Author Topic: Closed: Traveling Road Show, Yama 5-cup Vacuum Pot, Stovetop Model  (Read 20307 times)

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
Re: Closed: Traveling Road Show, Yama 5-cup Vacuum Pot, Stovetop Model
« Reply #60 on: November 05, 2012, 07:49:40 PM »
The vac pot is on the way to MMW.  I wish I could update this thread with my experiences and impressions.  But, the truth is that I sent the box on its way still unopened.  I did not have enough time last week to experiment.  Still, I am very interested in this method of preparation and have my own vac pot on the way.  I will post some thoughts later.

Do you have a glass rod also?
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Cammie

« Reply #61 on: November 05, 2012, 08:54:13 PM »
Do you have a glass rod also?

Yes, a glass rod is also on its way :)

Cammie

« Reply #62 on: November 10, 2012, 11:56:18 AM »
Tried the Yama table top vac pot with the Cory glass rod today.....a beautiful and elegant way to make a very nice cup of coffee.  I used 45 grams of the Peru Norte Cenfrocafe Peter distributed.  This was a batch that I roasted a bit too dark and had been using for espresso shots in milk based drinks.  With the vac pot, the rough edges were smoothed out and I could pick up some of the characteristics I thought lost because of the darker roast.  I'll be roasting today and am looking forward to trying the Amaro Gayo and some of the COEs I recently purchased with this brewing method. 

As a side note, I think I was overthinking this process.  I really is quite simple and I'm sorry I hesitated so long.

Offline MMW

• Standard User
« Reply #63 on: November 16, 2012, 08:13:00 AM »
The vacpot + bamboo spoon + glass rod have left Longview and are enroute to DE.

My 9 year old thinks it's the coolest thing ever.   :) Mrs. MMW isn't nearly as resistant to owning one now that she has had a cup.  "There's a spot in the cabinet where one of those would fit..."  ;D

"During the early 19th century, most Americans subsisted on a diet of pork, whiskey, and coffee.  ----- Where did we go wrong?

Offline Richdel

• Standard User
« Reply #64 on: November 19, 2012, 05:06:13 PM »
I have a question concerning heat sources for siphon brewing.

I have a glass top electric range, do I need a diffuser or is it safe to let
the bottom globe sit directly on the glasstop of the range?

Thanks in advance for any input.

Rich C (awaiting answers anxiously since the Traveling Roadshow 5 cup
siphon brewer just arrived at my home today.).

Offline Richdel

• Standard User
« Reply #65 on: November 20, 2012, 02:48:54 PM »
First pot of coffee from the Yama for me.
4 cups of Ethiopian Limu, bought from a local roaster and roasted
on 11/16/2012.

4 cup line on the bottom globe of water, and 33 grams of the the Limu.

Waited until temp in the bottom globe reached 185*, pulled from the burner
and attached top globe with the 33g of Limu, back onto the burner.  Never fully emptied the bottom globe of water, although it was bubbling away.  Pulled the
Yama after several minutes.  Didn't time the drop from top to bottom, I would say
it was 2-3 minutes.  Used the same grind setting I am using for the AP with
the old ABLE 008 filter. 

Hottest cup of coffee I have enjoyed in quite some time!  Very rich, full body, not
over extracted at all.  Certainly not bitter.  Not sure why I expected a taste closer
to my mothers old percolator, but I am happy I did not get that.   It is a really good cup.  Can't wait to try it with the Panama Elida and Brazil Fazenda Raininha combo I roasted for the holidays.  Cleanup is a breeze thanks to the lack of filter.  The glass rod did its work well, as there seems to be very little silt/fines in the resulting cup.
Overall, thumbs up from my perspective.  Enough so that it might actually warrant a purchase.  More to come in the next few days.

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #66 on: November 20, 2012, 03:01:42 PM »
and attached top globe with the 33g of Limu, back onto the burner.  Never fully emptied the bottom globe of water, although it was bubbling away.  Pulled the
Yama after several minutes. 

There will always be some water in the bottom to keep it from boiling itself dry.

I put the entire unit on the stove over medium heat, and let the water go north, turn down the heat and add the coffee, set the timer for 2min., then remove from the burner.  If the water is on top before adding coffee, you won't have less-than-optimal-temp water hitting the coffee as it begins it's ascent.

BoldJava

« Reply #67 on: November 20, 2012, 03:12:15 PM »
Waited until temp in the bottom globe reached 185*

I let it run to about ~198* and then put the top on carefully, never removing from the stove.

Offline Richdel

• Standard User
« Reply #68 on: November 20, 2012, 03:54:15 PM »
Yama after several minutes. 

There will always be some water in the bottom to keep it from boiling itself dry.

I put the entire unit on the stove over medium heat, and let the water go north, turn down the heat and add the coffee, set the timer for 2min., then remove from the burner.  If the water is on top before adding coffee, you won't have less-than-optimal-temp water hitting the coffee as it begins it's ascent.

That sounds like a winning upgrade to me.  Seems to simplify the timing element of this process as well as the "when is the temp right" question.  Wait for the water to all head north,  add coffee to the top, stir wait two minutes remove from heat, time the descent.  Thanks Peter, this will be added to tomorrow mornings brew session.

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #69 on: November 20, 2012, 03:58:34 PM »
Waited until temp in the bottom globe reached 185*

I let it run to about ~198* and then put the top on carefully, never removing from the stove.

Why not put it on assembled w/ water in it? 

RobertL

« Reply #70 on: November 20, 2012, 04:11:02 PM »
I need to break out my Yama I haven't used it in a while.

BoldJava

« Reply #71 on: November 20, 2012, 04:11:28 PM »

Because the water will begin to ascend at 145* and mislead when to add the coffee.  I know which kind of bubbles/bubble agitation to look for and then add the top.  You can certainly do it with the top already on but a frequent thermometer check is called for to assure that you aren't dropping the coffee prematurely.

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #72 on: November 20, 2012, 04:38:19 PM »

Because the water will begin to ascend at 145* and mislead when to add the coffee.  I know which kind of bubbles/bubble agitation to look for and then add the top.  You can certainly do it with the top already on but a frequent thermometer check is called for to assure that you aren't dropping the coffee prematurely.

I see what you're saying, and generally wait for the water to be on top for a couple minutes so that its temp is stabilized.

BoldJava

« Reply #73 on: November 20, 2012, 05:03:23 PM »

I see what you're saying, and generally wait for the water to be on top for a couple minutes so that its temp is stabilized.

Check it with a thermometer now and again to make sure your approach puts you temp.  It takes a while to get up to appropriate extraction temp.

Offline Richdel

• Standard User
« Reply #74 on: November 21, 2012, 04:55:01 AM »

Check it with a thermometer now and again to make sure your approach puts you temp.  It takes a while to get up to appropriate extraction temp.

And as you stated earlier, you add the coffee, stir then put the lid on when the water in the top globe reaches ~198*.  Heading to the kitchen as I finish typing this.