Author Topic: Closed: Traveling Road Show, Yama 5-cup Vacuum Pot, Stovetop Model  (Read 4944 times)

Offline bekeld

• Standard User
  • Espresso: QuickMill/Gaggia Roaster: Behmor, HGDB
Closed: Traveling Road Show, Yama 5-cup Vacuum Pot, Stovetop Model
« Reply #45 on: October 14, 2012, 11:44:57 AM »
I'm not sure what I think about vacuum brewing overall.

Visually, the Yama is cute. Compact, brews enough for two big mugs--it's all good. The cup was clear, but I just didn't care for the cup. I thought that the fault was in the bean. I used a Kona that I roasted first. It was OK, but I felt the same way with this bean in my espresso preparation. So I got some roasted berrylusciousness from Compass Roasting to try. I felt that same way about the cup. The only thing I can think of is perhaps that I prefer a 'thicker' cup. I probably will get my own brewer and give it a longer try with different beans. I have had a vacuum siphon cup of coffee from my daughter-in-law, and I enjoyed that. She has a Bodum Santos with a cloth filter.

As to the process, it was easy with B|Yama's guiding from his CG evaluation. The instructions with the brewer were a bit lacking.
...Donít insist on your rights, donít blame each other, donít judge or condemn each other, donít find fault with each other, but accept each other as you are, and forgive each other every day from the bottom of your hearts. --Dietrich Bonhoeffer

BoldJava

Re: Closed: Traveling Road Show, Yama 5-cup Vacuum Pot, Stovetop Model
« Reply #46 on: October 14, 2012, 01:43:39 PM »
I'm not sure what I think about vacuum brewing overall.

Visually, the Yama is cute. Compact, brews enough for two big mugs--it's all good. The cup was clear, but I just didn't care for the cup. I thought that the fault was in the bean. I used a Kona that I roasted first. It was OK, but I felt the same way with this bean in my espresso preparation...

I have found that the vacpot presents the clearest expression of a coffee (for me) about 90% of the time.  With the other 10%, a KONE pourover trumps a vacpot by a wide margin.  I don't know how to account for that difference.  There is no rhyme or reason to it; origin, elevation, processing, etc.

B|Java

Offline bekeld

• Standard User
« Reply #47 on: October 14, 2012, 03:23:50 PM »
Is body in coffee dependent on the bean, roasting, preparation method, or some mixture of the previous?
...Donít insist on your rights, donít blame each other, donít judge or condemn each other, donít find fault with each other, but accept each other as you are, and forgive each other every day from the bottom of your hearts. --Dietrich Bonhoeffer

BoldJava

« Reply #48 on: October 14, 2012, 03:28:01 PM »
All of them.

Offline bekeld

• Standard User
« Reply #49 on: October 14, 2012, 09:15:29 PM »
You're a lot of help.

Offline bekeld

• Standard User
« Reply #50 on: October 17, 2012, 08:04:19 PM »
Should the coffee take @two minutes to travel from top to bottom? If the time is less--as much as 30 seconds-- would that result in a "thin bodied" cup?

BoldJava

« Reply #51 on: October 18, 2012, 01:50:08 AM »
Should the coffee take @two minutes to travel from top to bottom? If the time is less--as much as 30 seconds-- would that result in a "thin bodied" cup?

Yes.  Should take minute and 3/4s or close to two to travel south.  It's in your grind.  The 5-cup runs faster than an 8-cup but 30 seconds would give you a thinner cup.  It also might have been your volume of coffee. I always use 40 grams in the 5-cup.

When I started with vacpots, I was in a hurry to get the water down.  I learned along the way that the time to descend is an integral part of the steep process and my wish for a past descent was way wrong.  Watch the grind and slow it down.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 02:18:36 AM by BoldJava »

Offline jbviau

• Standard User
« Reply #52 on: October 22, 2012, 09:02:13 AM »
I have to apologize for holdings things up here. Blame the road show Brazen, which arrived the day after the Yama did! Long story short, I was supposed to ship the unit off to Cammie today, but I'll be a day late. Sorry for any inconvenience.

This siphon makes very good coffee. It did take me a while to move from the "experimenting with water" stage to the real deal, but once I did I feel like I almost nailed the brew (using Stumptown's Finca Kilimanjaro) on the first try.

B|Java, your review/walk-through on CG was a big help. Much-appreciated. I went with 42 g. of coffee, as recommended. Drawdown was exactly 2 min. with a grind setting of 18F on the Preciso.

