Author Topic: Porcelain and Aluminum Stovetop Coffee Maker - Traveling Road Show  (Read 11677 times)

BoldJava

Re: Porcelain and Aluminum Stovetop Coffee Maker - Traveling Road Show
« Reply #45 on: February 11, 2013, 08:22:58 AM »
Todd, what's with the tri-colored sand egg-timers?

SJM

« Reply #46 on: February 11, 2013, 09:38:32 AM »
Before I forget, I did try this and came away unimpressed with the time it saved me. Still took 4 min. on med. heat to make my coffee. Maybe I was too slow in transferring water from my Bonavita kettle to the moka pot? Anyway, I wouldn't pre-heat in the future.

I don't think the reason for doing this is to "save time", although I can't tell you what the reason IS. 
Also, 5 minutes is the time I have understood to be the benchmark for the time it takes to brew....

Susan

ecc

« Reply #47 on: February 11, 2013, 11:48:52 AM »
There seems to be few places that might be hard to get to, pic to explain!

EDIT: That didn't work, I will try plan B
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 12:09:54 PM by ecc »

jbviau

« Reply #48 on: February 11, 2013, 12:46:30 PM »
yakster, nope, haven't tried it.

Susan, agreed. I don't get why the Stumptown people are so adamant about it. Pre-heating did cut my brew time in half. I'd just expected more of a difference in terms of time. Anyway, I'm not usually so rushed that it matters.

ecc

« Reply #49 on: February 11, 2013, 01:13:59 PM »
Trying again
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 01:16:10 PM by ecc »

BoldJava

« Reply #50 on: February 11, 2013, 03:55:52 PM »
One of the most unique mokka pots I have ever seen is on sale at O/E.  $20.  Novel style.  http://www.orphanespresso.com/Vintage-UNRESTORED-Nova-Espress-4-cup-Moka-Pot-Espresso-Maker_p_5062.html#

ecc

« Reply #51 on: February 11, 2013, 04:15:54 PM »
Todd, what's with the tri-colored sand egg-timers?

That's an analog timer I've been trying out, the green is 3 minutes, red is 4, yellow is five.  Accurate to within 10-15 seconds, everyday aesthetic is nicer than a digital timer.  Roadshow?  ;D

SJM

« Reply #52 on: February 12, 2013, 09:51:53 AM »
Jason, when you get your turn with this coffee maker, why don't you just send it back home to Bold/Java, please.
I have figured out that I'm not really in need of another mocca pot, so I'd rather not tempt myself by trying this one out. 

Thanks
Susan

ecc

« Reply #53 on: February 18, 2013, 12:25:17 PM »

I thoroughly enjoyed my time with the B|aerolatte.  It is impressive to get that quality of coffee out of a moka pot.  I think I will be picking one of these up for the collection.

Thanks Dave! Sending this on to hc4u tomorrow. 

BoldJava

« Reply #54 on: February 18, 2013, 12:44:36 PM »

Order:
JBViau,
ecc,

HeadChange and,
SJM and

back to Dave

SJM

« Reply #55 on: March 15, 2013, 11:20:55 AM »
So, I had to have one of these.  It arrived this morning and I've brewed my first pot using old coffee per B/J's lead just to clean out the new pot smells and tastes.

Question:  how did/do you get the porcelain top off the base without spilling coffee out of the spout?
Another question:  since the porcelain top isn't attached to the base, do you use the filler tube as a handle to get the base up and off the stove?

It's cute.
I'll brew some "real" coffee soon and see how it stacks up against the stainless steel 6-cup that I have and which is my current favorite brew.

Susan