Author Topic: Meet Gort!  (Read 30818 times)

Offline tahoejoe

• Standard User
Re: Meet Gort!
« Reply #90 on: April 25, 2012, 10:24:41 AM »
Let me try this one more time.

What we all, that being HT, Behmor 1600 etc etc... did last year or the year before has zero, squat and zilch with today. Rules applicable to that time are/may no longer applicable to today when a new program or design is involved. You can ship previously approved products BUT not one's with changes of consequence such as adding dials, thermocouples, programs or similar without receiving NEW approvals which are rated, judged, tested etc under the latest rules/ regs etc.

Unfortunately many times the safety houses only tell you these things AFTER the fact, not before so retooling of retoolings may be necessary both of which take time. It could be as simple as adjusting the location of a fan, the direction it draws in hot air vs. cool or something more complex, all overcomeable in time but none at the snap of a finger.

After all of that you then need to get insurance under the current mindset of the insurance companies, not the mindset of 6 weeks ago or two years ago.. today's mindset. That too evolves like those of the safety houses.

Let me give you a direct example, the side panel w/ fan we added. The small DC fan being plugged into a socket, that was already on the system board, adding 45 small breather holes, and 4 screw holes for securing said fan to the side panel, required two years from the time of concept to approval.

Point is..what appears to be and is an extremely easy add-on was anything but easy, simple or quick. Now try adding new motors, PCB, thermocouples, controls etc., while at the same testing for the changes in dynamics because each change facilitates a possible other change, that was unintended and negative to the desired outcome. Think finger in the dike, plug one hole only to create another.

In closing I'm a business person and I want to do nothing short of kicking my competitors asses, leaving them OTRD while working to meet the wishes/ desires of our customers both new and old.. but sometimes getting to that requires years of work and redesign while at the same time fielding SOS comments.. and I don't mean same ol' ----

Eric this is nothing against you, we all have our wants and desires..let me do my job, a job I take very seriously
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 11:20:02 AM by tahoejoe »

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #91 on: April 25, 2012, 11:58:07 AM »
No reason to be snarky Eric.

Good advice from the head snark.

I wouldn't give that post the time of day, except to encourage you to get a better understanding of snark.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Tex

« Reply #92 on: April 25, 2012, 12:09:02 PM »

I wouldn't give that post the time of day, except to encourage you to get a better understanding of snark.

Yep, that's exactly what I was referring to - thank you for clarifying the definition of snarky Peter.  ;D

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #93 on: April 25, 2012, 12:22:30 PM »

Yep, that's exactly what I was referring to - thank you for clarifying the definition of snarky Peter.  ;D

Then we're good, my mellowing friend.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Tex

« Reply #94 on: April 25, 2012, 12:34:58 PM »

Then we're good, my mellowing friend.

Getting mellower by the day.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsP989jIWNU

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #95 on: April 25, 2012, 01:10:11 PM »
Eric, you could always design one yourself as well, you seem to have all the answers.  Give it a shot, it's real easy as you said, make yourself a million.

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

Tex

« Reply #96 on: April 25, 2012, 01:36:38 PM »
How is Gort at making less than a full pot on automatic?

Ray T

« Reply #97 on: April 25, 2012, 02:40:38 PM »
In case we snarkly  forgot what the thread is about http://www.behmor.com/docs/Behmor-Brazen-Features-Data-4.17.12.pdf

I GORTA get one of these puppies.

Another WINNER congrats Joe.   

jspain

« Reply #98 on: April 25, 2012, 04:34:29 PM »

Tex,

They were only making full pots at the show but it can do less than full pots. Does quality go down on a partial pot? Don't know but I'll be first in line to get one when she hits the market in June/July.

EricBNC

« Reply #99 on: April 25, 2012, 05:15:26 PM »
Let me try this one more time.

This part had me feeling warm and fuzzy till this:

Eric this is nothing against you, we all have our wants and desires..let me do my job, a job I take very seriously

I had to get out of the water - I spotted a snark.

You can do your job as a supplier with or without my permission.  I am just a guy who sooner rather than later will be spending just under $1,000 on a roaster for the hobby I enjoy - thought I would try to spent it with you, but I will do my job as a shopper and keep on looking.

Good luck with Gort.

Tex

« Reply #100 on: April 25, 2012, 09:01:22 PM »

Tex,

They were only making full pots at the show but it can do less than full pots. Does quality go down on a partial pot? Don't know but I'll be first in line to get one when she hits the market in June/July.

And I'll be right behind you in that line. I've been telling everyone that the full volume boiler needs to be directly over the filter basket for years. I even drew up a rough diagram how to make it using a PID with OT1 & OT2 to manage brew temp and water discharge. I even built a prototype three years ago that worked - sort of. I used a 2-way solenoid valve to release the hot water when it reach the preset limit; the only problem was the heat kept destroying solenoid coils. I lost interest before I ironed the bugs out, but I saw the design had the makings of a winner. So I'm curious to see how close Joe's design is to what I was trying to do.

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #101 on: April 26, 2012, 01:35:18 PM »
Nice try Tex, you are not getting royalties  ;D  and if you do, I want royalties for my Redneck Roaster I designed before his 1600  durnit!!

0n that though, good question, how does it do on partial pots, and realistically how few cups can it really be done with.    Im assuming it's a 12 cupper,  what if I only want a cup for myself, can I realistically do say 4 cups in it (yes 4 cups in a pot = 1 of my cups) or is that really pushing it?

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

Offline tahoejoe

• Standard User
« Reply #102 on: April 26, 2012, 05:06:06 PM »
The system is an 8 cup/ 40 ounce and our tests show the results are best at 4 cups or greater. To have attempted 12 cup would have made the upper portion unmanageable and made it impossible to fit on a counter without taking up the counter. As it was the primary engineers wanted 1L liter system and we pushed it to 1.2L. I personally did the calculations for the reservoir then added a 1/2 shell around the unit and any larger would have definitely created a host of issues.

We've also found the design of the carafe maintains the integrity of the brew for quite sometime with no ill effects. I've allowed a full pot to sit (testing) for 24 hours, microwave a mug and found it to be still quite good. Then again I'm no Q Cupper either.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 05:20:07 PM by tahoejoe »

BoldJava

« Reply #103 on: April 26, 2012, 05:35:54 PM »
...I've allowed a full pot to sit (testing) for 24 hours, microwave a mug and found it to be still quite good. Then again I'm no Q Cupper either.

Joe, tell me you didn't do that.  You are yanking our collective chain <grins>...

B|Java

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #104 on: April 26, 2012, 05:49:39 PM »
Aha!!  You just spilled the beans!!   (pun not intentionally intended).   If he is letting it set for 24 hours before drinking then that tells me he got a DoD contract and is going to sell the coffee maker to the Navy!!

Aaron   ;D