Author Topic: RK Drum  (Read 54150 times)

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
Re: RK Drum
« Reply #75 on: June 13, 2010, 05:22:31 PM »
Proof positive that you can teach an old goat new tricks.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Jeffo

« Reply #76 on: June 14, 2010, 12:19:49 AM »
Pliers? That sure throws  a wrench into the mix. If 2nd crack starts I don't have time for pliers.

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
  • Roaster: 4# RK Drum
« Reply #77 on: June 14, 2010, 09:47:36 AM »
Has anyone upgrade to the new latch system for the RK Drum?

I've read horror stories about the cotter pin coming out and dumping the entire contents of the roasting drum inside the grill. Fortunately this has never happened to me, but I am still thinking about upgrading to the new latch system. I also think that the new latch would be easier to manipulate when wearing gloves. Sometimes the cotter pin can be difficult when I've got gloves on.

BoldJava

« Reply #78 on: June 19, 2010, 05:24:39 AM »
I will be playing with Boot's so-called S-curve profile.  I have too much heat going into 1st crack.  With hard beans, he suggests using the 2min mark (coming out of 1st crack) as time to reapply heat.  Need to learn how to work with the exothermic phase as it is so minimal on 230 grams in the Gene.

http://www.bootcoffee.com/roastprofiling.html

B|Java

Jeffo

« Reply #79 on: June 19, 2010, 10:42:03 AM »
I forgot to mention, with the small roasts, or any, when the humidity is high it's hard to lower the heat. When I'm doing a small roast, when first crack starts I often have to turn the burners all the way down and open the lid periodically or it just won't go down far enough.

Charly

« Reply #80 on: June 19, 2010, 02:40:04 PM »
I forgot to mention, with the small roasts, or any, when the humidity is high it's hard to lower the heat. When I'm doing a small roast, when first crack starts I often have to turn the burners all the way down and open the lid periodically or it just won't go down far enough.

For sure.   For DP Ethiopians, and some decafs, opening the lid while lowering the gas all the way after beggining 1st is mandatory, small roasts or large- open for a longer time if a big roast. Also, when the temp ramp is obviously too fast a little lid raising before 1st crack is needed and works neatly to correct things.

Offline thcoffee

• Standard User
  • Roaster #4 RK Drum
« Reply #81 on: July 05, 2010, 08:40:18 AM »
Whole new ball game with this RK.  Running thru 1st crack was a breeze on those burnoffs.  Now that I am working with the real McBolivians, I have tried slowing it down and it will be a while but we will get there.

Physics of heat is fascinating.  This ain't no Gene Cafe we are playing with Bubba.  2 lbs of beans amasses a whole kittenkabootle of heat.  Say you want to play with the heat of a 90-kilo Probat?  Whole new level of respect.  For heat.  For roastmasters.

B|NoviceAllOverAgain

Dave got any pictures of your  RK setup?

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
« Reply #82 on: July 05, 2010, 08:57:43 AM »
thcoffee,

Our setups are almost the same :headbang: :icon_thumleft:

Offline thcoffee

• Standard User
  • Roaster #4 RK Drum
« Reply #83 on: July 05, 2010, 09:27:15 AM »
headchange4u what does your cooling tray look like? The grill does look like mine $170 from Lowes. I did the sheet metal mods but I am thinking of taking it off  because some roast go too fast.

BoldJava

« Reply #84 on: July 05, 2010, 11:15:42 AM »
Been playing on the RK all day.  Fascinating the difference in profiling on it vs the Gene.  I have learned to slow down on the heat prior to 1 crack so it doesn't scream thru 1st.  Then modulating that heat at the right point so there is a continuous amount of heat added back in to prevent a drop in the temp.

Lots to learn but a delightful learn.  When Herr Schmidt comes over, going to ask him to play engineer and come up with some ideas for plugging that vent that Tom slammed sheet metal/alum over - about 2" by the width of the top.  I would like to figure out something that is inserted with tension so it can be inserted as well as removed.

B|Java
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 11:41:09 AM by BoldJava »

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
« Reply #85 on: July 05, 2010, 11:24:14 AM »
I bought my grill at the local Good Will for $60. It had hardly been used. Here's my recently revamped cooling setup. I've also closed up the back and just recently I lined the bottom of the grill with fire bricks to help seal up that removable tray in the bottom. I'm also looking into insulating the grill somehow. Right now the cheapest option seems to be using a welding blanket to cover the outside. People have used them to insulate smokers with good results.

BoldJava

« Reply #86 on: July 05, 2010, 11:41:45 AM »
What is that rubber "coupling" called (like a U joint on a car) that connects the rotisserie spit and the shaft of the motor?  I need to order spares.  I know the end of this book.

I will do a group buy on the bugga's and have them available.

B|Java

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
« Reply #87 on: July 05, 2010, 11:43:09 AM »
Been playing on the RK all day.  Fascinating the difference in profiling on it vs the Gene.  I have learned to slow down on the heat prior to 1 crack so it doesn't scream thru 1st.  Then modulating that heat at the right point so there is a continuous amount of heat added back in to prevent a drop in the temp.

Profiling on an RK is very different from any other roaster I've used to date. I really miss not being able to monitor the temp of the actual bean mass. One day I'll figure out how to get a probe inside the drum ::)

I tend to bring the heat up as soon as I hear first crack. When FC really gets rolling I cut the heat back almost to it's lowest setting and let things coast on through FC. I'll slowly increase the temp again as FC starts to peter out.

I would be grateful to hear other RK drum users' profiling method

Finally, what is that rubber "coupling" called (like a U joint on a car) that connects the rotisserie spit and the shaft of the motor?  I need to order spares.  I know the end of this book.

B|Java

The RK website calls those a Spider Grommet. They are 3 for $15. I've been needing an extra one also. I've not lost mine yet, but I've almost misplaced it several times. Most often it ends up in the cooling tray. I would be interested in a couple if you do a GB.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 11:44:53 AM by headchange4u »

Jeffo

« Reply #88 on: July 05, 2010, 11:49:03 AM »
When Herr Schmidt comes over, going to ask him to play engineer and come up with some ideas for plugging that vent

At fist I thought you wanted him to dress up or something.

Tom slammed sheet metal/alum over - about 2" by the width of the top.

He does have his moods.

If I did anything special to keep heat in I'd made sure it's removable unless your climate/paradise is pretty constant.

Please excuse typos. I'm really having a hard time getting things right with pain pills after surgery.

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #89 on: July 05, 2010, 11:57:04 AM »
When Herr Schmidt comes over, going to ask him to play engineer and come up with some ideas for plugging that vent

At fist I thought you wanted him to dress up or something.

Tom slammed sheet metal/alum over - about 2" by the width of the top.

He does have his moods.

If I did anything special to keep heat in I'd made sure it's removable unless your climate/paradise is pretty constant.

Please excuse typos. I'm really having a hard time getting things right with pain pills after surgery.

Jeffo ... nice to see you back here actively.

How are you feeling?

I know you can't keep a good man down.

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski