Author Topic: Full Up: Takahiro Kettle - The Road Show, $12 for 10 entrants, ordered  (Read 28080 times)

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
Re: Full Up: Takahiro Kettle - The Road Show, $12 for 10 entrants, ordered
« Reply #105 on: February 17, 2013, 10:50:53 AM »
The pour determines the evenness and fullness of the extraction.  You don't want to waste coffee that's high-and-dry on the edge of the filter and not giving it up to the brew and you don't want to over-extract a channel of coffee in the center.  The kettle and the filter shape both play a part in this.

I see you won't be enjoying the one button push french roast k cup anytime soon.
 ;)
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

BoldJava

« Reply #106 on: February 17, 2013, 10:57:17 AM »

I see you won't be enjoying the one button push french roast k cup anytime soon.
 ;)

I can see that you clearly haven't met the Yak-man.  Why that boy is way, way out there on the geek-plank. <hoot, hoot>

EricBNC

« Reply #107 on: February 17, 2013, 02:23:56 PM »
The pour determines the evenness and fullness of the extraction.  You don't want to waste coffee that's high-and-dry on the edge of the filter and not giving it up to the brew and you don't want to over-extract a channel of coffee in the center.  The kettle and the filter shape both play a part in this.

True, but this requires only a steady hand and a waterproof container. The question of technique is not questioned at all, but the device to deliver the water is less important.

Lately I am watching the clock less and following the pulse of the bloom crust more - bloom crust goes down, more water goes in in a rhythmic pulse. Once the grind is dialed in this method gets me a time similar to my more technical clocked pours. The Bonavita spout allows for this level of control even if I am sure it will not fill an eye dropper from a foot away...

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #108 on: February 17, 2013, 04:08:25 PM »
Whenever you reach a level of total satisfaction stopping there sounds logical.

I will say that for those that see the differences between pouring kettles and in the cup it could matter. Those that dont obviously it wont.

"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Offline rgrosz78

• Standard User
« Reply #109 on: February 17, 2013, 05:07:20 PM »
Lately I am watching the clock less and following the pulse of the bloom crust more - bloom crust goes down, more water goes in in a rhythmic pulse. Once the grind is dialed in this method gets me a time similar to my more technical clocked pours. The Bonavita spout allows for this level of control even if I am sure it will not fill an eye dropper from a foot away...
This sounds exactly like my technique. I only do single cup pour-overs, which are less demanding than the larger volumes.
Life is too short to drink bad wine (or bad coffee!)

BoldJava

« Reply #110 on: February 25, 2013, 05:46:56 AM »
The Takahiro 900 ml kettle moves on to MMW tomorrow.  I put it up mainly against the 700 ml Tiamo that I got from Trader Bold . . .

It is a knock-off, though probably the same manufacturer with whom Tiamo contracts.

Offline fore

• Standard User
« Reply #111 on: February 25, 2013, 08:33:46 AM »
I hate to interrupt the road show, but I'm finding I want to drink more coffee now during the day (the roasts are just so tasty!), and I'd love to do just one cup.  So I'm thinking of buying the V60-2 cup, hario filters, and a pot.  I can go as cheap as $30 for the Bonavita stove kettle, $52 for the hario, or $65 for the 1l Tiamo.  Suggestions?  I'm not looking for the perfect setup, just something that'll give me a nice pourover cup.

Thanks everyone!

BoldJava

« Reply #112 on: February 25, 2013, 09:09:38 AM »
I hate to interrupt the road show, but I'm finding I want to drink more coffee now during the day (the roasts are just so tasty!), and I'd love to do just one cup.  So I'm thinking of buying the V60-2 cup, hario filters, and a pot.  I can go as cheap as $30 for the Bonavita stove kettle, $52 for the hario, or $65 for the 1l Tiamo.  Suggestions?  I'm not looking for the perfect setup, just something that'll give me a nice pourover cup.

Thanks everyone!

I like the Paico off eBay for $35 shipped.  It holds 1.2L and you are covered if you ever go to larger batches.

Offline fore

• Standard User
« Reply #113 on: February 25, 2013, 10:23:51 AM »
Thanks guys!  Seems very convenient to have the electric where you just set the temp and not worry about it.  Thanks for the suggestions!  I'll go this way, or save with the Paico.  I gotta order today if I want the Bonavita.  (I'm off to Australia tom. for 20th anniversary...sorry, just had to throw that out lol)

BoldJava

« Reply #114 on: February 25, 2013, 10:27:52 AM »
... (I'm off to Australia tom. for 20th anniversary...sorry, just had to throw that out lol)

Congrats on the anniversary.  We did Mexico City up bright red for our 20th.

Offline fore

• Standard User
« Reply #115 on: February 25, 2013, 11:22:41 AM »
Thanks BoldJava!  I can't believe we made it this long.  Almost every other married couple friends we've had over the yrs are all divorced.  I consider myself extremely lucky ;)

BoldJava

« Reply #116 on: March 09, 2013, 06:19:04 AM »
Location?  Update?

Offline rgrosz78

• Standard User
« Reply #117 on: March 09, 2013, 06:42:14 AM »
Thanks guys!  Seems very convenient to have the electric where you just set the temp and not worry about it.  Thanks for the suggestions!  I'll go this way, or save with the Paico.  I gotta order today if I want the Bonavita.  (I'm off to Australia tom. for 20th anniversary...sorry, just had to throw that out lol)
Hope you're drinking some great Australian red wines while you're there (like Torbreck).
Life is too short to drink bad wine (or bad coffee!)

Offline staylor

• Standard User
  • Back in Canada and the espresso still tastes good.
« Reply #118 on: March 09, 2013, 08:20:55 AM »
Hope you're drinking some great Australian red wines while you're there (like Torbreck).

We spent a month in Australia in Oct 2010 and no matter where we shopped the Australian wines were more expensive in Australia than the exact same Australian wines we could buy in Canada. The only deals to be had were visiting the actual estates and buying a 3-pack.

Offline fore

• Standard User
« Reply #119 on: March 13, 2013, 11:53:38 AM »

We spent a month in Australia in Oct 2010 and no matter where we shopped the Australian wines were more expensive in Australia than the exact same Australian wines we could buy in Canada. The only deals to be had were visiting the actual estates and buying a 3-pack.

Quick update, fantastic trip!  Great wine, (which I totally agree with Staylor even in US btw which is strange.)  Even had a small roaster there with three coffees to sample via 25sec pourover lol, of same bean but wet, dry and semi wet processed beans.  This was assoc. with the food and wine show.   Talked also about the trend there to use the cherry husk (I think that's the term for the leftover outer shell after processing) for roasting and drinking. 

Now, back to the Tak ;)