Author Topic: Done-- Kalita Style Roadshow and lottery  (Read 17219 times)

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
  • Roaster: 4# RK Drum
Re: Full-- Kalita Style Roadshow and lottery
« Reply #45 on: May 29, 2012, 02:01:10 PM »
So Jason, what's the verdict?

Thumbs up.

The Kalita stayed at my work place for the entire time of its visit and was put through the paces my a coworker and myself. Luckily the Lido grinder showed up tat the same time as the Kalita, so I was able to use the grinder all week.

I really like the design of the unit. Very classy looking. It also made a very nice cup of coffee. Can't say it out shined any other pour over method by a large margin, but the cup did seem to pick up a small nuance here and there that didn't come through with the Clever Coffee Dripper (the only brewer I had at work for comparison).

The Kenya coffee was also very good. Unfortunately it was liked so much that there was not enough to send back on the road, but I did throw in a bag of the Kona Earth to make up for the loss.

blzrfn

« Reply #46 on: May 31, 2012, 02:40:26 PM »
The box has arrived safe and sound with a bag of Mean Cat Coffee's Kona Earth tagging along.  Since I am already at home and the baby is asleep I decided to give the Kantan single cup brewer a try.  First attempt was 15g of coffee, but as soon as I hit it with water it overflowed so straight into the compost bin it went.  Second attempt was scaled back to 12g and then I pulse poured 200g of water and the cup is rather pleasing.  I'm not a big fan of disposable or one use type items, but for certain occasions I could definitely see these being a viable option.  The only downside is the Kantan is seriously small, yielding just over 6 oz brewed.

EricBNC

« Reply #47 on: June 03, 2012, 07:26:59 AM »
Any early reports on this one yet? Prima has a set for $70 shipped that looks interesting...

blzrfn

« Reply #48 on: June 03, 2012, 06:01:35 PM »
I have been using the Kalita for a few days now and I really like the results.  I haven't done a side-by-side with my other pourovers yet, but will.  The only thing I could nitpick on the brew setup is that there is a lot of glass for me to have an accident with.  The carafe feels pretty sturdy, but the filter holder is just asking to get knocked into the sink or off the counter. 

blzrfn

« Reply #49 on: June 10, 2012, 02:34:36 PM »
I have been really enjoying the Kalita pour over.  I don't feel that it outperforms my Hario V60 in the cup, but the brewing process itself seems a bit easier.  I will own a Kalita at some time in the future, but with two kids and being a bit clumsy myself in the mornings I don't think I will buy this exact setup.  It definitely is quite the looker and backs up those great looks with a great cup.  Alas, it is time to send this puppy on to Chris who I'm sure will give us all sorts of excellent feedback.

As for the rest of the items in the box, both of the disposable single cup brewers function well, but are impractical for just about any application I can foresee for myself.  I did not use the phin brewer (or whatever its called) because I already own one that is nearly identical.  I will get this boxed up and on the way to the yackster this week.

blzrfn

« Reply #50 on: June 21, 2012, 09:20:52 AM »
Chris, try the pulse pour technique as an alternative to a slow constant pour.  I though I got the best flavor and body by filling the filter about an inch and a half above the bloom zone and then letting it fall back down before repeating again (approximately 50g of water per pulse pour).  I hope the Panama Elida wasn't too pooched for ya!   ;D

BoldJava

« Reply #51 on: June 21, 2012, 09:27:49 AM »
...  I hope the Panama Elida wasn't too pooched for ya!   ;D

I would suggest that having one Dave pooch roasts is sufficient for the entire club. 

blzrfn

« Reply #52 on: June 21, 2012, 12:03:16 PM »
...  I hope the Panama Elida wasn't too pooched for ya!   ;D

I would suggest that having one Dave pooch roasts is sufficient for the entire club.

Whoa there big goat!  I'm not trying to step on any toes here!  Roast on B|Poocher!

JW

« Reply #53 on: July 09, 2012, 09:34:07 AM »
The Kalita Wave arrived while I was away this past week, so I I tried it out today. I used 45g of the Wote Konga that Yakster sent to make ~600ml of finished coffee. (Thanks Chris!!). Without using a pouring kettle ( I don't have one and have never felt the need to buy one), the bed is extremely easy to keep even. This thing is really cool!!! The coffee turned out fanatastic. I am a fan for sure and I will give a detailed review in a few days.
Thanks Todd for putting this together.
JW

JW

« Reply #54 on: July 09, 2012, 10:19:33 AM »
Did I jinx myself?

Just ordered the Kalita Wave Style with 200 filters from the Prima Coffee site, I'll use it at work and bring home my latest Chemex.
Chris,
Using the Kalita Wave once, I really am a fan already. I'll most likely be ordering one in a few weeks also. It seems to be an ideal size for a work environment.
JW

JW

« Reply #55 on: July 18, 2012, 03:45:34 PM »
Next monday the Kalita will be making its way to Hank. I've been using it daily and I have a feeling I'll miss it when its gone. So much so I'll probably be buying one next week. I really like the flat bottom filters and the 3 drain holes in the filter holder. Excellent extractions. I've been using 40 grams after my initial attempt at 45. 40 seems like the max to me. I've been too lazy and out of it when I wake up to weigh the water, so I've been filling it to the 5 cup line every day and weighing the coffee the night before. I'm really glad for this roadshow as I most likely wouldn't have tried this brewer out without it.  ;D 

JW

« Reply #56 on: July 23, 2012, 04:28:35 PM »
The Kalita is heading to Hank. I packed it last night and missed it this morning already. It produces a very nice cup and is very forgiving compared to other pourover methods.

ecc

« Reply #57 on: August 12, 2012, 06:42:56 PM »
Bump for an update!

Offline hankua

• Standard User
  • Flame On!
« Reply #58 on: August 13, 2012, 04:32:46 PM »
Sorry for the delay... Ready to send it out to J. Jirehs Roaster.
Hank

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #59 on: August 27, 2012, 07:54:42 PM »
the Kalita is in the house... I will be giving it a full work out then sending it on ASAP (maybe by the weekend)