Author Topic: Closed: Ilsa, Napoletana Brewer, 18 oz, Stainless Steel - Traveling Road Show  (Read 11824 times)

BoldJava

Re: Ilsa Napoletana Brewer, 18 oz, Stainless Steel - Traveling Road Show/Raffle
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2012, 12:16:51 PM »
The Easy Carmel Character walks away a winner, once again.

Congrats!

1.  B|Java
2.  HC4U
3.  Ray T
5.  Yakster
6.  BozemanEric
7.  Bekeld
8.  ReddyK
----
Winner's Circle of Roses (look at who is over the horse's rump)
4.  ECC

« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 12:19:49 PM by BoldJava »

ecc

« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2012, 04:58:16 PM »
Victory lap!

I had a speech prepared, but was afraid that I would somehow let my plans for global coffee toy domination slip out, so I'll skip it.

Big thanks to our b|road show master for dangling this, looks like a good one!

That horse is missing something though...

Much better.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 04:59:56 PM by ecc »

BoldJava

« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2012, 05:06:34 PM »
Unit was on the porch from Mr. Brown when I walked in the door with 66 Buffalo cups.  The Czarina is groaning.  Madly.  I am in deep trouble unless all this stuff does out the door. 

I will clean open the box, shoot some pictures, and make a pot from the Ilsa in the morning.  Stay tuned for the 1st look.

B|Java
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 09:47:22 AM by BoldJava »

BoldJava

« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2012, 08:23:35 AM »
1st Look.

Ms Ilsa came out of the box this morning.  Well made, light gauge stainless steel.  Finished well.  Took the time to RTFM as we haven't seen this method of prep discussed at all.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 05:41:05 AM by BoldJava »

BoldJava

« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2012, 08:27:09 AM »
OK, read all the directions.  Ground the coffee medium drip grind, and proceeded to spill water all over the directions (sorry, ECC).
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 08:46:21 AM by BoldJava »

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2012, 08:39:36 AM »
PID'ing horses ist verboten.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

BoldJava

« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2012, 09:02:52 AM »
Tried putting the 35 grams of medium into the "grounds bin."  Whoops, not even close.  Too much coffee.

Let's see 18 oz water -- 25 grams of coffee?  Will call for a much finer grind.  Remember at this point that the directions said "fine grind" so I broke out my mokka pot grind.  It is half way, smack dab in the middle, between a conventional pourover grind and an espresso grind.

Voila, 25 grams fit fine.  No tamping, just a back side of a knife for leveling.  Screw the top on the grinds bin.  Set aside.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 07:12:41 AM by BoldJava »

BoldJava

« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2012, 09:06:05 AM »
Now, how full to fill it?  Fortunately, there is a port hole drilled through the water chamber.  Stay below it but come right up to it.  That's about 17-18 oz of water.  It is through that vented hole the steam will exit.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 09:08:42 AM by BoldJava »

BoldJava

« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2012, 09:09:43 AM »
Once the water chamber is filled with 18 oz of water. grab the coffee chamber.  Take your time and fit the grounds bin (coffee on top) portion of the unit into the water reservoir chamber. (pic 1 below).

Slide and twist it into place, so the coffee is seated on top of the water chamber. Fit the pouring spouted top section into the unit.  (pic 2 below)

Make sure it is all secure.  Take your time.  Make sure your handles are aligned.  You need this on squarely and tight.  Ensure it is in place. (pic 3 below)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 08:41:34 AM by BoldJava »

BoldJava

« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2012, 09:14:58 AM »
With stovetops (whether vacpots or mokka pots), I use heat diffuser rings.  These spread heat more evenly and prevent scorching the bottom of ECC's new pot.  I positioned the pot at the edge of the burner, keeping the handles away from the heat.

Medium high heat, 15 minutes to boil. 
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 05:43:08 AM by BoldJava »

BoldJava

« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2012, 09:20:40 AM »
Watch the port hole, listen for bubbling.  When it boils, flip it. 

Warning:  Please read this.

Above all else, take your time.
1.  Be careful.  This is scalding hot. 
2.  Use mitts (though the handles were cool to the touch).  Keeping handles away from the burner heat helps.
3.  Do all these steps over the sink.
4.  When you have your hand on both handles, use the other hand to steady and guide the pot.
5.  Quickly invert the unit, with the port hole facing toward back of sink.
6.  Expect some drips from the porthole.  Normal.
7.  Set the unit back on the stove.
8.  Takes 5 minutes to drip through.
9.  Pour...
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 09:50:26 AM by BoldJava »

BoldJava

« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2012, 09:22:25 AM »
Now enjoy...

BoldJava

« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2012, 09:34:52 AM »
Thoughts from the 1st Look.

There is a slight manufacturing imperfection on the "grounds bin" filter.  Looked at it very closely and decided that it wouldn't affect the steeping one iota.  Totally superficial, cosmetic and of no consequence.  Fly with it.

1.  High putz factor.  Will appeal to those interested in ritual, tactile nature of the prep.
2.  Seems daunting.  Second pot, though, was a breeze.
3.  Need to play with water/coffee ratio.  Not quite satisfied.
4.  I have hearing deficit.  I need to do an open pot boil to simulate the time/sound.  15-18 minutes seems about right for this med-hi temp setting.
5.  Clean-up was easier than I thought.  Over my shoulder, I already caught a "that's one prep you get to clean up."  The Czarina also leaves me the Espro to clean up after. 

Taste?  For those of you familiar with it, this mimics a mokka-pot-light.  The body is not quite as husky or full as a mokka pot but the mouthfeel takes on that same element of a slight dryness.  We used mokka pots for about 1.5 years before I branched out. Good cup, though not quite as hot as I like a cup to come off the prep.  Need to rework time/boil parameters.

Good purchase; good fun.  I will play with it again tomorrow and then get off to HC4U.

B|Java
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 09:52:52 AM by BoldJava »

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2012, 10:11:07 AM »
:

« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 10:13:39 AM by peter »
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

BoldJava

Re: Closed: Ilsa, Napoletana Brewer, 18 oz, Stainless Steel - Traveling Road Show
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2012, 07:09:24 AM »
Final look and observations

Did a pot this morning, using the mokka pot grind.  Coffee bin will take 28 grams, slight taps on the side to settle the grounds and then a final knife edge to level the grounds. Filled the water reservoir right to the brim of the port hole.  (Note:  the water never steamed out the port hole for me, even when boiling).

Set the timer for 15 minutes.  I could hear the boil (did a trial run, uncapped, yesterday to pick up the sound). Used sound of boil as the steam never came out of the hole for me, though boiling.  Flipped it.  Still dripping at 5 minutes.  Completed around 6 minutes.

Cup is approachable (temp-wise) right off the pour (due to length of steep).  28 grams of coffee is just right for my strength taste/preferences.  Better cup than yesterday.  Has mokka-cup character in the body but much greater clarity in the flavors/nuances than a mokka pot offers.

Excellent cup but prep would fall to an occasional use for me. 

Biggest plus?
^  High tactile, ritual approach to coffee (same factor will be biggest minus for some)

Biggest minus?
^  Cup is approachable right off the steep. I miss that lip tingling heated cup where I can play with aroma and add to the anticipation.

On to HeadChange's home.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 07:19:56 AM by BoldJava »