Author Topic: Full: KONE Pourover (Gen 3) Filter, Traveling Road Show and Lottery  (Read 17531 times)

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
Re: Full: KONE Pourover (Gen 3) Filter, Traveling Road Show and Lottery
« Reply #45 on: January 07, 2013, 09:39:51 PM »
Since we are talking pourover. I just got 8 cup Chemex and am trying to prioritize what I buy next. Scale or goose neck with temp readout?

You can do good pourovers w/o a scale, but you can't do good pours w/o a good spout.  I doubt you need the temp readout either.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

BozemanEric

« Reply #46 on: January 07, 2013, 10:17:56 PM »
+1 on the kettle. An inexpensive meat or frothing thermoter will give you a fairly accurate temperature.

Offline staylor

• Standard User
  • Back in Canada and the espresso still tastes good.
« Reply #47 on: January 08, 2013, 12:11:51 AM »
Since we are talking pourover. I just got 8 cup Chemex and am trying to prioritize what I buy next. Scale or goose neck with temp readout?

You can do good pourovers w/o a scale, but you can't do good pours w/o a good spout.  I doubt you need the temp readout either.

I don't know about that, Peter. I would buy a scale before I would buy a good spout, here's why...

- My 6 cup Chemex always sits on my scale. The chemex is glass, the kitchen countertops are granite, that's a bad combination. The scale protects the Chemex.
- Because my Chemex always sits on my scale, when it comes time to get some coffee going I turn on the scale, grab my Kone 2 and put it in the Chemex, tare the scale and then pour my whole beans into the Kone 2 until I get 23-24gms. The beans get poured into my grinder. The ground beans then get poured back into my Kone 2 which sits in the Chemex. I can pour an exact 50-60mg pre-infusion (whatever strikes my fancy that morning) and I can pour exactly to my 400mg end weight. Without a scale, all of this becomes guesswork and that means imprecise trends.

(Besides, scales cost $20, it's a no-brainer)

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #48 on: January 08, 2013, 08:43:25 AM »

I don't know about that, Peter. I would buy a scale before I would buy a good spout, here's why...

- My 6 cup Chemex always sits on my scale. The chemex is glass, the kitchen countertops are granite, that's a bad combination. The scale protects the Chemex.
- Because my Chemex always sits on my scale, when it comes time to get some coffee going I turn on the scale, grab my Kone 2 and put it in the Chemex, tare the scale and then pour my whole beans into the Kone 2 until I get 23-24gms. The beans get poured into my grinder. The ground beans then get poured back into my Kone 2 which sits in the Chemex. I can pour an exact 50-60mg pre-infusion (whatever strikes my fancy that morning) and I can pour exactly to my 400mg end weight. Without a scale, all of this becomes guesswork and that means imprecise trends.

(Besides, scales cost $20, it's a no-brainer)

I guess I was assuming he already has a scale for weighing the beans.  But if not, for sure, a scale (and a cotter pin for the kettle spout mod).  I like your method, as it only requires one scale.  I also like the idea of varying the amount for pre-infusion/bloom, since the idea is to fully saturate and that will vary with amount of coffee, etc.

I still think volume is a close enough measure for the water.  If I put 14oz. in my kettle, there may be some loss to steam, and the grounds will absorb some, but IMHO those variables are small enough to not be detectable in the cup flavors.

Some of my resistance to scales for brewing pourovers is due to my method of brewing directly into my mug and not using a carafe, so much of my opinions won't carry over to most of youse guys.

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
  • splitting bags and having fun
« Reply #49 on: March 07, 2018, 04:21:06 PM »
I adjusted grind and water temp and got some good results, but in the end the cup it produces is just not for me. Thanks again to everyone who made this happen. I saved $60 and better yet, I was saved from seeing that look on my wife's face when I brought another coffee toy into the house.  :)
I am shipping it off to dfluke tomorrow morning.

This has been my experience as well and I had the version 1 for the good part of a year. Compared side by side with any other filter/brew method....The results were never in favor of a Kone
[url=http://www.greencoffeebuyingclub.com/index.php?board=37

RobertL

« Reply #50 on: March 07, 2018, 05:21:48 PM »
Holy thread revival Batman!! Posting a reply to a six year old thread?! :o

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #51 on: March 07, 2018, 06:44:56 PM »
Different strokes for different folks...

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
« Reply #52 on: March 07, 2018, 09:49:09 PM »
Sometimes one of the Google bots is looking at an old thread and when I follow it around it finds some pretty cool old conversations from long ago.

8) ;D

Plus like poking a stick at Peter every once and while on his sore spots. LOL

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
« Reply #53 on: March 07, 2018, 09:51:34 PM »
Different strokes for different folks...

I know ;) just messing with you Peter, I knew it would smoke you out. Surprised Robert noticed though  :D

Attached some photos of a $5 Kone killer...from uberzon
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 10:09:54 PM by Joe »

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #54 on: March 08, 2018, 08:06:37 AM »
Trust me, I have plenty of people who like to push my buttons...

I had no idea about the existence of the Uberzon, and love the looks of it. 

And yet, I can't get myself to accept the opinion of the Uberzon coming from someone who doesn't even have the skillset to get a decent cup out of a Kone.   ;D

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
« Reply #55 on: March 08, 2018, 09:48:54 AM »
Don't get mad at Alan and slam him for not being able to taste the magic of the Kone ;D

Uberzon is a discount finder app for Amazon. So it might be a super expensive $15 but it goes on sale for like $5 and it lets you know. The brand is icosa actually.

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #56 on: March 08, 2018, 11:04:18 AM »
Don't get mad at Alan and slam him for not being able to taste the magic of the Kone ;D

Uberzon is a discount finder app for Amazon. So it might be a super expensive $15 but it goes on sale for like $5 and it lets you know. The brand is icosa actually.

Thanks, I'm going to look into that... maybe even start another traveling roadshow with it.

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
« Reply #57 on: March 08, 2018, 11:09:55 AM »

Thanks, I'm going to look into that... maybe even start another traveling roadshow with it.

Yes! I want to really get the road shows going again. I know one guy stole a bunch of cigars an such and that really put a damper on the fun of the roadshows but I think we can maybe give it another go on cheaper items. This pour over is actually listed at $50 I bought it literally for $5 but there are several competetors that are basically the same thing for like $15

like these:

Offline ptrmorton

• Standard User
« Reply #58 on: March 08, 2018, 11:13:15 AM »
That is a great find Joe.  I've been ignoring Uberzone as the products weren't very interesting lately.  It may be worth some more time on it.  Thanks.
AZ Peter

Proverbs 3:5-6

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
« Reply #59 on: March 08, 2018, 11:13:16 AM »
Here is the link to the one I have and use. It's on the expensive side if purchased outside of uberzon /Amazon.

Also if you haven't got one of these I highly recommend it for any pour over. Osaka is on my short list of amazing products consistently found cheap, I have not received any samples for review nor do I have any reason not to give a completely honest opinion of these products:
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 11:19:49 AM by Joe »