Author Topic: Meet Gort!  (Read 30818 times)

Offline tahoejoe

• Standard User
Re: Meet Gort!
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2012, 09:27:29 AM »
HoHum...

Another New & Improved drip pot; how exciting.

I'd agree if we had just taken the easy route of copying technivorm, one rocker switch with cheapened materials. Then again I'd have not wasted 4 years of my life seeking only to be a "me too".

But that's not the route we took. We decided solve problems associated with all brewers in some areas, with some brewers in other areas, while at the same time creating a brilliant cup of coffee. According to a few who've tested the unit, we've succeeded

Further, our feature set (see below) alone marks a clear distinction with the Brazen versus any other brewer.. and I mean any..

We are working to redefine drip brewers if you will and that's "Aufregend".
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 09:35:49 AM by tahoejoe »

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2012, 09:51:17 AM »
I have a bunch of coffee pots of all types.  Well perhaps I should say coffee brewers, and yes even a technivorn.  The one thing I can say they all have in common is, they all spit out water at whatever temperature THEY decide to.

the fact that you can 'dial in' the temperature this thing spits the water out at, is imho very innovative.   The pretty much 'agreed upon' ideal temp to brew coffee is at 185 to 205 degrees.  Now where the problem lies is,  ok in that band WHERE is the perfect spot?   Some like it hot, some like it not.  Yet others will say it depends on the coffee, and the grind.

Even with the technivorn, which has to this date essentially been considered the flagship or 'standard' for coffee brewers of the drippy variety, you are stuck with whatever it is going to spit out at you.   With this pot you get to decide the temperature, and although you can calibrate it (pretty neat) even if you could not, ... if you find that the water is actually 3 degrees cooler than you dialed it in at, well just set the temperature up 3 degrees and problem solved!

I think this is the first coffee brewer that lets the user select their brewing temperature.  Even for the espresso / cappucino folks, everyone has their 'opinion' on the ideal temp to do what at.  Hence the 'trick' of putting a PID on the machine, to better refine the process and control it.

For someone who puts a PID on an espresso machine to let the user dial in the temperature they want it to work at, it's kind of odd that you would yawn at someone wanting to do the same for the drip pot folks.  For those who are not coffee nerds, having something that lets them experiment and try different ways and temperatures without having to do all kinds of hardware hacks etc really is a good thing.  It exposes more folks to what is really out there in the coffee world, without having to have a PhD to figure it out.

Given some of the terrible things I have done to my Behmore roaster, (I still have one sitting in the closet I never got around to putting a motor into grrr), if this is built half as tough as those are, I think we are seeing the birth of a really decent coffee brewer.

I would be interested in trying one of these out.  To be honest, for those who like tea as well, if this can spit out hot water that is controllable as well,  I believe he will have two firm markets to sell it in.   I paid 200 for a tecchny, so why not one of these as well and sell the TV?

One question.  I know this is not something that is easily controlled within the specs you have to work with on an 'appliance' but how fast does it spit the water out?  I know some pots you will grow grey waiting for them to gurgle out a full pot.  Mr. Coffee comes to mind as one of the slowest brewers I have ever seen.

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

Tex

« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2012, 10:56:41 AM »
I've not seen a mechanical drawing of the Gort, but the one thing no electric drip pot has ever done well is control the temperature of the water after it leaves the boiler. Look at the TV as a prime example; from the boiler to the filter there is an uninsulated arrangement of materials (plastic & metal) that degrade the water's temperature stability before it even touches the coffee.

What good does it do to closely regulate the boiler temperature without considering the actual brewing temperature? A relatively cheap pour over coffee maker gives the operator complete control over brew temperatures, so why should anyone spend hundreds of dollars for inferior equipment?

Make me an electric drip pot with the boiler directly over the filter, with the water flowing in an easily regulated manner into the filter, and I might consider it an improvement in drip coffee making. Otherwise it's a reinvention of the wheel, or as grandpa used to say, "Stop putting lipstick on that pig - she'll never be pretty!"

edited: Having said the above, I will be one of the first purchasers of a Gort when they hit the shelves. I hope it's everything it's purported to be.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 11:16:11 AM by Tex »

Offline tahoejoe

• Standard User
« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2012, 12:26:31 PM »
Aaron.. the system program is designed to stagger releases according the ml/ per sec so we don't over flood the grounds and create a mess. Actual brew time appx. 4:15 w/ these staggers. That is on auto brew.. if you do manual it is appx. 10-15ml per sec depending upon gravity's head pressure.. less flow as pressure becomes less.

