Author Topic: Closed: Canadian road show: Behmor Brazen Coffee Brewer  (Read 6786 times)

smico

Re: Closed: Canadian road show: Behmor Brazen Coffee Brewer
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2012, 06:05:59 PM »
This was very succesfull roas show for me.  I was just toying with the idea to buy it, but after trying first cup, both my wife and myself are very happy with results.  Thank you guys for the temp advices.  I will roast Mike's geisha, and try after few days.

bjr72

« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2012, 08:48:45 PM »
I'm clueless about the "road show".. never heard of it... also had to check out this new coffe maker you guys are talking about.... reading the web description on icoffee sounds like alot of hocus pocus to me... temperature control using PID controller has been around for decades...nothing amazing about that.... controllers cost literally a couple bucks en mass production... compensation for heating element drift over time is also well understood .... 4 years of research?  Hogwash.   Try zero years of research and just picking up  an off the shelf controller.  But cudos to the company for making it available at such a low price point... brewing difference between 94C and 100C?   Seriously?  Anyone with a pallete like that should be on Top Chef or be hunting for truffles without a dog......   

smico

« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2012, 04:26:41 AM »
Hey shootersm,
Any feedback on the Gort?
Your week is coming up and I terribly miss it.

shootersm

« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2012, 07:41:34 PM »
Yes indeeed,  during all of last week I made 5 pots of coffee,
40 g grounds for 4,5 cups of water
Gaggia mdf set on 10
Produced a relatively smooth and fragrant cup with no harsh or burnt taste
When i do it in the kitchenaid auto drip the coffee tastes flat and cooked,
On the brazen the water is kept hot, an equal coverage of the grounds
Good coffee in the end

But even if my girlfriend said she liked it more,
It was not enough to convince her as shes the main drinker of auto drip here

A flaw ive seen was scale deposits building up in the tank, even if we dont have hard water inthe area
Wich can be wiped up easy

Thank you Smico

CraigA

« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2012, 08:07:57 PM »

A flaw ive seen was scale deposits building up in the tank, even if we dont have hard water inthe area
Wich can be wiped up easy
Hi shootersm,
You can minimize or pretty much eliminate those by not taking the top lid off right away, leave in place till cooled down & the condensation will drip back & recover the bottom. I've found that by doing this, that the still very hot bottom of the tank will vaporize most of the last little bit of water., & enough so that a partial part of the bottom of the tank will then be uncovered by water & the left over heat will dry it up/out to that point that some small spots of limescale will show on the tanks stainless steel bottom.., not a flaw.
The same thing happens with a kettle too.

If it bothers anyone, you can just take a soft cloth with some citric acid solution (or white vinegar) & lightly wipe/dissolve that scale away. Then wipe away the solution with that rinised out wet terrytowl/dishcloth.
Cheers,
Craig.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 08:21:53 PM by CraigA »

CraigA

« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2012, 08:15:48 PM »

smico

« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2012, 04:28:58 AM »
Chris, Citric acid will do the same trick with more pleasant odour.

Craig, Thank you for the tips.

Gort is back home. We had leftovers batch. El Salvador from Aida Battle and Dave, Peter's Harar, few Brazils from the bottom of the sacs... Lots of goodies...

If anyone from around Montreal wants to try Brazen for a week, just let me know. Otherwise my Aeropress will all dry up and leak.

CraigA

« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2012, 05:17:29 AM »
Chris, Citric acid will do the same trick with more pleasant odour.
Yes that's true.
I never use vinegar & have always used citric acid for descaling my espresso machines for the last 11 years, kettles, etc. I only mentioned vinegar here for the members who don't have citric acid.
Craig, Thank you for the tips.
You're welcome Miroslav.

« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 05:21:56 AM by CraigA »