Author Topic: Pharos users, I have a question  (Read 1643 times)

Offline sosha

• Standard User
Pharos users, I have a question
« on: February 01, 2014, 09:29:40 AM »
Susan has very kindly loaned me her Pharos.  Boy, this thing is a MONSTER!  If I can figure out a way to hold it, it may be a wiener.  But, I have to ask:  what's the blue acrylic ring on the top for?  I've read thru the thread on H-B, and see it's referred to as "the floating acrylic gauge".   I'm sure it's got something to do with adjustment.   Can someone enlighten me please?
LMWDP #440

SJM

Re: Pharos users, I have a question
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2014, 09:41:45 AM »
Oh how embarrassing. 
I think the reason it is "blue" is that the backing never got taken off it.   As in....I never utilized it.
I think you want to remove that ring, remove the backing, find your "0" point, and then apply that clear ring.  THEN when you make adjustments you have reference places to go back to.

That's what I think.
But....I'd guess you would get more input over at H-B where there are a lot of VooDoo modded Phari.....or maybe you already have :-))

P.S.  I never figured out how to hold it.  I think you have the part that Will made for me so I could actually bolt it to a piece of thick cutting board and have it not budge when I crank....

Offline sosha

• Standard User
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2014, 10:08:51 AM »
No, it's supposed to be blue.  That much I gleaned from H-B.

The adjustment bolt moves with the turning handle, so I can't figure out how it serves to zero.

Guess I'll have to venture over there (sigh).
LMWDP #440

SJM

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2014, 10:28:37 AM »
Even more embarrassing.... :o

My guess is still that it needs to be unstuck from the top of the machine and repositioned to be of any use, but...
obviously I was not curious enough to find out.  I only used the Pharos for espresso so I had no need to do any major changing of the settings.

Susan

SJM

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2014, 10:54:14 AM »
I think it's the ring that keeps coffee from escaping over the sides when you awkwardly fill the grinder.

Nope.

Well, here's what I meant to attach.  That piece of plastic isn't actually deep enough or correctly shaped to serve that purpose....
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 01:00:32 PM by SJM »

Offline sosha

• Standard User
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2014, 05:02:21 PM »

I think it's the ring that keeps coffee from escaping over the sides when you awkwardly fill the grinder.

No, that's the rubber.   Keeps things where they belong while you grind. 

LMWDP #440

ecc

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2014, 06:04:57 PM »
You use the blue plastic as a protractor, measuring the angle between the edge of the handle and the pointer.

My prime espresso range on the thing is from 90 degrees, to about 45.

Offline tamarian

• Standard User
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2014, 06:12:49 PM »
What you have is a Pharos, fully modded by Will's mod package.

The Blue Acrylic circle, should be a clear one, when the blue protective cover is removed, but it doesn't have to be removed. You adjust the grind by turning that knob with pointy arrow. Clockwise for finer, counter clockwise for coarser. The lines on the acrylic piece serve as reference point. You lift the rubber flap in the middle to insert beans. You can hold the Pharos from the center or from any of the 3 columns. Once you are done grinding, lift the Pharos and remove the stainless steel catch cup from below.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 06:16:04 PM by tamarian »

Offline sosha

• Standard User
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2014, 07:31:05 PM »
Good info.  I figured out how to change the grind, but the protractor thing is pretty darn ingenious.   Will play more tomorrow. 
LMWDP #440