Author Topic: Done-- Kalita Style Roadshow and lottery  (Read 17220 times)

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
Re: Full-- Kalita Style Roadshow and lottery
« Reply #60 on: September 02, 2012, 11:56:15 AM »
tyme... I need an address

nice little brewer.. I think my money would be better spent on a slightly smaller chemex (probably with handle) to go with the kone..  but this Kalita does make a nice cup of coffee..

its ready to ship on Tuesday

jbviau

« Reply #61 on: September 18, 2012, 07:52:20 AM »
Just curious: how many Kalita filters are/will be left, roughly? I'm thinking I might want to buy more in anticipation of this thing's arrival.

JW

« Reply #62 on: September 18, 2012, 08:08:10 AM »
Any idea where to get the filters? Olympia, wrecking ball, and prima are out of the 185 filters.

jbviau

« Reply #63 on: September 18, 2012, 09:03:31 AM »

JW

« Reply #64 on: September 18, 2012, 10:16:48 AM »
I received a Tiamo 3 hole ceramic 185 dripper with filters as a present. I really like the flat bottom 3 hole drippers and I remembered the white Kalita filters from the roadshow. The seemed to hold their shape a bit better than the tiamo filters, which according to Mr. Nick Cho is important for air insulation to maintain more even extraction temps. I have more than enough Tiamo filters to last assuming the Kalitas become available soon. Of course there is other prep methods if they don't...

tyme

« Reply #65 on: September 18, 2012, 03:52:25 PM »
Just curious: how many Kalita filters are/will be left, roughly? I'm thinking I might want to buy more in anticipation of this thing's arrival.

There are two brown's left.  And at least 50 whites,  maybe closer to 75.

Tyler

jbviau

« Reply #66 on: September 18, 2012, 06:49:07 PM »
Great--thanks! Sounds like I'll be set for a while even if SYP goes on a pourover bender. ;)

tyme

« Reply #67 on: September 18, 2012, 07:11:08 PM »
I brewed up this El Salvador Cerro Las Ranas this morning and I did notice a bit of wood in the brew so I can't place all the blame on the Kantan.

I mislaid my AeroPress and scale over the weekend packing for our camping trip, so I tried out the Kantan brewer today at work using my El Salvador Cerro Las Ranas Pulped Natural roast.  I'm getting a strong cardboard / paper taste, I forgot to pre-rinse the filter, or the coffee has gone woody, but I suspect the former.  Brewed with ~16 grams coffee and ~ 250 ml water.

In my mind the Kantan would be used in the case of when one is traveling and doesn't want to haul around a bunch of coffee gear.  Where you have to assume the source of hot water will be a way off temp hot water tap on a airpot/commercial brewer.  Which is similar to my office and where I tested it.  All I got was cardboard, and really I would have rather just had a cup of the standard office swill.  Yes, I eyeballed the amount of coffee and water so....

I like the idea and would think that maybe it would come in handy someday. But really if I'm going to be carrying around coffee (even pre ground in ziplocks >:( ) I'll just carry around my aeropress too. Also like BlzrFan I don't like the amount of waste.

The Kalita wave though is a little rockstar of a brewer!

jbviau

« Reply #68 on: September 20, 2012, 01:59:33 PM »
Re: the white #185 filters, I see Bard Coffee in Portland has them. $7.50 shipping though.

http://www.bardcoffee.com/shop/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=30

JW

« Reply #69 on: September 26, 2012, 08:42:46 PM »
Re: the white #185 filters, I see Bard Coffee in Portland has them. $7.50 shipping though.

http://www.bardcoffee.com/shop/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=30

Thanks for posting this!! I ordered 200 because the shipping was the same and they got here ( to NJ) very quick from Maine ( I first thought they were in Portland,Oregon; I then realized they were in Maine). 

jbviau

« Reply #70 on: September 27, 2012, 05:27:39 AM »
Oh! I'd assumed OR, too. Nice!

Offline ScareYourPassenger

• Standard User
  • lever lover
« Reply #71 on: September 29, 2012, 09:01:29 AM »
Got it yesterday!

jbviau

« Reply #72 on: September 29, 2012, 09:20:13 AM »
Cool. That white collar comes off of the carafe, right? Do people find it necessary/useful?

Offline ScareYourPassenger

• Standard User
  • lever lover
« Reply #73 on: September 29, 2012, 09:49:26 AM »
I left it on but would remove it to lean the unit. I also like the fact that removing the wire holder helps maintain some heat after pouring.

On my second pour over using some Brazil Candado. Compared to the Technivorm running a Swiss gold filter it provided a cleaner more complex cup that was very enjoyable. This was my first pour over experience so I cannot compare to others but I like the cup and will switch to a paper filter in the Technivorm to see if I can get close. It has been a while since I did this and as my palate has matured I might like paper filters more.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 10:24:23 AM by ScareYourPassenger »

jbviau

« Reply #74 on: October 01, 2012, 07:48:45 AM »
^^^ Right, I figured, but then again the first pics of the Style set in action in this thread show the carafe collarless. If you hold the carafe above the "coffee line," I gather it's not too hot?