Author Topic: Closed: Ilsa, Napoletana Brewer, 18 oz, Stainless Steel - Traveling Road Show  (Read 11827 times)

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
  • Roaster: 4# RK Drum
Closed: Ilsa, Napoletana Brewer, 18 oz, Stainless Steel - Traveling Road Show
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2012, 07:21:42 AM »
Nice writeup. Can't wait to try it out.

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
Re: Closed: Ilsa, Napoletana Brewer, 18 oz, Stainless Steel - Traveling Road Show
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2012, 06:08:30 AM »
Brewer arrived yesterday safe and sound, along with a couple of set of the very lovely buffalo china cups. I will put both through the paces this weekend and send the brewer on its way next week.

Ray T

Arrived today minus the  lovely buffalo china cups  ;D may take it for a ride tomorrow if gort allows 

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
HC4U, are you flipping over this flip-pot brewer?  Have you had a chance to try it out yet?

I used it a couple times. I was not terribly impressed with my results. Coffee seems a little bland and muted.  It does remind me of a mokka pot somewhat. I'm glad I got to try this brewing method.

Ray T

I made 3 pots following B/great-reviewer method . Makes a good cup but not something I would use daily.

I think it would work on the RV stove fine, but takes a lot more water to clean and more of a chance of grounds down the drain (you can't call rotorooter for a RV honey ::) )    The Aeropress is the champ still. Not to mention all the cranking on the hand grinder to grind it fine enough. 

Thanks for doing the road show Dave. When we doing the 1kilo roaster  ;D

BoldJava

... I've been scanning this thread for brewing ideas, I may take a whack at it tonight, but I'm thinking 450 ml water (about 15 fluid ounces) and 28 grams of coffee to stick close to my 16:1 starting ratio... using the full 18 ounces of water seems like it would make a weak cup, but I might be off-base here.  I'll have to do some reading to see if I need to use all the water.

Remember how fine you are grinding the coffee and you might find the above ratio a bit on the strong side.

BozemanEric

I received a shipping notice from USPS today. It should arrive before the weekend. If so, it should get a good workout.

BozemanEric

« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2012, 10:18:46 AM »
And waiting, and waiting, and waiting, and waiting...  My early impressions are, this thing takes a long time. Ten minutes after I started the Napoletana on the stove I put a pot of Chris's El Salvador in the Brazen.  I think the Brazan will be ready first.

Napoletana started boiling right when the Brazen hit the brew cycle. It spurted a stream of water out the side when I flipped it.  We used the COE #1 Guatemala from Velton's in the Napoletana because that is what we have been drinking out of the Brazen. 

The cup from the Napoletana has an entirely different profile. If I did not make this myself I would not think they were the same coffee. The cup from the Napoletana is not near as clean and has lost much of the acidity. It also seems to have an almost earthy undertone and I don't know where that would come from in a COE. I am not enamored with this Guatemala, or the roast Velton's did, but I like it even less out of the Napoletana.

We have a Rwanda Cafe Femenino that I am a very familiar with. I will do a side by side with the Brazen tomorrow and post my thoughts. I will  probably have this in the mail early in the week to Diane. I don't see me playing with it during the work week. Taking prep, brew, and clean up time into account, this is by far the most lengthy prep method I have. I can do a vac pot in about a third the time.

I used Bold's specs.

I am now sipping on  Chris's El Sal through the Brazen and enjoying it.

BozemanEric

« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2012, 10:41:42 AM »
Chris also sent me two different types of coffee. I was wondering if you all were expecting a comparative review of these as well.

century

Any brand name on this one? Its very sleek. Me likely.

BoldJava

It is an Ilsa, 8 cup (18.5 oz).

Offline bekeld

• Standard User
  • Espresso: QuickMill Roaster: Behmor, HGDB
« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2012, 08:32:00 PM »
I guessing the Nescafé will still be with the brewer. If I pooch the roast tomorrow I now have a plan B. ;)

BozemanEric

I guessing the Nescafé will still be with the brewer. If I pooch the roast tomorrow I now have a plan B. ;)

Would you like it shipped to he same adress you gave me before, Nescafé and all?

Offline bekeld

• Standard User
  • Espresso: QuickMill Roaster: Behmor, HGDB
« Reply #43 on: October 28, 2012, 08:39:02 AM »
Yes, sir. Thankee kindly!

BozemanEric

We got some good cups of Rwanda Cafe Femenino this morning.  We also did a pot in the Brazan. I have to confess I like the cups from the Brazen better. The Napoletana makes a decent cup of coffee but I do not like it as much as other brew methods I regularly use. The frequency of use might be the only reason, but I think I get a better cup out of the Brazen, the V 60, the press pot, the Yama...  

If I had purchased a Napoletana I fear that it would go the way of my Aeropress, CCD, and other brew methods that I use only once every couple months.  The Napoletana is just too time-consuming when you take the brew and clean up into account. If it made a superior cup I would have no qualms with it, but when I can get a better cup in less time I do not see myself using the Napoletana on a regular. On the plus side, it is one of the most handsome brew methods I have ever seen.  I like the ceremony of brewing with the Napoletana but I know that, given the time on the weekends, I would usually go to my Yama  instead.

Bottom Line:  I think this would make a great interior design accessory. If I owned one, more than likely, you would see it permanently sitting on my stove as a conversation starter and maybe used once a month for company. 

Thanks for putting this together Dave.  It was fun to experiment with. I will have it in the mail to Diane early in the week.