Author Topic: Closed: Traveling Road Show, Yama 5-cup Vacuum Pot, Stovetop Model  (Read 20287 times)

BoldJava

Re: Closed: Traveling Road Show, Yama 5-cup Vacuum Pot, Stovetop Model
« Reply #75 on: November 21, 2012, 12:10:55 PM »
No.

Water in the bottom achieves 198*.  Carefully place dome on.  Let water ascend, add coffee, dunk with rice spoon, steep for 1:45 min at temp, pull from heat.

See the first post.  I have a link to CoffeeGeek for further info.

RobertL

« Reply #76 on: November 21, 2012, 12:19:22 PM »
And as you stated earlier, you add the coffee, stir then put the lid on when the water in the top globe reaches ~198*.  Heading to the kitchen as I finish typing this.

This post really confused me it sounds like you intended to put the coffee in the bottom pot.  ???

Offline Richdel

• Standard User
« Reply #77 on: November 21, 2012, 12:21:54 PM »
No.

Water in the bottom achieves 198*.  Carefully place dome on.  Let water ascend, add coffee, dunk with rice spoon, steep for 1:45 min at temp, pull from heat.

See the first post.  I have a link to CoffeeGeek for further info.

Yes, that's what I did.  I was using the Thermapen in the bottom globe, but mistyped and said top globe.  The cup of coffee this morning was excellent.  Really the best cup of coffee I have had in quite some time.  I have been looking to replace the AP, and I guess I have my answer on what will replace it.  I will need the 8c model, as the 5c model barely makes enough for Mrs Richdel and I.  The next two purchases have been confirmed I guess, Gort and the 8c Yama!  Merry Christmas to me.

BoldJava

« Reply #78 on: November 21, 2012, 12:28:46 PM »
Good job Rich.  Best price on a shipped 8-cupper is on Amazon.

B|Java

Offline Richdel

• Standard User
« Reply #79 on: November 21, 2012, 01:57:57 PM »
Enjoying another cup of the Ethiopian Limu as I finish up making our traditional
Thanksgiving stuffing.  A recipe from Epicurous Food 15 years backs, New England Sausage, Apple and Dried Cranberry Stuffing.  Takes a bit of effort to make, mostly in the prep, so its best to get it done the day before.  The stuffing has become a big hit at our home during the Thanksgiving feast.

This cup of Limu is quite the reward for a task well done!

Offline Richdel

• Standard User
« Reply #80 on: November 22, 2012, 06:05:19 AM »
Another outrageously good siphon pot this morning with breakfast.

13 grams each of:  Panama Elida, Ethiopian Harar FTO, and Brazil Fazenda Raininha.

This cup was very sweet.  All coffees were 7 days post roast.  Shortened the prep time this morning by adding 5c of water at 200* from the Pino Kettle.  Coffee was quickly in the mug and being enjoyed, just minutes after the turkey was placed in the oven. 

With the Yama showing up earlier this week, the 10c Espro has found its way off the shelf.  Cleanup on the Yama seems easier then then the Espro, but the capacity of the Espro makes it my go to pot for the larger crowd.

BoldJava

« Reply #81 on: November 22, 2012, 06:18:32 AM »
Another outrageously good siphon pot this morning with breakfast.

With the Yama showing up earlier this week, the 10c Espro has found its way off the shelf.  Cleanup on the Yama seems easier then then the Espro, but the capacity of the Espro makes it my go to pot for the larger crowd.

I share your tastes.  Two of the best ways to prepare the coffee we roast.

PozzSka

Closed: Traveling Road Show, Yama 5-cup Vacuum Pot, Stovetop Model
« Reply #82 on: December 11, 2012, 05:15:23 AM »
Ive enjoyed the Yama this last week. More detailed update to come when I'm at a real computer.

Offline fffolks

• Standard User
« Reply #83 on: January 05, 2013, 11:25:31 AM »
The Yama arrived home today and  I am excited to try it out tomorrow morning! Thanks to everyone who participated and took such good care of it for me. I will give it a wrap up report when I test it out.
Coffee, the favorite drink of the civilized world.
-Thomas Jefferson

BoldJava

« Reply #84 on: January 05, 2013, 11:28:53 AM »
The Yama arrived home today and  I am excited to try it out tomorrow morning! Thanks to everyone who participated and took such good care of it for me. I will give it a wrap up report when I test it out.

...and thanks to all members for keeping the Yama moving.  Not one bump reminder needed.  Good on the club.

Tex

« Reply #85 on: January 05, 2013, 11:33:02 AM »
Having grown up drinking grandma's coffee made with her wedding gift Silex, I'm always interested in first-time vac pot users reactions. It's not necessarily the best coffee maker, and there are certainly simpler coffee makers, but the sense of magic from these makes for a special coffee event.

Just be careful not to stall the brew, and be aware that some folks advocate using a damp cloth to unstall a failed brew - and that other folks have reported shattered bottom pots when a damp cloth is used.

Looking forward to your review! :)

BoldJava

« Reply #86 on: January 05, 2013, 11:36:07 AM »
Damp cloths are verboten.  If it stalls, put it on a cold back burner and go to work.  It will work itself out.

Offline fffolks

• Standard User
« Reply #87 on: January 06, 2013, 07:54:08 AM »
I brewed my first pot in the Yama this morning and my only regret is that I didn't try it sooner. I had concerns that it would be too fussy, but with Dave's CG instructions it turned out to be simple and fun. I love the process and most of all the cup it produced. I have been drinking an Ethiopian Sidama Deri Kochoha for the last few days that I had roasted to a C+. It's a coffee that I'm familiar with and had been tweaking the brewing parameters in the Beehouse and I thought I was getting all that I could out of it, but the vacuum pot gave me more. It was sweeter, brighter and all of the flavors were more defined. I used a vintage PeDe "88" for the grind and must have had some beginners luck because  I hit all of the brew times as instructed and I'm not sure that the coffee could have been any better. As I generally am up 3 or 4 hours before I have to leave for work, I can see myself using the Yama every day. Thanks again to everyone for participating, I'm not sure I would have tried this without the roadshow.
Coffee, the favorite drink of the civilized world.
-Thomas Jefferson

BoldJava

« Reply #88 on: January 06, 2013, 08:01:00 AM »
...but with Dave's CG instructions it turned out to be simple and fun. I love the process and most of all the cup it produced.

Glad it helped.  Guests are always fascinated by a vacpot.  Most of our grandparents (great-grandparents for some members) used vacpots.

...I thought I was getting all that I could out of it, but the vacuum pot gave me more. It was sweeter, brighter and all of the flavors were more defined.

Very well expressed.  On occasion, I bump into a coffee that just doesn't measure up in the vacuum pot.  I can't explain it.  Not variety, origin, or processing related.  Love to compare a coffee head to head from pourvers to vacpots. 

I can see myself using the Yama every day. Thanks again to everyone for participating, I'm not sure I would have tried this without the roadshow.

Road show purpose served.  Cup on!

B|Java