There was one blip, namely that I let temp. in the upper globe get up to 207 at one point--a little higher than I'd planned somehow. Easily fixed by dialing back the gas, but not before a few drops of coffee spattered over the top lip and onto the stovetop. Will have to keep a closer eye on temp. later this afternoon when I go for round #2. There were no overextraction issues that my tongue could detect.

Speaking of temp., without question the coffee I brewed this morning was the hottest I've ever experienced immediately after decanting into a pre-heated mug. Had to give it a minute before sipping.

The glass rod fascinates me. I'm not even going to touch the cotton filter because that rod does such a great job of keeping fines out of the coffee below.

Offline jbviau

• Standard User
« Reply #53 on: October 24, 2012, 08:34:44 AM »
Enjoy, Cammie. I'm sad to see this go.

For the record, my second try went even more smoothly, as I was able to keep temp. in the upper globe right around 200 the entire time. Coarsened up the grind a touch to 20F and got a shorter drawdown of 90 sec. If I'd had more time to experiment, I suspect I would have ended up splitting the difference re: grind.

Clean-up wasn't as bad as I expected. A dish wand/bottle brush helps.

I wonder how big of a contribution the siphon's stable (or even rising if you're not careful!) temperature profile makes in the cup? Can't think of another full-immersion-style brewer aside from that ridiculous Blossom prototype that doesn't lose heat during the steep.

Speaking of brewers, my everyday gadget is a Bunn Trifecta MB. I was struck by how close the cup quality/character is between that and the Yama (at least when using the glass rod). If I didn't own a Trifecta already and knew what I know now, I'd probably just buy a Yama or similar instead. That's not to say, though, that the cups from both were equivalent; Trifecta brought out more fruit, and Yama made a cup with slightly better structure overall IMO.

Thanks for the opportunity, y'all.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 08:36:16 AM by jbviau »

BoldJava

« Reply #54 on: October 24, 2012, 08:45:00 AM »
Enjoy, Cammie. I'm sad to see this go.

Speaking of brewers, my everyday gadget is a Bunn Trifecta MB. I was struck by how close the cup quality/character is between that and the Yama (at least when using the glass rod). If I didn't own a Trifecta already and knew what I know now, I'd probably just buy a Yama ...

That is a huge statement.  $35 vs $2600. 549 (edit, thx). I love my Yamas even more after reading your post <grins>.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 09:08:31 AM by BoldJava »

Offline jbviau

• Standard User
« Reply #55 on: October 24, 2012, 09:04:00 AM »
Well, the MB is the home version, so only $549. :o What you're paying for mostly with that machine is convenience and precise, repeatable turbulence settings. I'm not sure the Trifecta does anything that the Yama couldn't do given a patient, skilled operator. Maybe I'm just in the siphon honeymoon phase still...

Offline jbviau

• Standard User
« Reply #56 on: October 24, 2012, 02:19:19 PM »
^^^ Interesting. Yup, I'm all about the bubbles now. Re: brew temp., I'd really like to see someone measure the slurry in the Trifecta. I suspect the Trifecta's brew chamber is not quite as thermally stable as a siphon's upper globe, but then again it *is* covered (unlike the upper globe). In the cup, at least, siphon coffee is definitely hotter, though I suppose there could be other reasons for that.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 02:42:31 PM by jbviau »

BoldJava

« Reply #57 on: October 24, 2012, 02:53:44 PM »
Speaking of bubbles, this video shows you the water temp based on the bubbles and sound in your tea kettle... or siphon.

Mine is an electric stove (boo) with a heat diffuser.  I have octopus eyes @206* which sound like Peter's snore.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 02:56:03 PM by BoldJava »

Offline peter

• The Warden
  • Distributor
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #58 on: October 24, 2012, 09:01:40 PM »
Speaking of bubbles, this video shows you the water temp based on the bubbles and sound in your tea kettle... or siphon.

Mine is an electric stove (boo) with a heat diffuser.  I have octopus eyes @206* which sound like Peter's snore.

The clock stopped at 4:12pm.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you may have Life. \"                Jesus, from Jn.5:40

Cammie

« Reply #59 on: November 05, 2012, 06:59:33 PM »
The vac pot is on the way to MMW.  I wish I could update this thread with my experiences and impressions.  But, the truth is that I sent the box on its way still unopened.  I did not have enough time last week to experiment.  Still, I am very interested in this method of preparation and have my own vac pot on the way.  I will post some thoughts later.