Author Topic: Full Up: Takahiro Kettle - The Road Show, $12 for 10 entrants, ordered  (Read 27802 times)

Offline bekeld

• Standard User
  • Espresso: QuickMill Roaster: Behmor, HGDB
Re: Re: Full Up: Takahiro Kettle - The Road Show, $12 for 10 entrants, ordered
« Reply #45 on: January 26, 2013, 09:44:41 AM »
Please cup it before the use by date and let me know how I can improve that roast. 
... First I have to roast something as I left my Kenyan Gotomboya at Dave's. 

Gee, I'm not sure if I have enough beans. .. :o

Left?  I had it hidden on the top of the piano in the den for my personal stash <grins>.  It's here...

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
Re: Full Up: Takahiro Kettle - The Road Show, $12 for 10 entrants, ordered
« Reply #46 on: January 26, 2013, 10:04:42 AM »
I did some pouring w/ both the Paico and Takahiro, but why I didn't think to put my modded Bonavita out for the test-drive I'll never know.

While I found the Paico could do as slow a trickle as the Tak, it was far less easy to do so.  It was like a knife edge w/ the Paico; a little more water and it was too much, just a little less water and it was dribbling.  So I'd give the thumbs up to the Takahiro for fine control because it was far easier to hit the fine stream and had a wider sweet spot for that tight control.  While the Paico can do it, it would be very difficult to do the fine stream while move the kettle around and aiming at different parts of the slurry and/or bloom.  When they were empty, the Paico was noticeably lighter, but still didn't feel flimsy or poorly made.

If I had the funds and thought I was going to need a kettle that would last my lifetime and be handed down to future generations, the Takahiro felt it was up to it and would be my choice.

All that said, I believe my modded Bonavita is even easier to pour w/ than the Takahiro.  But again, if I was doing a pourover or three every day for the rest of my life I'm sure I'd be buying a new Bonavita every so often and the Tak would be sitting there proudly with a smirk on its spout, as that thing ain't never wearing out.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #47 on: January 26, 2013, 10:59:02 AM »
It's probably less than $5 a year....totally cheap.  8)
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

BoldJava

« Reply #48 on: January 26, 2013, 11:00:40 AM »
It's probably less than $5 a year....totally cheap.  8)

I know it was a joke but it's true.  That is the way I look at a purchase like this.  Good on you.  If I didn't feel a need to have a 1.2 liter (almost opted for the 1.6 but that would be too heavy), I would buy the Tak for the duration of this earthly venture.

Offline bekeld

• Standard User
« Reply #49 on: January 27, 2013, 07:19:26 PM »
1st look: Hario vs Takahiro
Venue: kitchen sink
Pour: Continuous, no other movement
Hand: dominant (R)
Problem1: How does the flow of water from a kettle vary with small hand movements?
Problem2: Does the weight of a kettle create fatigue in the pouring hand? (I have focal dystonia in my pointer and middle fingers which radiates to the rest of the hand and wrist.)
Hypothesis: I predict that the flow of water from the Takahiro will be controlled easier with less fatigue and fewer muscle movements than the Hario.

Data Hario-hand: the angle of the handle allows change in the pour stream with movements of the pinky finger and outside edge of hand. Remainder of hand supports kettle. Material of handle (resin/plastic?) helps to create friction so hand does not slip. A straight handle helps to lessen muscle fatigue. At the end of the session, hand did have a minimal amount of stiffness in the knuckles and outside of arm by the wrist.

Data Hario-pour: had some difficulty controlling rate of pour. Varied between fat stream and rapid dripping. Many times larger hand motions were needed to restart pour.

Data Takahiro-hand: the curvature of the handle allows change in the pour stream with movements of pointer and middle fingers. Remainder of hand supports kettle. Material of handle (stainless steel) does not create friction, thereby making the hand grip harder to compensate. At the end of the session, hand had considerable pain in the pointer/middle fingers and wrist.