As to temp variances.. We have an appx. 1.75" drop from reservoir to dispersion disc and have seen modest temp drops to that point and is one of the main reasons we have a wide range of temps available to use. This builds in for the drop and a person's own desire along with an another factor, plus we have other variances built in to counter these drops.

It isn't perfect by any stretch but given the dynamics a fantastic job has been done and that according to others not aligned or affiliated with Behmor Inc.

One of the things we are particularly pleased with is the water dispersion, grounds satuartion. It is even as shown in the two photos. One is of a pre-soak at 15 seconds (lloks almost like pour over) and the other after a full brew. And these were from early versions of the disc which has been altered for even better dispersion.

Offline MGLloyd

• Standard User
« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2012, 01:09:57 PM »
^^^ Wow, that is some pretty darn even saturation.

Regards,

Michael Lloyd
Arlington, Washington  USA

Offline tahoejoe

• Standard User
« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2012, 02:03:01 PM »
One thing I think failed to fully explain.. you have real time read out of water temp in the heat up phase.. You can stop it at any point by pressing Manual, then press it again and it releases water.

You can stop it at 170..160...180..125.. Given you'd be outside the "glide in" portion of our program (ie: still full power/heat) you'd want to anticipate/ build in a little for overshoot.. for 175..stop at 172 etc

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2012, 02:20:37 PM »
Oh I like that a lot!!  Once it hits the temp you stop it at, does that turn the heat off totally, or keep it simmering at that temperature?

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

Offline tahoejoe

• Standard User
« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2012, 02:28:12 PM »
All heat is off.. because you've overridden the program

Oh and please..Text ECON2 to 86677 to vote for Behmor Inc. Vote early, vote often, vote Behmor People Choice :-)

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2012, 02:36:46 PM »
It looks like the best auto machine out there.

Can't wait for users to start putting coffee to it and start testing.
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Offline tahoejoe

• Standard User
« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2012, 02:55:49 PM »
we've poured our heart and soul into this..the hell with the money. This is about doing a great job and giving people something they've never gotten before in an automatic system..control w/ great results.

We truly believe we are going to re-define drip and auto brewing..

And here's the thing.. we aren't done.

Oh and Text ECON2 to 86677 to vote for Behmor Inc. People's Choice..vote early, vote often (you can vote 100X) and vote Behmor

Offline tahoejoe

• Standard User
« Reply #40 on: April 18, 2012, 02:57:41 PM »
Those pictures of the bed saturation are amazing... something I didn't realize based on the promo material.  I think that's one of may big selling points to Gort.

I would really like to try the Rwanda 2012 COE #29 Kagimbanyi Uwimbabazi Margueritte in that brewer.

Bring some to the booth, we'll be brewing away..

Text ECON2 to 86677 to vote for Behmor Inc. Vote early, vote often (you can), vote Behmor People Choice :-)

Offline Ringo

• Standard User
« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2012, 05:00:20 PM »
Joe
Are these going to be sold at the show?  Show discount?
If this is coffee, please bring me some tea; but if this is tea, please bring me some coffee.
Abraham Lincoln

Offline tahoejoe

• Standard User
« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2012, 05:24:04 PM »
All the brewers we have at the show are committed to either be used internally or to those we promised units to as samples for their review process.. sorry about that.

Text ECON2 to 86677 to vote for Behmor Inc. Vote early, vote often (you can), vote Behmor People Choice :-)

jspain

« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2012, 06:11:49 PM »
Those pictures of the bed saturation are amazing... something I didn't realize based on the promo material.  I think that's one of may big selling points to Gort.

I would really like to try the Rwanda 2012 COE #29 Kagimbanyi Uwimbabazi Margueritte in that brewer.

Bring some to the booth, we'll be brewing away..

Joe,

I'll see you on Friday at the booth! Patti and I just got to Seattle, rented the car and are now in East Ashford Wa. at the base of Mt. Rainer. We'll be in Portland for dinner tomorrow evening with "the boys!" I'll bring some Columbia Geisha to the booth! Jim

RobertL

« Reply #44 on: April 18, 2012, 06:12:48 PM »
So when will we be able to buy one? I was very close to pulling the trigger on a Technivorm I'm glad I waited.