Author Topic: Full Up: Takahiro Kettle - The Road Show, $12 for 10 entrants, ordered  (Read 27449 times)

BozemanEric

Re: Full Up: Takahiro Kettle - The Road Show, $12 for 10 entrants, ordered
« Reply #60 on: February 03, 2013, 06:05:39 PM »
I think it would be interesting for every final review to decide if they think it's worth the $85 or not.

Knowing myself, if I think it is $120 kettle, I will end up buying one.

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #61 on: February 03, 2013, 07:34:35 PM »
Yeah...two pours and you are buying one.  8)
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Offline bekeld

• Standard User
  • Espresso: QuickMill Roaster: Behmor, HGDB
« Reply #62 on: February 03, 2013, 07:49:45 PM »
I really, really wanted this to work for me, but the road show did what it was supposed to do. The "ooh, shiny!" lost to real life. Now I have to wait for another shiny thing to come around so I can say "Huzzah! It must be mine"! ;D

« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 08:01:03 PM by bekeld »

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #63 on: February 03, 2013, 08:13:54 PM »

Moving to Montana soon .

Gonna raise me up some dental floss.  Raisin' it up, waxin' it down.  Put it in little boxes that I can sell up town.

Father Frank, in case you don't know.

Frank was a genius.

Pro tip, don't attempt to karoke "Dinah Moe Hum"  in mixed company.

The voice of reason.  Or perhaps, experience.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

jimbo

« Reply #64 on: February 09, 2013, 08:24:32 AM »
My thoughts on this, before I get my hands one the bling.

I am going in as a doubting Thomas.  I can't imagine it being worth the price.  But, I have no experience with kettles of this sort, and definitely wanted to try before I buy.  Maybe when it makes its way to my house it will be able to bring me to the dark side.

For my money, I think I would prefer the Bonavita Variable Temperature Kettle. 

We'll see.

BozemanEric

« Reply #65 on: February 09, 2013, 02:32:39 PM »
She showed up today. I use she because this Kettle is just too pretty to be referred to as a he. Unfortunately, it was after my caffeine cut off time that the mailman dropped her off.  I am in the process of roasting some Gesha and the 2011 Colombia COE #1 so I can do some proper testing later in the week.

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #66 on: February 10, 2013, 06:49:27 AM »
  I can't imagine it being worth the price.

I had my doubts pre purchase but now (for me) it's easily worth it.

I like equipment that surpasses my ability/need more than I like it the other way around.
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

BozemanEric

« Reply #67 on: February 10, 2013, 02:23:52 PM »
After the limited use I will say, you can get a much slower pour out of this kettle than the Hario. In fact, I was not paying attention and during the first use I added a full minute to my pour over brew time using the same grind.  In the cup I cannot tell difference in taste or the amount of silt left in the bottom of the pot. If at weeks end, I decide this is a must-have accessory, I would want a larger kettle. The .9L is just small for all my needs.

I think the ergonomics on the Hario are better though. I did notice my arm and hand tiring towards the end of pours.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 02:39:37 PM by BozemanEric »

BozemanEric

« Reply #68 on: February 11, 2013, 05:52:44 AM »
The second day of use revealed a major design flaw for those of us in the high country.  My first pour over this morning was done with 24 ounces of water, close to the top of the pot. Water at my elevation boils at 203° so we usually use it right off, or on the edge of, a boil.  The small hole in the lid does not allow enough pressure to be released. The pot tends to geyser on the stove and while you are pouring it.  When I would first start the poor, the pressure of the boil would cause the spout to gush spurts of water that would hit the side of the Kone and the counter beyond. This aspect alone, for us living in elevation, could be a deal-breaker.

I am still holding steady with the belief that the kettle is still too small. It would never work for my larger Chemex.  I also still believe that the Hario is more comfortable in the hand as well.

I must add that, when the spout is not geysering, it has a more consistent pour that any kettle I have ever used.

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #69 on: February 11, 2013, 05:55:06 AM »
The second day of use revealed a major design flaw for those of us in the high country.

You just need the larger one.

Lee Morrison

BozemanEric

« Reply #70 on: February 11, 2013, 06:00:06 AM »

They don't make one yet, do they? I really think this would solve the problem.  I have to confess, I love the pour on this thing.  It is almost too exacting.

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #71 on: February 11, 2013, 06:06:28 AM »
I think the goat says they do make one.

Lee Morrison

BoldJava

« Reply #72 on: February 11, 2013, 06:25:29 AM »

They don't make one yet, do they? I really think this would solve the problem.  I have to confess, I love the pour on this thing.  It is almost too exacting.

Prima Coffee indicated to me in an email that a 1.5 liter can be ordered -- it's close to $200.

BozemanEric

« Reply #73 on: February 12, 2013, 06:52:33 AM »
I did paper in the V60 this morning and noticed that with this kettle I end up with almost an entirely flat bed of grounds after the brew. There are a few that hang on the side but almost all of the used grounds are perfectly level on the bottom. I have never gotten the uniformity with the Hario.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 07:23:03 AM by BozemanEric »

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #74 on: February 12, 2013, 09:02:07 AM »
What about the Hario is it that causes the grounds to not be flat?
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you