Author Topic: Full Up: Takahiro Kettle - The Road Show, $12 for 10 entrants, ordered  (Read 27460 times)

BozemanEric

Re: Full Up: Takahiro Kettle - The Road Show, $12 for 10 entrants, ordered
« Reply #75 on: February 12, 2013, 09:09:03 AM »
What about the Hario is it that causes the grounds to not be flat?

They are usually flat, just not as flat. I don't think I can get a slow enough pour out of the Hario to get them as level as I can with this kettle. All my extraction times, with the same grind, are longer using this kettle.  It pours a lot slower.

kaotep

« Reply #76 on: February 12, 2013, 09:54:31 AM »
sorry, are we talking about the different kettles flow rate as the cause of the phenomenon here? or just the kettle in general?

jano

« Reply #77 on: February 12, 2013, 10:01:23 AM »
sorry, are we talking about the different kettles flow rate as the cause of the phenomenon here? or just the kettle in general?

The kettle.  Behold its mystic powers :D  I jest, yes, he is talking about the flow rate. :)

On another note: a constant 3-4 minute dribble for 200g water using the hario is stressful.  I'm looking forward to trying this Kettle of Pouring.  Meantime, I'll continue the Matt Perger way.  Just curse that bloody Rao spin.. can't figger it out!

kaotep

« Reply #78 on: February 12, 2013, 10:03:56 AM »

The kettle.  Behold its mystic powers :D  I jest, yes, he is talking about the flow rate. :)

On another note: a constant 3-4 minute dribble for 200g water using the hario is stressful.  I'm looking forward to trying this Kettle of Pouring.  Meantime, I'll continue the Matt Perger way.  Just curse that bloody Rao spin.. can't figger it out!

wow, i gotta touch that kettle LOL

but yeah, i was thinking of plugging something inside the hario's spout to restrict the flow rate  :D

Offline rgrosz78

• Standard User
« Reply #79 on: February 12, 2013, 10:20:06 AM »
but yeah, i was thinking of plugging something inside the hario's spout to restrict the flow rate  :D
I have a flow restrictor in my Hario - it was a GREAT improvement IMHO.
Life is too short to drink bad wine (or bad coffee!)

jimbo

« Reply #80 on: February 12, 2013, 11:18:19 AM »

Prima Coffee indicated to me in an email that a 1.5 liter can be ordered -- it's close to $200.

The size is a limiting factor for me as well.  And, at $200 the larger one is not even an option.  so, at this point I'm just looking to see what difference this type of kettle makes over my Bodum kettle.

Jimbo

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #81 on: February 12, 2013, 01:26:11 PM »
so, at this point I'm just looking to see what difference this type of kettle makes over my Bodum kettle.

Jimbo

What are you brewing with?  If it's pourover, where you need control, try the cotter pin mod on your Bodum. 

I'm still convinced that for pouring control, the shape of the spout is more important than the rate of flow, and hence a flow restrictor is an afterthought. 
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

jimbo

« Reply #82 on: February 12, 2013, 01:59:45 PM »
Wow.  I had not read about this until you mentioned it Peter ...

http://www.greencoffeebuyingclub.com/index.php?topic=10596.0

Definitely worth trying out.  This weekend when I get home. 

Thanks for the tip.

Jimbo

BozemanEric

« Reply #83 on: February 15, 2013, 06:30:47 AM »
Takahiro Final Thoughts

First I need to preface this review by saying that I have never seen a kettle pour as consistently or fine as this one does.

That being said, I am unimpressed. I made a 24 ounce pour over this morning. It  spurted water all over our freshly cleaned stove then continue to geysered water onto the sides of the Kone on pour.  This might be a great kettle for someone that does single cup pours or someone living at sea level. However, it is not even a good kettle for me.  At this point, I would not even consider trading it for my Hario. I would consider the larger version but $200 is a little hard for me to swallow for a kettle. It is beautiful and I'm sure it works very well for some. For me, at 5000 feet, it was just not the right fit. I will have it boxed up and will try and get it on its way to the Bay Area today.

Follow-up:  My second round this morning was done at a 14 ounce pour. The kettle worked flawlessly.  Too bad I rarely do single cup pours.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 07:10:14 AM by BozemanEric »

BoldJava

« Reply #84 on: February 15, 2013, 07:08:20 AM »
Entrants:
1)  Bekeld, paid
2)  BozemanEric, paid

3)  Yakster, paid
4)  MMW, paid
5) Jimbo, paid
---
7) RGRosz78, paid
Eight)  HeadChange4U, paid
9) Pozzka, paid
10) FFFolks, paid
11) B|Java
---
Winner:
6) Jano, paid

Yakman, stay under the radar with this thing.

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #85 on: February 15, 2013, 02:18:47 PM »
  This might be a great kettle for someone that does single cup pours or someone living at sea level.

For me, at 5000 feet, it was just not the right fit.

Follow-up:  My second round this morning was done at a 14 ounce pour. The kettle worked flawlessly.  Too bad I rarely do single cup pours.
[/quote]

I'm at 5280' and the Tak is probably unbeatable for my uses. Unlike you and B I bigkettle I exclusively use it for single cup brewing.

I am surprised that the kettle gets thumbs down from both of the last reviewers...
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

BoldJava

« Reply #86 on: February 15, 2013, 02:48:32 PM »
I am surprised that the kettle gets thumbs down from both of the last reviewers...

It's a quality kettle. For that kind of money, though, I would like a good morning kiss.

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #87 on: February 15, 2013, 02:54:44 PM »

B|Mover says the Tak offers more control than his pouring technique calls for; he wasn't giving it a thumbs down, just doesn't need it. 
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #88 on: February 15, 2013, 03:02:21 PM »
Again, perspective...

I say the Tak does give a good morning kiss in the form of a big ol mug of coffee.
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

BoldJava

« Reply #89 on: February 15, 2013, 03:16:27 PM »
I didn't give it t'umbs down.  I think John was referring to BekelD and BozemanE.  I said that I would buy the 1.2L for $200 if I were to start all over again.  And, at my age, I take kisses when offered.