Author Topic: Closed: Bonavita Porcelain Immersion Brewer Traveling Road Show  (Read 14586 times)

ecc

Thanks for making the temperature measurements.  I'm also surprised that the results were so similar.

I guess the heat has no more reason to migrate through the plastic to the surrounding environment than it does to migrate through the porcelain.

Resisting the temptation to split a hair or two.   :-X

Offline fffolks

• Standard User

Green Coffee Buying Club
Splitting Bags Hairs, Having Fun
Coffee, the favorite drink of the civilized world.
-Thomas Jefferson

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
Thanks for making the temperature measurements.  I'm also surprised that the results were so similar.

I guess the heat has no more reason to migrate through the plastic to the surrounding environment than it does to migrate through the porcelain.

Please, split.  I'd like to learn...
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

ecc

Please, split.  I'd like to learn...

You will be sorry you asked!  If we had several very accurate measuring points and sampled them frequently to build a picture of the temperature drop, it is likely that every dripper would have a unique temperature drop curve.

Every material has a fairly unique property specific heat capacity, which is the amount of Joules required to increase the temperature for a kilogram (engineering) or a mole (chemistry) of the material.  Multiplied by the transmittable mass (mostly wall thickness, but the transmittable range increases with time and thermal conductivity) gives a nice idea of how much energy it takes to warm something up, which is how much the water temp would drop to get that energy.  But we aren't doing this instantaneously, or in infinite time either, so a few other factors come into play.

Another involved intensive material property is thermal conductivity.  Thermally conductive materials have a higher heat capacity (takes more energy to heat them up because of transmittable range) and also increases the effect of other factors, mostly emissivity and thermal bridging.  These can setup a very big total heat capacity over time as heat is conducted from the source and radiated away into a large environment.

So the plastic is a great thermal insulator, and with the thin walls it doesn't take a lot of the heat to warm it up.  With a lid the temperature drop should be a nice shallow slope.

The ceramic is a thermal insulator, but not as good as the plastic.  It does have thicker walls, which certainly help the insulation value, but will still take more energy up front.  A ceramic dripper pre-heated should compare OK with the plastic for short intervals of time. 

A stainless steel version would have low heat capacity, but high thermal conductivity.  Preheats don't do as much for the metal and plastic because their overall heat capacity is low, and the metal dripper will radiate it away quickly.

:P

ecc

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/thermal-conductivity-d_429.html

Glass at about 1.0 (bigger number is more thermal conductivity)
Porcelain 1.5
Earth, Dry 1.5
Stainless Steel 16
Copper 400
Plastics,common  0.2 - 0.5
Styrofoam 0.033
Engine Oil 0.15
Beef, lean (78.9 % moisture) 0.43 - 0.48

Offline bekeld

• Standard User
  • Espresso: QuickMill Roaster: Behmor, HGDB
What about the thermal conductivity of dried beef? If I make a beef cup, it would be too slippery wet.

jano

What about the thermal conductivity of dried beef? If I make a beef cup, it would be too slippery wet.

How about best of multiple worlds.. beef-lined Styrofoam.  I'd recommend transmission oil instead of engine oil, it tastes more like canola.

Mmmmm, Beefy.

Offline bekeld

• Standard User
  • Espresso: QuickMill Roaster: Behmor, HGDB
Gives new meaning to "earthy" hints--probably work well with Sumatran.

ecc

Bonavita has arrived!  I will give it a spin tomorrow.

ecc

I took the the brewer through its paces a few times yesterday and today, and although I probably won't have the time this week to do much of a review, I did have a few thoughts on it.

I used it like a french press, a coarse grind and 4 minute steep with a quick stir halfway.

The Able Kone filters fit, although the v3 silicon ring keeps the lid from sitting all the way on.

I like the valve design, it will be much easier to keep clean than the clever system.  Not much better on the aesthetic IMO, but it shouldn't crack like the clever drippers either so it should last until involved in kinetic mishap.

The immersion/paper combo is definitely one of the easiest to use (not to mention clean up) manual brewing methods.  An interesting competitor to the clever, and a nice road show toy! 

Thanks yakster!

RobertL

I received the Bonavita yesterday and used it this morning for a nice cup of Kauai Estate Reserve. The first thing that I noticed when rinsing the Bonavita is that it should be easier to keep clean than the CCD. The CCD has some hard to reach places where the coffee sits while steeping the Bonavita doesn't. Aside from that I didn't notice any big advantage over the CCD on my first use. I will use the Bonavita over the next several days and report back after that. I do like the porcelain it's nice!

Offline rgrosz78

• Standard User
The BonaVita arrived yesterday, and I used it this afternoon. Definitely much easier to get the hang of than other coffee prep techniques I have tried (TechniVorm, French press, Hario pourover).

I used a very bright coffee (Yirgacheffe Wote Konga), since I expected the BVID to tone it down a bit. It produced a smooth and well rounded cup. It was very easy - even my wife could do this!

For a typical Hario V60 pourover, I use 13 grams coffee with 10 ounces of water (yes, I am a lightweight). For the BVID, I need to increase the amount of coffee - tomorrow I will try using 15 grams.
Life is too short to drink bad wine (or bad coffee!)

BozemanEric

The only review that really counts, in America at least.

I am not saying that others opinions do not matter but let’s face it this is America, the land of commerce.  I ordered a brewer today.  I wanted some Guatemala Acatenango Gesha from SM and somehow the Bonivita ended up in my cart.  When I first got it on the roadshow I was not completely sold.  It did nothing better that my V60, FP, or Brazen did.  Over the past couple months since my time with the device my life has changed a little.  R and I are no longer getting up at the same time so I do not feel the need to fire up the Brazen for one to two cups.  My mornings have also been very hectic and I often leave the house without any coffee.  I wanted to simplify my one-cup brewing in the morning.  At first we looked at the Trifecta but where told by Bunn that it would brew at about 190 at our elevation. 

Bottom line: the Bonivita Immersion Brewer will be in out cupboard in a week, so I guess that is a thumbs up.

Offline rgrosz78

• Standard User
Today I used 15 grams Colombia Cauca with 10 ounces of water in the BVID. I was VERY happy with the result! I will get my wife's input over the weekend with a few other coffees.
UPDATE - she was impressed with how well the Yemen Mocha Sharasi using the BVID.

I definitely recommend this to anyone who normally consumes only 1-2 cups of coffee at a time.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 07:25:54 AM by rgrosz78 »

Offline rgrosz78

• Standard User
Sending the Bonavita to its final destination today - bekeld.