Author Topic: Closed: Traveling Road Show, Yama 5-cup Vacuum Pot, Stovetop Model  (Read 20284 times)

BoldJava

Need 9 players, $5.49 each.  Closed at 8 with unanimous approval.  $6.25 each. Comes with a B|Java Corning rod (rare -- from the late '30s) for filtering the coffee.  (Note:  Need a quality grinder to use the glass filter -- if not, use the cotton filter provided with the set.)

We went on an absolute craze with vacpots about 4 years ago.  Lots of new members since then so let's see if we can fill a road show.  Complete instructions are here at: 
(1)  http://coffeegeek.com/reviews/vacpots/yamavacpots/BoldJava/5238 and
(2)  http://www.greencoffeebuyingclub.com/index.php?topic=4246.0 (20-some pages of vacpots talk)

A Yama vacpot is my daily prep.  Prepares a superbly clean cup with clarity in structure and flavor.  Putsy.  Fascinating to watch. Old-fashioned, the way many of our grandparents and great-grandparents made coffee.

No money now.  I will have a new Yama 5-cup unit shipped to the 1st person on the list. Keep it a week and then ship it on.  Once we have 9 members ready to toss in $5.49, I will let you know.  I will ship the glass rod as well. I'll ask JSpain to have Patti pick a number and place the winner last on the list.  Keep the vacpot for a week and then ship on to the next person.

Easy.  Peasy.  Sign-up on the thread.

8 Members.  Who will be first?

2.  BeKeld, pd
3.  JBViau, pd
4.  Cammie, pd
5.  MMW, pd
6.  Richdel, pd

7.  Pozzska, pd
8.  Reddy K

-----
1.  FFFolks, pd

« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 11:30:03 AM by BoldJava »

Offline fffolks

• Standard User
Re: Traveling Road Show, Yama 5-cup Vacuum Pot, Stovetop Model
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2012, 07:23:35 AM »
I'm in!
This is great timing for me, I have been dying to try a vacpot. Thanks for instigating this!
Coffee, the favorite drink of the civilized world.
-Thomas Jefferson

blzrfn

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2012, 10:08:00 AM »
I gotta say, now that I have the glass rod filter my vac pot quality is much better.  It takes a bit of experimentation to get the temp/brew time thing right, but once you are dialed in the coffee is among the best out there.  Jump in on this guys and have some fun!

Offline bekeld

• Standard User
  • Espresso: QuickMill Roaster: Behmor, HGDB
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2012, 10:22:39 AM »
Yay!! I bought a vac pot for my daughter-in-law, but have never tried it myself. Please add me to the list.  :)

jbviau

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2012, 11:25:07 AM »
I'm in as well, please! However, I refuse to win; my luck's been too good around here, and someone else deserves a turn. ;)
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 11:35:53 AM by jbviau »

Cammie

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2012, 12:38:17 PM »
In please...I've been curious about these.

jbviau

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2012, 12:38:38 PM »
...Comes with a B|Java Corning rod (rare -- from the late '30s) for filtering the coffee.  (Note:  Need a quality grinder to use the glass filter -- if not, use the cotton filter provided with the set.)

p.s. How "quality" are we talking about?

blzrfn

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2012, 03:17:22 PM »
I would say any conical burr grinder would work just fine.  I use a Baratza Maestro which used to be there entry level model.  A whirly-blade or faux-burr grinder will create lots of fines which will stall the drawdown.

BoldJava

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2012, 03:41:57 PM »
....I use a Baratza Maestro which used to be there entry level model.  A whirly-blade or faux-burr grinder will create lots of fines which will stall the drawdown.

I second Dave's thoughts.  Baratza's low-end entry grinder and above should be just fine.

Offline MMW

• Standard User
Traveling Road Show, Yama 5-cup Vacuum Pot, Stovetop Model
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2012, 04:26:47 PM »
Put me down please--  Mrs MMW can't kill if I'm supposed to get rid of it, right?
"During the early 19th century, most Americans subsisted on a diet of pork, whiskey, and coffee.  ----- Where did we go wrong?

BoldJava

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2012, 04:28:18 PM »
Put me down please--  Mrs MMW can't kill if I'm supposed to get rid of it, right?

Got you.  4 to go.

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2012, 04:54:56 PM »
What happens when (not if) a contestant receives a box of broken glass?   ;)
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline bekeld

• Standard User
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2012, 08:40:26 PM »
Oh ye of little faith...

Offline bekeld

• Standard User
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2012, 02:07:01 PM »
Bump in order to gather more people.

Only time I saw one in action live was when my daughter-in-law made coffee for me at the supper when I met her parents. She had the heat too high I think, and the coffee exploded inside the vac pot as it moved from top to bottom.  :o Whole shebang jumped up on the stove.

Tex

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2012, 07:19:38 PM »
What happens when (not if) a contestant receives a box of broken glass?   ;)

The Wisconsin ironclad warranty clearly states you get to keep all the bits & pieces. ;D