 2010, 04:34:21 PM »
Those welder's gloves are great until...

You catch a bean down the long cuff and it directs it right to the back of your hand.  Man, did I move quickly.

B|Java

Yow. I never thought about that. I know you're not thrilled with Ove Gloves but I love them. I keep a house key in one of them so I don't get locked out of the house.

I've never had a problem with beans in the vane. Maybe I should check to see if anything is in there.

Offline bbqbeans

• Standard User
  • Mark
« Reply #74 on: June 13, 2010, 05:03:27 PM »
+1 on the Ove Glove!  It allows more agility than the welders gloves did for me and after over 100 roasts in the past year, I got to the point where I could remove the cotter pin with my fingers( in the glove ) instead of having to use pliers.  The more you roast with the RK,  the more automatic the load/unload motions become.  Have fun!