Author Topic: Pharos vs Rancilio MD-50  (Read 11209 times)

Offline expy98

• Standard User
Re: Pharos vs Rancilio MD-50
« Reply #75 on: February 22, 2013, 02:39:05 PM »
no offense Susan but you're a better man than I :-). 

The longer handle is awesome for grinding half roasted beans.  It's the best upgrade since...
since... since the Pharos came out. 

Congrats on your new cat 5 hurricane-proof doorstop.

Offline ScareYourPassenger

• Standard User
  • lever lover
« Reply #76 on: February 22, 2013, 02:57:32 PM »
I found the part numbers for the McMaster Carr bearings. They make it easier to turn plus they keep the grind adjustment from moving so easily.
5909K31 is the bearing and 5909K44 is for one washer. You need two to make it work.

SJM

« Reply #77 on: February 22, 2013, 03:10:40 PM »
no offense Susan but you're a better man than I :-). 

'tough old broad' ya mean?

It makes no sense to me;  every day I am made aware of the stuff that I used to be able to do that I simply can't any more, so my strength really can't be so good.  On the other hand, just maybe "easy" means something different to each of us?  I dunno.  I did have a hard time getting the Pharos to behave until I figured out how to get it not go jump around on the counter.  In addition to the supplied counter pad and the non-slip rubber stuff, I use my left hand and forearm to hold the monster steady on the counter.  Once those two things are done, then all I have to do (as Sam suggested a while back) is position the handle so that it gets a running start on the grind, and off we go.  About 30 turns and ....I'm done.

I dunno.  I just don't see that any of the complaints that were raised against the Pharos hold up under scrutiny, especially with the current iteration of it.  I would imagine that people with early models might well have issues that have now been fixed/adjusted/improved upon. 

But...what do I know????
I like it....what else matters, eh????

Susan

Offline expy98

• Standard User
« Reply #78 on: February 22, 2013, 04:59:50 PM »
I thought a blonde roast means 30ml of white coffee in 30 secs...

SJM

« Reply #79 on: January 24, 2014, 10:37:07 AM »
Well....who wins the prize for guessing how long (or rather short) I'd keep the Pharos????

Now both the MD-50 AND the Pharos are available.

The Compak K-10 is my new squeeze....:-))))

Susan

Offline expy98

• Standard User
« Reply #80 on: January 24, 2014, 10:55:12 AM »
wow, almost a whole year, most likely longer than you keep your ...  well, it's been a long time...

SJM

« Reply #81 on: January 24, 2014, 01:56:32 PM »
Good point....