Data Takahiro-pour: any difficulty controlling rate of pour was a result of pain. Pour was extremely responsive to muscle movements. It was easy to over-control.

Conclusion: My hypothesis was not supported. However, several factors may have affected these results.
1. Did not have a rest period for the hand between the different kettles.
2. Did not control for variables of time of pour or for weight of water.
Repeat the experiment twice, using 500 grams of water and 4 minute pour timed by the Pour Over iPad app. Rest for 5 minutes between pours. For the first time, use the Takahiro first then the Hario then switch kettles for the second.

jano

« Reply #50 on: January 27, 2013, 10:37:10 PM »
Data Hario-pour: had some difficulty controlling rate of pour. Varied between fat stream and rapid dripping. Many times larger hand motions were needed to restart pour.

Excluding the other unfortunate issue you have to live with at the moment, have you found it easier to control with less water in it?  That's been the case for me, I used to fill it up all the way to do my pourovers, but now I just put in a bit more water than I really need (200-300g).

Offline bekeld

• Standard User
« Reply #51 on: January 28, 2013, 03:58:22 AM »
...have you found it easier to control with less water in it?  That's been the case for me, I used to fill it up all the way to do my pourovers, but now I just put in a bit more water than I really need (200-300g).
I will look at that tonight before I do a controlled head-to-head.

BoldJava

« Reply #52 on: January 28, 2013, 04:00:30 AM »

Get your science class busy on a project with it... <wink>

Offline bekeld

• Standard User
« Reply #53 on: January 28, 2013, 04:32:11 AM »

Get your science class busy on a project with it... <wink>
Alas, if only I had a class looking at the physics of fluids. We're in Agriculture (Environmental Science) and evolution (Bio). But that does give me an idea... 8)

Offline bekeld

• Standard User
« Reply #54 on: February 03, 2013, 01:59:51 PM »
have you found it easier to control with less water in it?  That's been the case for me, I used to fill it up all the way to do my pourovers, but now I just put in a bit more water than I really need (200-300g).
Jano, using 200g of water, I found that it was easier to control the pour with the Hario. The Takahiro was too finicky--I couldn't stop quickly enough to stop at 200 or to pour only a few drops to slide into 200. I was always 3-6g over.

Some of that may be fine motor control--I don't have it.

Final thoughts:
Pros: does not dribble
Bling factor
Wide mouth
Easy to clean
Pours a very fine stream

Cons: must be towel-dried if you don't water spots
Scratches will show
Learning curve
Handle is slippery

The Hario and Bonavita are comfy to use. No frills, no fuss. The Takahiro sits there and demands more from you. I can see it sneering if I used it on a roast that just wasn't quite there, but am drinking it anyway because it's good enough.

It's not worth the extra $85 to me. Moving on to Montana as soon as I get an address.

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #55 on: February 03, 2013, 02:28:11 PM »

Moving to Montana soon .

Gonna raise me up some dental floss.  Raisin' it up, waxin' it down.  Put it in little boxes that I can sell up town.

Father Frank, in case you don't know.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline bekeld

• Standard User
« Reply #56 on: February 03, 2013, 02:38:06 PM »
I had no clue...thank heavens for Google.
Frank Zappa Moving To Montana

BozemanEric

« Reply #57 on: February 03, 2013, 02:58:50 PM »
My personal favorite Montana qoute:

“I’m in love with Montana. For other states I have admiration, respect, recognition, even some affection. But with Montana it is love. And it’s difficult to analyze love when you’re in it ...”
–John Steinbeck, Travels with Charley

I am patiently awaiting the arrival of the lavish kettle.

Offline bekeld

• Standard User
« Reply #58 on: February 03, 2013, 03:29:13 PM »
Never mind.  :-[

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #59 on: February 03, 2013, 05:58:16 PM »
I think it would be interesting for every final review to decide if they think it's worth the $85 or not.
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison