Author Topic: Done-- Kalita Style Roadshow and lottery  (Read 17224 times)

jbviau

Re: Full-- Kalita Style Roadshow and lottery
« Reply #75 on: October 05, 2012, 08:16:51 AM »
Looks like Wrecking Ball has the #185 whites back in stock. They're also carrying this Style Set now.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 08:39:01 AM by jbviau »

jbviau

« Reply #76 on: October 07, 2012, 09:06:06 AM »
^^^ Nice. Tangent: have you tried any of the coffees that Wrecking Ball is offering now? I'm overdue to check them out.

jbviau

« Reply #77 on: October 19, 2012, 02:52:21 PM »
It's the end of the line for this road show package, which I found on my doorstep this afternoon. Thanks, everyone!

So far I've only played with the Wave set. Went with 21 g. of Stumptown's Finca Kilimanjaro and brewed about 350 g. worth of surprisingly good (for a first try) coffee in 3:10 or so. Think I'll fine up the grind a touch next time.

The filters are fiddly, aren't they? Guess I won't sweat it if I can't keep the pleats/waves perfectly, uh, wavy while rinsing.

ecc

« Reply #78 on: October 19, 2012, 06:36:43 PM »
Awesome, thats a wrap!  I hope everyone enjoyed the roadshow, it seems like the reviews were very positive for yet another pourover method.

I ended up buying a flat bottomed stainless Tiamo from OE, and use it a few times a week.  Chris is obviously a fan, JW was leaning that way, did anyone else on the roadshow end up buying a flat filter?

JW

« Reply #79 on: October 19, 2012, 07:00:39 PM »
I picked up a ceramic Tiamo 185 flat bottom from Orphan Espresso. It has become my favorite pourover by far when I'm brewing small amounts. I did break down and buy a pouring kettle.  I like the flat bottom much better than my V60 and I find it much more consistent.
I was very grateful for this roadshow!!
JW

tyme

« Reply #80 on: October 20, 2012, 02:30:04 PM »
It's the end of the line for this road show package, which I found on my doorstep this afternoon. Thanks, everyone!

So far I've only played with the Wave set. Went with 21 g. of Stumptown's Finca Kilimanjaro and brewed about 350 g. worth of surprisingly good (for a first try) coffee in 3:10 or so. Think I'll fine up the grind a touch next time.

The filters are fiddly, aren't they? Guess I won't sweat it if I can't keep the pleats/waves perfectly, uh, wavy while rinsing.

Glad it made it to everyone.

I found that if you set the filter in and drop a few drops into the bottom and then hold the edges of the filter from the top while rinsing that you can keep most  if not all of the pleats (waves).

jbviau

Re: Done-- Kalita Style Roadshow and lottery
« Reply #81 on: February 28, 2013, 02:12:41 PM »
Sorry for the thread resurrection, but after some initial play time a while ago I'm only now cycling back to this Style Set. Got it nicely dialed in (coarser to the eye than I'd expected, but the tongue knows best) and have been enjoying quiet coffee with it at night once the kids are down. A few things...

- I like the tip Chris passed along on HB about using the Aeropress funnel to hold the filter in place while you wet it.

- Able's new "for Chemex" fits fine in the Style Set's server. Pic:

- I find smaller cups turn out well, at least by my under-informed pourover standards--specifically, 20 g. of coffee to 320 g. of water in 2:30-2:45 (including a roughly 30-sec. bloom). Am I way off?
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 12:06:45 AM by Joe »

jbviau

« Reply #82 on: February 28, 2013, 07:07:09 PM »
Thanks.

About the funnel, another good way of preserving the paper filter's waves is to just not rinse, which I know you know Nick Cho recently said was his own preference. I'll try that and see if I can detect a difference tastewise.

EricBNC

« Reply #83 on: March 01, 2013, 02:08:11 AM »
I use Brew Rite/Pure Brew 2-4 cup Melitta basket style filters with my 155 Tiamo dripper - something to shape the filter is helpful since it is larger than a Kalita 155 filter but once the grounds are dumped it nests well - results (unwashed) are the same as what I taste using the much more expensive Kalita 155 filter.