Author Topic: Bonavita Porcelain Immersion Brewer  (Read 4263 times)

yakster

Bonavita Porcelain Immersion Brewer
« on: October 12, 2012, 11:50:42 AM »
Spotted on CoffeeGeek.  Looks a bit like a porcelain clever coffee dripper.

Crew Review: Bonavita Porcelain Immersion Brewer

Target availability late autumn 2012.

Roadshow?
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 11:52:18 AM by yakster »

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
Re: Bonavita Porcelain Immersion Brewer
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2012, 11:55:39 AM »
You think that's porcelain?  Didn't sound like it.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
  • Roaster: 4# RK Drum
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2012, 01:13:17 PM »
I watched the video earlier today and it doesn't look like porcelain to me either, but I guess looks could be deceiving.

Roadshow?

Yes please!

Soapbox

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2012, 05:59:19 PM »
so are you starting the road show list yet?  in?

RobertL

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2012, 06:49:06 AM »
I will definitely grab one of these when they become available. I love my clever plastic and all but porcelain would be a nice upgrade.

Interesting comments on the video, one user accuses Bonavita of copying other companies ideas. I like Kat's response.....

"Your assessment is inaccurate; they offered a coffee maker in the US that could not be offered because of brand issues (Melitta) and they offered this after discussing it with the co. that produced it in plastic co-signed their production of it in a non-plastic format (which is important to some people). We support innovation, creativity and authentic business practices. Period. Don't tell me who I should support unless you plan to perform the same level of research that I do. - Kat"

BozemanEric

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2012, 09:15:22 AM »
I will definitely grab one of these when they become available. I love my clever plastic and all but porcelain would be a nice upgrade.

Interesting comments on the video, one user accuses Bonavita of copying other companies ideas. I like Kat's response.....

"Your assessment is inaccurate; they offered a coffee maker in the US that could not be offered because of brand issues (Melitta) and they offered this after discussing it with the co. that produced it in plastic co-signed their production of it in a non-plastic format (which is important to some people). We support innovation, creativity and authentic business practices. Period. Don't tell me who I should support unless you plan to perform the same level of research that I do. - Kat"

To me it appears like Kat proves this accuser's point when she says that Bonivita contacted the other company and had it co-sign their production.  If it was not a copy, why would  it be necessary to contact the company that produced it in plastic?  I really do not understand Kat's rebuttal.  The way I see it CCD was a copy as well.  I am not positive which came first but it looks like Bonivita copied CCD, who copied InguniTEA.  

I believe it is a copy but who cares.  When was the last time you saw a truly original product anywhere in America?  Apple is always praised for their ingenuity but all they do is rip off others products and improve them.  Don't get me wrong, I am typing this on my iPad, but look at their products.  The Mac is just and improved PC.  The iPod is no more than an MP3 player with a big hard drive.  The iPad is just a better version of the tablet PC.  And the great iPhone?  I had a Samsung years before Apple produced a phone that was suppose to do all the same things.

To me it is a complete copy of the CCD which is a copy of the InguniTEA, or possibly the other way around.  If it was not for companies improving on others ideas, we would not have any of the products that we consider great.  Yes, I would be interested in a road show.

BozemanEric

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2012, 06:11:39 PM »
The CCD and InguniTEA are both made by ABID (Always Best In Design) along with a lot of other plastic brewers in Taiwan.

That makes sense. I always thought they were a little too close to not see a patent infringement lawsuit.

EricBNC

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2012, 02:19:09 PM »
...To me it is a complete copy of the CCD which is a copy of the InguniTEA, or possibly the other way around. 

The CCD is a copy of the Melitta cone sitting on a valve. The Bonavita is a Melitta cone sitting on a completely different style of valve. Not even close to a complete copy - not even a copy at all.

BozemanEric

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2012, 03:07:01 PM »
The CCD is a copy of the Melitta cone sitting on a valve. The Bonavita is a Melitta cone sitting on a completely different style of valve. Not even close to a complete copy - not even a copy at all.

You and I defiantly have differing definitions of what a copy is. 

EricBNC

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2012, 05:29:48 PM »

You and I defiantly have differing definitions of what a copy is.

When you hold both of them and use them you will understand.  ;)

EricBNC

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2012, 06:27:59 AM »
You think that's porcelain?  Didn't sound like it.

The cone is made of porcelain and besides the silicone valve the only other things touching the coffee are water and filter paper. The base is not porcelain though. From the gray band down to the bottom the framework allowing for the valve mechanism is made from plastic. This part touches the outside of the cone and the coffee cup rim, but not the brewed coffee.

BoldJava

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2012, 10:27:55 AM »
Started the Traveling Roadshow thread here.  Availability seems to be late November, I'll keep my eyes out for the release of this.

From Seattle Coffee Gear this a.m.

"...HI,

We don't at ths time have the ETA as to when we will offer this product, sorry.

Best,

Gail"

EricBNC

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2012, 12:40:36 PM »
It is about the same size as the CCD but is heavier. The hole looks closer to what you expect on a pour over cone compared to the huge CCD opening. One benefit I can see is flow control that is not dependent on the grind. I can leave the valve closed and let the bloom rage. Once it calms down I can open the valve and pour like I do with a normal cone (using Melitta #4's). If I pour too fast I can correct in mid cup by closing the valve partially or fully depending on what flow control I am after.

Try that with a Hario V60. ;)

In the end the coffee bed is flat, and the cup tastes very nice - better than what I can get out of the Technivorm without fiddling, similar if I am active with the TV. I still think I have more control with this cone and the PID kettle though. I have not been using mine very long but the learning curve isn't very steep. Perfect temp control combined with perfect flow control is nice, now if my roasting was perfect to match... :o

RobertL

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2012, 12:45:38 PM »
Has anyone inquired with Bonavita directly about the release date of the immersion brewer? I find their customer service department very responsive. I recently sent them an email inquiring about their flow restrictors and received a response from their VP of bussiness development Todd Larrabee. They also sent me out a couple of the restrictors to try out.

farmroast

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2012, 03:04:43 PM »
I saw one at the MANE coffee conference in Oct. It seemed to be an all around good design. But can't remember that they had a release date determined at that time.