Author Topic: Full: KONE Pourover (Gen 3) Filter, Traveling Road Show and Lottery  (Read 17510 times)

Offline fffolks

• Standard User
Re: Full: KONE Pourover (Gen 3) Filter, Traveling Road Show and Lottery
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2012, 03:29:14 PM »
I adjusted grind and water temp and got some good results, but in the end the cup it produces is just not for me. Thanks again to everyone who made this happen. I saved $60 and better yet, I was saved from seeing that look on my wife's face when I brought another coffee toy into the house.  :)
I am shipping it off to dfluke tomorrow morning.
Coffee, the favorite drink of the civilized world.
-Thomas Jefferson

BoldJava

« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2012, 04:04:03 PM »
... I saved $60 and better yet, I was saved from seeing that look on my wife's face when I brought another coffee toy into the house.  :)

Purpose fulfilled.

Offline dfluke

• Standard User
« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2012, 07:57:50 PM »
I was able to use the kone about 5 times.
The first time, my coffee was horribly overextracted, as I used too fine of a grind.  I think it was close to 6 minutes total.
I don't know if I ever got the grind just right, but I noticed this device made the coffee bloom a heck of a lot longer, and I wasn't sure if my water pouring technique was any good.
Overall, I could taste a significant difference between the kone and a paper filter v60 or clever dripper brew. I liked it better, but found the last couple drinks unpalatable. I'm just not a fan of "leftovers" in the cup at the end. One test I didn't have time for was a brew in the kone, followed by a pour through in a paper filter, but I dont think it would have done much.
I don't think I'm going to buy one, but the roadshow was totally worth it.

I'm not sure if since I was using a v60 size 3, where the kone didn't really fit in made any difference or not, but it was the best I had.
My next testing will be with aeropress regular and fine disks. I have the regular one branded under coava, but I'm looking forward to grabbing a fine filter to compare to the kone brews.
enjoy coffee on your own terms!

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2012, 06:40:28 AM »
I noted that the Gen 1 Kone had larger holes, the Gen 2 had smaller, evenly spaced Kones, and the Gen 3 had what looked like the same small holes, but with them spaced very close at the tip and then transitioning about half-way up to a wider spacing.  The Gen 3 also has a silicon band on the rim and a blunt tip.

I haven't looked close enough to observe this visually, but notice it most mornings.  I use 25g of coffee, and use just enough water to bloom/saturate the grounds and usually don't see any drips into the cup.  But then as I add more water as the slurry goes up the sides of the Kone about a half inch, the speed of the drain-through noticeably increases.

Nice write-up Chris. 
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline Richdel

• Standard User
« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2012, 07:09:34 AM »
Twice this morning, nice comparison Chris.

Offline bekeld

• Standard User
  • Espresso: QuickMill Roaster: Behmor, HGDB
« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2012, 09:57:37 AM »
Yakster, just send the Kone to Milo. I got anxious and bought one, and really like it!

BoldJava

« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2012, 10:04:34 AM »
Yakster, just send the KONE to Milo...

1. Wild Bill (J Jirehs Rooster)
2. FFFolks, paid
3. DFluke, paid
4. Richdel, paid"

5. Yakster, paid
7. Bekeld, paid, skip, already KONE-d
8. Milo, paid
9. Woodstock, paid
10. ReddyK, paid

-----
Winner:
6. Tyme, paid

Offline Richdel

• Standard User
« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2012, 03:49:39 PM »
I brewed an 800ml/50g batch of Brazil Conquista this morning using a coarser grind—the same one I use for the BraZen with it's metal filter—and had a 6:30 pour time including a 45 second bloom.

Good, but a tad over-extracted, maybe.  Need to grind coarser next time or bypass brew (pour based on time, then add water to the coffee to bring it down to the right concentration).

Read about adding the remainder of the water to the concentrate so that the pourover finishes at or around 4:00 mark.  This was a major lightbulb moment for me, as it is the basis of the Aeropress process I follow each morning.

Needless to say, my pourover immediately had a significantly better quality in the cup.  No more over extracted product.  Enough so that I purchased a gooseneck kettle today to try and improve the cup a bit more.

milowebailey

« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2012, 08:52:15 AM »
The Kone arrived yesterday from the yakster... I have all 3 (Kone, Ktwo, and Kthree) up here at the cabin.  I'll be comparing them over the next week... this should be fun.  I brought up a few decent greens to roast up and try.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 03:59:19 PM by Joe »

milowebailey

« Reply #39 on: December 31, 2012, 07:57:58 AM »
After using the Kone (gen 3) over the last week, I have to say it's my favorite of the 3 versions.  Almost zero fines in the cup.  I have some macro photos of each of them that I'll post in the next few days.  I'll likely be buying a gen 3 soon.

Kone will be off to woodstock next.

BoldJava

« Reply #40 on: December 31, 2012, 09:12:42 AM »
... I have some macro photos of each of them that I'll post in the next few days.  I'll likely be buying a gen 3 soon.

Put them up with your Kaffa Forest cupping notes, Tiger.

B|Java

milowebailey

« Reply #41 on: December 31, 2012, 09:31:12 AM »
Dare I ask how the coffee I sent along with it fared?  I can take it, fire away.
Yakster

Thanks for sending those.  I've only tried one of them, the Ethiopian and it was good, but I didn't take notes :).  That was a week ago and the next day mrs milowebailey "cleaned up".  She put all the small bags of coffee green and roasted that I brought to the cabin in a cookie jar... I just found them yesterday when I was looking for some green and asked her if she'd seen it.  I'd forgotten those were with the Kone.....

I tried the Kone with Panama Geisha and the Atlas Kaffa sample.  I just ran a Colombian through the Kone.  I'll give the Musasa you sent a taste next.

Offline woodstock

• Standard User
« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2013, 06:37:37 PM »
What a nice surprise when I arrived home today!  There was the Kone along with to freshly roasted cofffes(El Salvador COE (Las Delicias) and Rwanda Abakundekawa.
Thank you Milo.

The fun will have to wait until tomorrow morning after working at a pancake breakfast. :(

That will serve as motivation to serve up the pancakes.

Offline woodstock

• Standard User
« Reply #43 on: January 07, 2013, 06:25:07 PM »
Twice now I have used the Kone (thank you Milo for the coffee.)  Two observations:

1) Milo, I need to move closer my family enjoyed both coffees.

2) It probably was luck or everyone's earlier input into creating the best brew, but each cup of coffee was very smooth.

3) It appears now the family is ready to move away from paper filters.

craigbooker

Full: KONE Pourover (Gen 3) Filter, Traveling Road Show and Lottery
« Reply #44 on: January 07, 2013, 09:36:49 PM »
Since we are talking pourover. I just got 8 cup Chemex and am trying to prioritize what I buy next. Scale or goose neck with temp readout?