Author Topic: Porcelain and Aluminum Stovetop Coffee Maker - Traveling Road Show  (Read 11663 times)

BoldJava

Re: Porcelain and Aluminum Stovetop Coffee Maker - Traveling Road Show
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2012, 10:38:09 AM »
Water level is critical.  Fill right to below the safety bleed valve.  Easily seen from the inside (and the brass safety bleed, below).  7.5oz does it.

Coffee level.  Fill right to the first ring.  I used 16.0 grams.  Note the grind:  Right between espresso and pourover.  So you can appreciate relative size, my pourover is 5.0 grind.  My espresso is 2.2 grind.  I use a 3.5 grind with mokka pots.

No tamping.  Just a couple of knocks to ensure it is level.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 11:12:33 AM by BoldJava »

BoldJava

« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2012, 10:56:15 AM »
Temp setting.  Over the years, I have found that lower temps result in a smoother, better extracted cup.  Note the med-lo stove setting on mine.  This takes about 20 minutes from a cold burner w/trivet.  You can start it much hotter but get back to the stove to slow it down going into the steam phase.  I am more a putzer, ritual type person.  I have the rest of my life to make coffee -- rush seems unnecessary.

Note:  I use an oven glove to remove the entire pot from the stove when the 6.75 oz is done brewing.  You can use bare hand on the porcelain top portion but I prefer to get the entire unit off the stove when done.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 04:02:49 PM by BoldJava »

BoldJava

« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2012, 11:00:29 AM »
Finished cup:  skosh under 7 oz.

BoldJava

« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2012, 11:01:07 AM »
Barely any sludge.

BoldJava

« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2012, 11:13:34 AM »
Now that I am done ferting around, I will brew a pot with some fresh Brazilian.  Coming up.

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2012, 11:15:18 AM »
Now that I am done ferting around, I will brew a pot with some fresh Brazilian.  Coming up.

In 20, 19, 18...
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

jbviau

« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2012, 11:40:39 AM »
re: "fill right to the first ring," I've seen a number of guides for moka pots that recommend filling the basket to the brim and leveling. This one's different, I take it, or are you downdosing? I've never tried this method, myself, and am looking forward to getting my feet wet with it (hopefully not literally).
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 11:42:15 AM by jbviau »

BoldJava

« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2012, 11:54:46 AM »
re: "fill right to the first ring," I've seen a number of guides for moka pots that recommend filling the basket to the brim and leveling. This one's different, I take it, or are you downdosing?...

This basket is oversized relative to others mokka pot grounds holders.  Fill to the first ring -- it's 16 gr which is correct for the volume of coffee.

BoldJava

« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2012, 11:58:55 AM »
Aerolatte cup.

Excellent.  Brazils are always nice in mokka pots. I rate this cup superior to other mokka pots (used a raft of Bialettis) and on a par with my Alessi.  Extremely clean, not muddy.  Strong.  Accentuates the acidity and tangerine in this Brazil.  Great as a straight cup; no over-extracted tastes/hints in there.  I would nurse/sip this for 20 minutes.

I then steamed 4 oz of whole milk and made a cafe' au lait (for Jeff and Tex) with the remaining 6 oz of the brewed mokka coffee.  Good cup but too fluffy, too milk-based for me. Czarina would love it. I will try this again during the week at about a 7/1.5 ratio, coffee/milk.

A definite keeper, both aesthetically/tactile and cup-wise.  Love it.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 04:04:26 PM by BoldJava »

BoldJava

« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2013, 05:49:06 AM »
Josh dropped me a note.  Oh my!

We have been packing and prepping for a move.  Czarina said, "I thought you were going to send this one out?"  Sorry about that, it will be in the mail this morning.

Order:
JBViau,
ecc,
HeadChange and,
SJM.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 05:50:40 AM by BoldJava »

jbviau

« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2013, 08:32:37 AM »
Ha, no worries. Hope the move goes well.

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
  • Roaster: 4# RK Drum
Porcelain and Aluminum Stovetop Coffee Maker - Traveling Road Show
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2013, 12:00:32 PM »
I read back through the thread, but just to be clear, there is show roadshow cost on this one? Just making the rounds?

BoldJava

« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2013, 12:25:24 PM »
I read back through the thread, but just to be clear, there is show roadshow cost on this one? Just making the rounds?

No cost.  Enjoy and share your results.

B|Java

jbviau

« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2013, 07:08:57 PM »
Just a quick note to say that the brewer arrived yesterday (thanks). I'll start messing around with it tomorrow and report back.

BoldJava

« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2013, 05:01:24 AM »
Got a note from Josh; he is playing with the Aerolatte.  He wanted to know where to grab one.  Amazon has jacked the price.  Seattle Gear has best price, $45 shipped after discount on site.

http://www.seattlecoffeegear.com/aerolatte-porcellana-stove-top-espresso-maker

For those of you trying this coffee maker, it is great with a good Brazil.

B|Java