Author Topic: Full Up: Takahiro Kettle - The Road Show, $12 for 10 entrants, ordered  (Read 28037 times)

BoldJava

Re: Full Up: Takahiro Kettle - The Road Show, $12 for 10 entrants, ordered
« Reply #120 on: March 13, 2013, 12:17:13 PM »
Where is the Tak and do we have a report?

jimbo

« Reply #121 on: March 13, 2013, 04:40:14 PM »
I heard from MMW earlier this week.  He is putting in the mail to me.  I am out of town, but my wife will let me know when it arrives.  I'll be home this weekend, and if it shows up will give it a go.  Back on the road next week (ah, what a life) so if I can use it over the weekend, I'll have my wife ship it on next week.

Jimbo

BoldJava

« Reply #122 on: March 13, 2013, 04:43:29 PM »
I heard from MMW earlier this week.  He is putting in the mail to me.  I am out of town, but my wife will let me know when it arrives.  I'll be home this weekend, and if it shows up will give it a go.  Back on the road next week (ah, what a life) so if I can use it over the weekend, I'll have my wife ship it on next week.

Jimbo

Make sure you spend sufficient time with it.

jimbo

« Reply #123 on: March 16, 2013, 07:47:04 AM »
Happily, the kettle was sitting on my counter when Delta finally decided I could go home. 

My initial thought as I pulled it out of the box was , hummm, that's a bit small.  But then, I don't know what I expected since it is .9L.  Clearly I'm not the brightest bean.

Used it this morning.  Size is not an issue.  I heated my water in my electric kettle as usual and transferred it to the pre-heated Takahiro. 

This is the first time I have used a kettle like this, and was pleasantly surprised.  I have been able to develop pretty good control using my electric kettle, but the Takahiro takes much less effort.

I think the only con for me is the price.  Having used it I can see the value of having something like it, especially since I do pourover every day, but I think I will opt for one of the less expensive models initially.

Jimbo

Offline rgrosz78

• Standard User
« Reply #124 on: March 21, 2013, 06:51:59 PM »
Kettle arrived yesterday, and I will comparisons Friday. Here are the contestants, ready to square off. All I could think when I opened the box was
OOOOOOOOOH ... SHINY!!!!  ;D

My Hario V60 looks positively gray  :o
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 06:54:11 PM by rgrosz78 »
Life is too short to drink bad wine (or bad coffee!)

BoldJava

« Reply #125 on: March 21, 2013, 07:07:15 PM »
The Tak is one gorgeous pot.

Offline rgrosz78

• Standard User
« Reply #126 on: March 25, 2013, 07:38:59 PM »
The Takahiro moves on to HeadChange4U tomorrow.  I tested it against my Hario Buono, which I use for single cup brewing. I felt the kettles were VERY similar in performance.

My experience matched that of several others:

As I mentioned in the pour-over thread, the Takahiro seemed to be front loaded and balance with the spout down so you need to tip it up to control the pour.  There were a couple of times when I picked up the kettle where I accidentally spilled some water, something to watch for.

I have a flow restrictor in the Hario, and it gives a more vertical pour than the Tak. I never did get used to the balance of the Tak, but I could with more practice ... I've done hundreds of pours with the Hario Buono.

... have you found it easier to control with less water in it?  That's been the case for me, I used to fill it up all the way to do my pourovers, but now I just put in a bit more water than I really need (200-300g).

+1 much easier to handle both kettles when they are NOT full.

Lately I am watching the clock less and following the pulse of the bloom crust more - bloom crust goes down, more water goes in in a rhythmic pulse. Once the grind is dialed in this method gets me a time similar to my more technical clocked pours.

+1 this sounds like exactly what I do.

I posted some videos on the pourover thread. They show 10 ounce pourovers - the Hario Buono takes 1:50 verus 2:10 using the Takahiro.

jano

« Reply #127 on: March 26, 2013, 05:24:02 PM »
Flow restrictor didn't fit the tak?

Offline rgrosz78

• Standard User
« Reply #128 on: March 26, 2013, 05:59:56 PM »
Well, DUH!! I didn't even think to try it in the Tak  :-[

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #129 on: March 26, 2013, 06:03:10 PM »
Flow restrictor in the Tak.... My mind hurts.  :-[
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

jano

« Reply #130 on: March 27, 2013, 07:25:52 AM »
Well, DUH!! I didn't even think to try it in the Tak  :-[
I guess the whole idea of the tak is to eliminate the flow restrictor?  That's why I didn't assume you tried it.. that, and assume makes an a.. oh, nevermind.

I ended up removing the flow restrictor from my hario because although I really liked the controlled pour, it prevents a faster pour if desired.  I still have it, and when the tak finds its home with me, I'll try it out :)

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #131 on: March 27, 2013, 07:45:25 AM »
I guess the whole idea of the tak is to eliminate the flow restrictor?

I think that is the idea of all the pouring kettles. I only have direct experience with the Tak so I only really know how it performs.

In short the Tak provides a level of control that exceeds our human hands. I assume some other kettles also provide a higher level of control than we can use/need for preparing coffee. Some other kettles are not exactly at that level so mods might help them...

I can see no reason at all to mod any of the best kettles that offer smooth control all the way down to the droplet...

It's all in the wrist baby!  ;)

"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

BoldJava

« Reply #132 on: March 27, 2013, 07:53:26 AM »

I can see no reason at all to mod any of the best kettles that offer smooth control all the way down to the droplet...

It's all in the wrist baby!  ;)

+1.  You can put a drop at a time any place with the Tak.  I am not sure what purpose the flow restrictor would serve.  Used one on the Hario I used to have (peddled it) but that is a horse of a different color.

jimbo

« Reply #133 on: March 29, 2013, 07:57:04 AM »
Well, after having the Tak for a few days I realized the value of having a kettle like this.  So ... I am now the proud owner of a Hario kettle.  Used it for the first time this morning.  The amount of control over my electric kettle is unreal.  I didn't know what I was missing until the Tak opened my eyes.

My blissful ignorance is once again shattered.

Jimbo

PozzSka

« Reply #134 on: April 16, 2013, 06:09:32 AM »
I received the kettle yesterday, and promptly put it to use. 

Pros: terrific pour control, very attractive, great size for 1 -2 cups,
Cons: handle isn't as ergonomic as my Bonavita, too small for 1L Chemex/pour over (and I typically make 1L at a time), my pinky would get very hot when resting at the bottom of the handle, it does get hot.

Cool little kettle, and I commented to my wife this morning that it would be a perfect kettle for a coffee shop that does multiple different manual brews, since it's only 1-2 cups big, so 2 x 12oz cups of coffee would be easily doable, and would be a very attractive piece on the shelf to invite customers to order.