Author Topic: Full: Ibirk, Turkish Coffee Maker - Traveling Road Show  (Read 23957 times)

BoldJava

Re: Full: Ibirk, Turkish Coffee Maker - Traveling Road Show
« Reply #75 on: July 07, 2012, 12:01:58 PM »
As they say in Hollywood, it's a wrap.

Offline ScareYourPassenger

• Standard User
  • lever lover
« Reply #76 on: July 07, 2012, 02:02:19 PM »
Thanks for the roadshow Dave. It has been a blast playing with new coffee toys and in some cases sending or receiving extra goodies:)

It was great meeting Todd in person and he was kind enough to share a wonderful local place to get decent coffee!

BoldJava

« Reply #77 on: December 09, 2012, 08:12:21 AM »
Made Turkish this morning -- by default.

Seems that someone in the family left the grinder in a tight espresso grind mode yesterday morning.  Went to dump the coffee into the KONE and realized what I had done.  Not to fear.

1)  Reach for the ibrik.
2)  Transfer boiling water from the Pino to the ibrik.
3)  Shovel 35 grams of the ground 68 grams into the boiling water.
4)  Let it rise; take off heat/return to heat X 3.
5)  Pour slurry through KONE into Chemex.
6)  Permit to drain.
7)  Serve up with 1/2 and 1/2.

Blind cupping (as in unawares) comment from Czarina -- "Boy that is creamy.  Good flavor."

Even knowing my hiccups, the cup was "not-bad," to use the favorite Midwest expression for understating "good."

« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 08:25:34 AM by BoldJava »

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #78 on: December 09, 2012, 12:10:35 PM »
Made Turkish this morning -- by default.

Seems that someone in the family left the grinder in a tight espresso grind mode yesterday morning.  Went to dump the coffee into the KONE and realized what I had done.  Not to fear.

1)  Reach for the ibrik.
2)  Transfer boiling water from the Pino to the ibrik.
3)  Shovel 35 grams of the ground 68 grams into the boiling water.
4)  Let it rise; take off heat/return to heat X 3.
5)  Pour slurry through KONE into Chemex.
6)  Permit to drain.
7)  Serve up with 1/2 and 1/2.

Blind cupping (as in unawares) comment from Czarina -- "Boy that is creamy.  Good flavor."

Even knowing my hiccups, the cup was "not-bad," to use the favorite Midwest expression for understating "good."

Well done B|QuickAdjuster!

;D
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

BoldJava

« Reply #79 on: February 04, 2013, 05:13:17 AM »
Inadvertently left the grinder on espresso from yesterday's macchiato prep and ended up with 68 grams of espresso grind for my pourover.  Nuts. 

Pulled out the trusty Turk.  Weighed out 44 grams of the Brazilian espresso grind and brought the water to the top with three bubbling events.  Took out the KONE, the Hario 2, and a pyrex 16 oz measuring cup.  Poured the slurry through the KONE, let it drip through with some spooned assistance (grabbing as many grounds as I could).  16 oz of a cup that most resembles a strong Mokka cup.   But I wasn't finished there. . .

When Smico was here, he taught us to read the grounds the Croatia way.  I pointed the handle towards me (just like Miroslav taught us) and most of the grounds were on the right, pointing to the future.  The grounds suggested, "Bet you will probably forget to readjust the grinder several more times this year, champ!"

« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 05:16:46 AM by BoldJava »

milowebailey

« Reply #80 on: February 04, 2013, 06:02:18 AM »

smico

« Reply #81 on: February 04, 2013, 01:15:08 PM »
 I am so delighted that my short visit had such profound effect on coffee dregs reading customs in Mid West.

Dave, you obviously have great skills. If you can read so much from the cup after Kone 3 filtration, what kind of bright and shiny future you would be able to read from real turkish coffee cup? :)

BoldJava

« Reply #82 on: February 04, 2013, 01:50:01 PM »
I am so delighted that my short visit had such profound effect on coffee dregs reading customs in Mid West.

Dave, you obviously have great skills. If you can read so much from the cup after Kone 3 filtration, what kind of bright and shiny future you would be able to read from real turkish coffee cup? :)

I only prepare Balkan coffee <wink>.

BoldJava

« Reply #83 on: February 13, 2014, 03:22:54 AM »
Looking for my Ibrik this morning.  Not up here, must be in basement resting.  Need it for the LIDO2 testing.

smico

« Reply #84 on: April 20, 2014, 08:48:00 AM »
I got some Sulawesi Toraja from Dave last year.  This is not my favourite espresso bean, and I use it sparingly in some blends.  I roasted some last week, and brought it yesterday to our friend that made Turkish coffee with it, and it was one of the most enjoyable coffees I have had in the last little while. 
It might be that I have Turkish so rarely, but for sure Sulawesi shines big time using that preparation.

BoldJava

« Reply #85 on: April 20, 2014, 08:55:48 AM »
... have had in the last little while. 
It might be that I have Turkish so rarely, but for sure Sulawesi shines big time using that preparation.

Thanks for the idea.  I will try the Sula PB in my ibrik - - it is spectacular in the espresso.

Fahad

« Reply #86 on: April 20, 2014, 11:23:18 AM »
According to how the levantine-run roasters we have here sell their coffee for prep as Turkish coffee, the variant would normally be either Brazilian or Colombian, where Colombian is apparently conceived to be the superior grade.

Most customers would buy their coffee ground on the spot with cardamom in the same grinder.

In one case I made espresso with beans bought from one of those roasters, and somehow the texture was espresso-like but the flavor was so close to what Turkish coffee tastes like when prepared. I was baffled at the time, and would now guess it is related to roast profile where I'm assuming beans are either scorched or baked as I suspect this is an extreme and not some sort of middle ground profile.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

smico

« Reply #87 on: April 20, 2014, 12:24:57 PM »
This is interesting theory Fahad. I would have not thought about that... Indeed, my profile was a bit longer than desired.
I dropped the beans at higher temp, and then struggled throughout the roast to follow my old template, then tamed the roast at the end too much...
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 12:32:56 PM by smico »